Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Jazz cancelling flights due to crew shortage - pre July 15!

Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Had a flight cancel today from YPR-YVR which had I not voluntarily eliminated a half day at my destination to switch to the earlier flight (only 2 a day) I would have missed a full day of work tomorrow. Was advised cancellation was due to lack of crew. I wonder if they are proactively scrapping flights before July 15 knowing they dont have enough staffing to avoid paying out $$ after July 15 when the new legislation kicks in? Apparently there were some other cancellations to Jazz flights in BC as well.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Had a flight cancel today from YPR-YVR which had I not voluntarily eliminated a half day at my destination to switch to the earlier flight (only 2 a day) I would have missed a full day of work tomorrow. Was advised cancellation was due to lack of crew. I wonder if they are proactively scrapping flights before July 15 knowing they dont have enough staffing to avoid paying out $$ after July 15 when the new legislation kicks in? Apparently there were some other cancellations to Jazz flights in BC as well.
I would say if they said it's crew then it's crew, Jazz really doesn't like to cancel unless it really necessary since with their CPA agreement with Air Canada they loose big bucks this type of cancellation.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I have already posted on another thread that my son and I are here in Toronto and always going through YYZ for the UP and hotel shuttles. The pattern I have seen is Regional airports in Ontario for cancelations and delays, Sudbury, London, Timmins etc. Today I saw Edmonton and Calgary, so trying to see a pattern. I am sure there may be staff challenges, I see so many air Canada employees on the UP, and hotel shuttles. I have not seen the crew from other airlines, so they must change before travel or have private transportation.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might not be crew issues but reassignment from less busy to more busy routes, based upon what's already booked. I had a YYZ-BOS flight cancelled a bit later than the 15th. Entailed changing the entire itinerary.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Had a flight cancel today [....] tomorrow. .... July 15 ....
How do you figure that crews getting "sleep" today will help two weeks from now?

Could be that all the senior crew took the day off, just one person got sick, and the standby crews did not answer their phones.

It is a day, after all.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My understanding is that there is a limit to monthly crew hours. If someone ran the numbers and figures their planned flying in July would exceed available hours for July then cancelling flights before July 15 without compensation to pax would be a smart financial move in order to come under the hours cap.....still bad for pax obviously. Someone may chime in to confirm this is how it works but thats my understanding and why you sometimes see crew shortages at the end of a month.

LOOKS like the delay provisions dont kick in until Dec.
sokolov likes this.

Last edited by Altaflyer; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
I have already posted on another thread that my son and I are here in Toronto and always going through YYZ for the UP and hotel shuttles. The pattern I have seen is Regional airports in Ontario for cancelations and delays, Sudbury, London, Timmins etc. Today I saw Edmonton and Calgary, so trying to see a pattern. I am sure there may be staff challenges, I see so many air Canada employees on the UP, and hotel shuttles. I have not seen the crew from other airlines, so they must change before travel or have private transportation.
Plenty of delays to/from YSB to/from YYZ and outright cancellations as well. Flew out of YYF last Sunday, AC was good but WestJet to Calgary took a 6 hour delay due to staffing/crew issues.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: FOTSG
Any delays or cancellations yesterday attributed to crew constraints would not have had one single thing to do with the changes coming on July 15th.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
Any delays or cancellations yesterday attributed to crew constraints would not have had one single thing to do with the changes coming on July 15th.
Is this the official "Jazz" word?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jazzed91

Sorry my calendar only has Orangemens Day in Newfoundland and Labrador, what else is happening?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Had a flight cancel today from YPR-YVR which had I not voluntarily eliminated a half day at my destination to switch to the earlier flight (only 2 a day) I would have missed a full day of work tomorrow. Was advised cancellation was due to lack of crew. I wonder if they are proactively scrapping flights before July 15 knowing they don’t have enough staffing to avoid paying out $$ after July 15 when the new legislation kicks in? Apparently there were some other cancellations to Jazz flights in BC as well.
Sorry my calendar only has Orangemens Day in Newfoundland and Labrador, what else is happening?
I believe @Altaflyer is referring to this:

Federal government announces new rules on airline passenger protection, compensation
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad

Ahhhhhhhhh, yes

Well, air travel will be more fun now!
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:03 pm

Ahhhhhhhhh, yes

Well, air travel will be more fun now!
Yep! pax will be pulling out their calculators determining how much comp their entitled too when delays/cancellations happen..
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by james dean
Is this the official "Jazz" word?
Nope
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by james dean
Yep! pax will be pulling out their calculators determining how much comp their entitled too when delays/cancellations happen..
A big winter storm or mechanical could mean quite a profitable trip for many!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.