Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for finding SN award space?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Tips for finding SN award space?

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place!

Four years in the game and SN has always seemed the most elusive of the YQ-free airlines, I never see it appear on Aeroplan or United's award search.

But now I'm planning a trip to Belgium and could really use some seats with them!

I'm assuming there's very limited space for something like YYZ-BRU. But even short intra-europe flights (eg. MXP-BRU, AGP-BRU) aren't easy to find.

Any tips for me? What am I doing wrong?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gonebabygone

I'm assuming there's very limited space for something like YYZ-BRU. But even short intra-europe flights (eg. MXP-BRU, AGP-BRU) aren't easy to find.

Any tips for me? What am I doing wrong?
Wrong dates? :-) Over the years I have regularly managed to get seats on SN. Last was a business class BRU-AGP one next December. Last December, LHR-BRU. Some time ago BRU-LIS.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@gonebabygone

Please give dates and actual flights you want to book.

As per @Stranger, I've never had issues booking AP rewards on SN.

I didn't realize they are one of the no/low-YQ carriers though... never paid attention to that.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I've never seen space offered on the only TATL Canadian SN route YYZ-BRU (nor on the return). So it's not an option for to / from Europe.
Usually it's a decent option for popping around Europe though. I'm looking at YVR-SFO-ZRH-CDG-BRU-FCO-CAI-ATH-IST-ZRH-YUL-YVR that's relying on SN to get me between 2 non-*A base airports.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
I have flown YYZ-BRU in J using AE several times over the past 3 years, booking up to 3 seats at a time. Never had any issues though I have noticed over the past month or so, no seats appears to be released any more, I am thinking it might be due to this route being often flown alternatively by an A332 formerly flown by Eurowings aircraft (with less seats in J) and one of their recently refurbished A332 with the new J cabin. Hopefully the situation will return to normal soon. Their J product is quite nice and quite often half empty.

The one thing to keep in mind however is that SN often times releases seats in married segments in a way similar to LX therefore you may be able to score seats searching for GVA or LHR as destination (I have personally had to book the 2 aforementioned examples to be able to get YYZ-BRU)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for some great tips!

I did some more research and was able to find some availability on MXP-BRU for several dates in May 2020.

However there appears to be a maximum of four seats I can book, and we are a family of five.

Does anyone know SN's policy for flights like this? Are there only 4 reward seats made available for each flight? Or can only 4 be booked at a time? (Meaning I would need to make two separate bookings.)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I had tried to find SN award seats YYZ-BRU over the last couple of years and they are hard to find. Early this year when two seats showed up for Sept., I grabbed them. So they are there, but not easy to find. Last year I couldn't get YYZ-BRU, but did get LHR-BRU and BRU-CDG (in a RTW trip), so at least we had the experience flying on SN.

A separate question, after getting award seats on SN552 YYZ-BRU this year on Sept. 12, I called to get seating, but was told the fare class does not get assigned seats. That is different than last year. Has anyone been able to get assigned seats this year?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by yscleo
I had tried to find SN award seats YYZ-BRU over the last couple of years and they are hard to find. Early this year when two seats showed up for Sept., I grabbed them. So they are there, but not easy to find. Last year I couldn't get YYZ-BRU, but did get LHR-BRU and BRU-CDG (in a RTW trip), so at least we had the experience flying on SN.

A separate question, after getting award seats on SN552 YYZ-BRU this year on Sept. 12, I called to get seating, but was told the fare class does not get assigned seats. That is different than last year. Has anyone been able to get assigned seats this year?
In Y, you have to pay for seat assignment, that's not new, this has been on for at least a year.

In J, you should have free seat assignment. If they tell you otherwise on the phone, I would get a hold of them on twitter.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by djskynet
In Y, you have to pay for seat assignment, that's not new, this has been on for at least a year.
It was Y. Last year I was able to get seating. This year no. Too bad. Most other airlines allow choosing seats for ae award booking.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djskynet

In J, you should have free seat assignment. If they tell you otherwise on the phone, I would get a hold of them on twitter.
It appears on a J award, you can on their web site. But not on a P fare paid ticket...
Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:28 am

anyone been able to book any SN availability on the new YUL-BRU flight?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Yep, booked in early September. Availability was wide open. Not sure what it's like now though.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:00 pm

Elusive SN

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
anyone been able to book any SN availability on the new YUL-BRU flight?
Did it last night for two one ways YOW-YUL-BRU for 15 Oct 2020. Total $134 in fees for two tickets. Similar flights on AC or LH were $700 to $800 in scam fees.
flyertalker00156 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.