Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Well, they could include the price of On My Way in the fare fr everyone and improve their infrastructure. :-) But ask yourself, which percentage of their customers would support that? Presumably if they would, the would already purchase it today?
I think it's reasonable to expect an airline to provide basic rebooking information at no additional charge.
zoegksf, arf04, dr_torch and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
OP- thanks for sharing the experience.
Did you try to rebook yourself via the AC IRROP web tool and got the error? AFAIK, award ticket shouldn't matter as you have an AC locator. I always try web first, then phone, then stand in line... If the web tool isn't working, then it truly is org incompetence vs staff at one particular airport.
Thanks. Glad to share my experience and find out why I encountered what I encountered.

I left almost 3 hours at YYZ - even enough time to catch the next-to-last flight to YUL if my incoming was on-time. My original YYZ-YUL flight also had a late inbound and ended up left late. However, it still showed on-time when I got to YYZ and had to make a decision.

The www.aircanada.com/cancelledflight thing did not work for me. It said my itinerary was not eligible but I did not meet any of the disqualifying reasons listed (group, SSR, AC Vacation). As I mentioned, the connecting segment was not in my PNR for some reason (but the first segment was). I suspect the segment was removed by the GA of my original YYZ-YUL flight since I suspect it was oversold.

I also got 2 additional phone numbers that is not the standard 888-AIR-CANA number. Tried all 3 and got nowhere.

My understanding was that YYZ-YUL on Sunday was heavily booked because of the problems. The SE agent said if I did not get my WL flight, the earliest confirmable flight was "much later" on Sunday. Since I was #2 on the WL, I thought I could get on. It took some convincing for them to help me so I didn't want to push my luck to ask her to confirm me also.

I guess I still don't understand how they can funnel their biggest hub's rebooking to agents who are not there all the time and grossly under-staff the position (there were 4 positions but only 2 were staffed Sunday morning).

Oh, the other strange thing... US carriers are not responsible for weather and ATC delay hotel/meals. It seems AC was? On my shuttle to the hotel, a bunch of people were from PHL and missed their connection because of weather. They all had vouchers!

At least I made it and was able to attend the Canada Day activities today!

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:28 pm

Whether to purchase On My Way or not is a personal choice.
If one wants to save a few $$ and plays the lottery but loses, one should just be patient and wait for one's turn to get service.
As it has been pointed out here many times before, travel insurance will cover the incidental out-of-pocket expenses caused by the missed connection, it would not help you to get to an AC customer service agent any faster. Only OMW gives you priority access to an AC customer service agent. Available seats are always on a first come first get basis.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Clipper801
...Only OMW gives you priority access to an AC customer service agent. Available seats are always on a first come first get basis.
OMW agents are vastly different than just "priority access to an AC customer service agent."

They function more as independent travel agents and will book you on the next flight, (almost) any airline even competitors paid ticket. Unlike an AC hotel voucher, they can book many other hotels just not a low contracted rates sometimes far away from the airport.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why isnt any other airline having these issues?
They don't have to contend with Canadian winters.
arf04 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by username
Interesting experience at YTZ so it was all worth the trouble (but lost a day to attend all the activities in Montreal). Even with a cancelled flight, my YTZ-YUL flight was not full.

What I am really curious are the following:

4 - how can there be no rebooking agent at the entire airport during a big IRROP? Did someone screw up or this is really how they do things?

Thanks.
My experience is that item 4. is how they do things; there seems to be no provision for emergency staffing during big IRROPS. Why would they do anything else when there is no consequence?
yytleisure likes this.

Last edited by respectable_man; Jul 2, 2019 at 5:20 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
OMW is all nice and dandy, except I can hardly ever purchase it, since it is not available to/from international destinations. What if OP had misconnected from CDG, for example. It's not a solution; even if I was willing to buy it, AC will not sell me it.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer
They don't have to contend with Canadian winters.
Just checked the Toronto weather, supposed to get to 26 degrees. Must be Fahrenheit if it's winter weather.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
connecting @ YYZ

Two FTs have raised YTZ. IMO, that is irrelevant.........
Misconnects @ YYZ have become endemic due to AC's successful efforts to sell tix. with a YYZ connection and inadequate staffing. I wish they would announce these en route. No surprises? Increasingly, rebooking is done online.
As a UA G* myself, I would be inclined to call them first. They can re-book based on priority status.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Misconnects @ YYZ have become endemic due to AC's successful efforts to sell tix. with a YYZ connection and inadequate staffing. I wish they would announce these en route. No surprises? Increasingly, rebooking is done online.
As a UA G* myself, I would be inclined to call them first. They can re-book based on priority status.
It is easy to find out if you will misconnect enroute with inflight Wifi. The FAs can't do anything and anything they tell you is not accurate (my FAs said that the pilot told them they have rebooked people who would misconnect - there were 3 of us on the plane - 2 to YOW and 1 to YUL).

Everyone from FA to GA meeting the flight to the connection agents to the check-in counter is focused on kicking the can down the road to the rebooking people who are either not there or are overwhelmed.

As a UA *G, we have no access to their elite lines. Calling regular lines in an IRROP is useless as you can't get through quickly - many also do not have Canadian roaming on their phones so it can be costly. AC is essentially in IRROP the entire time now with the 737 MAX problems.

UA App marks your PNR in IRROPS and lets you do a lot of stuff with it. In my case, not only the App was useless, the aircanada.com/cancelledflight site also did not work. As I said earlier, I suspect my YYZ-YUL segment was removed by the GA for that flight since it was oversold.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
what to do??

Dude, you asked for advice on what to do? Then you argued about my suggestions?
Do me a favour............if you don't want the advice, don't ask for it. Please.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
I think it's reasonable to expect an airline to provide basic rebooking information at no additional charge.
May be, maybe not? My point remains, if you "unbundle" that service, most people will elect not to pay for it... So they don't seem to agree with you, no? Of course these folks are not your typical FT demographics. But can you blame airlines when they oblige? AC's financial results seem to strongly correlate with the race to the bottom. What does that tell you? (And no, I don't own stock, and I don't necessarily like it. But reality is reality. And it won't go away any time soon.)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:07 pm

May be, maybe not? My point remains, if you "unbundle" that service, most people will elect not to pay for it... So they don't seem to agree with you, no? Of course these folks are not your typical FT demographics. But can you blame airlines when they oblige? AC's financial results seem to strongly correlate with the race to the bottom. What does that tell you? (And no, I don't own stock, and I don't necessarily like it. But reality is reality. And it won't go away any time soon.)
It's a moot point. If everyone bought OMW, AC (or any company) would degrade OMW service and risk manage the surges, rather than staffehole new call centres. After all, the financial performance - record profits etc- is clear proof that paying more does not necessarily equate into better service. Pax are clearly paying for more than what they get - hence record profit. And service continues to decline. These are functions of market/pricing power and competition. Consumers dictate prices in very competitive markets. The Canadian aviation market is not particularly competitive - no more than the equally dire and overpriced telecoms market.

This "Pax are cheap" narrative is getting old now. Other airlines have better service recovery without resorting to this level of nickel and diming. Maybe it's time to stop clutching at those well worn straws and attribute responsibility to the only actor with any power to dictate outcomes in these situations: AC.

I mean, "self-congratulating profitable airline lacks resources to provide basic services" is more accurate than "Pax are cheap" here. But acknowledging that admittedly requires one to give up some dogmas. Which can be difficult.
arf04 and Norcanair like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
People are accustomed to certain inclusions when purchasing items or services. For instance, if you dine at a restaurant in Canada it is expected that tap water at your table and access to a toilet will be provided free of charge. These inclusions make transactions easier because every time you purchase that service you don't have to spend time inquiring whether you need to bring your own toilet paper to the restaurant or purchase it a la carte for $20/roll (available at time of booking only).

Every airline in the world provides, or at least claims to provide, timely rebooking assistance to passengers during IRROPs. It's unreasonable to expect Air Canada passengers to be responsible to know that Air Canada apparently will not do this except for an extra surcharge, which is payable at booking and only on a small subset of itineraries (within NA) and when booking directly with Air Canada.

If Air Canada wants to unbundle to this extent it's their right to do so but it should be done in a way that is clear, consistent and understandable for passengers, and OMW is none of that.

The large portion of travelers who book through Air Canada's authorized agents may not even be aware of the existence of OMW.

International itineraries aren't eligible for OMW.

OMW does not even help with tasks that can only be completed by an airport agent.

OMW is marketed as a convenient add-on not a basic requirement for acceptable service.
arf04, Twickenham, ffsim and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dude, you asked for advice on what to do? Then you argued about my suggestions?
Do me a favour............if you don't want the advice, don't ask for it. Please.
Sorry my answer made you feel this way.

What you said is the sensible thing to do but contradicted with my experience this time where employees just kicked the problem downstream, online re-booking did not work and I could not get through on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.