Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Question: Misconnected at YYZ, full of confused people, no help, can't get thru, what to do?

Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Why isnt any other airline having these issues? These grounded planes are only ~8% of the fleet.
Even small players like LOT and Icelandair (greater percentage of fleet grounded) are managing.
Still, apart maybe from SW, AC probably has the highest percentage of their fleet grounded. And of course, it is even a higher percentage when considering the domestic/NA part of their network.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

please do not blame the MAX for a decision by corporate to keep selling tickets that leads to insufficient standby capacity for IRROPS.
So your preferred approach would be for them to raise fares and limit traffic as a result, instead of optimizing capacity and ending up with less but fuller flights at the cost of having to delay some people either due to overbooking or IRROPS? I would think that given a choice many customers would prefer the risk of getting bumped to a later flight. (Of course, better communication would lead to less frustration, but eh, this is AC.)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Still, apart maybe from SW, AC probably has the highest percentage of their fleet grounded. And of course, it is even a higher percentage when considering the domestic/NA part of their network.
Both airlines I mentioned have a higher % of their fleet grounded. Poor LOT had almost a quarter of their shorthaul fleet grounded. But they are managing, leasing aircraft, staffing extra people on phone lines, etc.
On top of that, they are still dealing with 787 engine issues..
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
My son and I are here in Toronto for a few days, Blue Jays baseball weekend. There are serious IRROP issues as we are always going through the airports for the UP train and the hotel shuttles and the big arrival board is mostly red with canceled and delayed flights.

I see many folks standing around us waiting for the hotel shuttle with the Air Canada delayed flights kits, i mean many folks.

Have a nice view if the airport watching flights come and go with no issues, lol.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
The MAX issue is completely irrelevant.

Massively overbooking flights has always been the root cause of AC's IRROPS problems - any time a plane runs seriously late or goes mechanical, there is no capacity in the system to take up the slack.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
The MAX issue is completely irrelevant.

Massively overbooking flights has always been the root cause of AC's IRROPS problems - any time a plane runs seriously late or goes mechanical, there is no capacity in the system to take up the slack.
Of course the Max issue has increased overbooking. THey are trying to use as much of their fleet as possible and optimize to compensate. Which means there is even more demand for inexistent extra capacity. Alternative would be to raise fares so as to reduce purchases. Is that better?On routes where demand is below expected, they proactively cancel some flights, and redistribute the load to the remaining ones, so as to free planes to reassign to different routes where they don't have capacity. They are cheduling Rouge 763 on normally mainline routes. Doing what they can; hence quite a bit more schedule changes than usual. Persoonal experience too BTW.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Of course the Max issue has increased overbooking. THey are trying to use as much of their fleet as possible and optimize to compensate. Which means there is even more demand for inexistent extra capacity. Alternative would be to raise fares so as to reduce purchases. Is that better?On routes where demand is below expected, they proactively cancel some flights, and redistribute the load to the remaining ones, so as to free planes to reassign to different routes where they don't have capacity. They are cheduling Rouge 763 on normally mainline routes. Doing what they can; hence quite a bit more schedule changes than usual. Persoonal experience too BTW.
Sorry Stranger, we will have to agree to disagree on this. While I readily concede the MAX issue won't help matters, the reality is that AC's IRROPS problems have existed for years, long before the 7M8 entered the fleet.
arf04 and yytleisure like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Sorry Stranger, we will have to agree to disagree on this. While I readily concede the MAX issue won't help matters, the reality is that AC's IRROPS problems have existed for years, long before the 7M8 entered the fleet.
Lets for a minute concede that the MAX is responsible for this recent mess. Ok fine. But what's the excuse for not having any channels to deal with this at the airport, or on the phone...
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting experience at YTZ so it was all worth the trouble (but lost a day to attend all the activities in Montreal). Even with a cancelled flight, my YTZ-YUL flight was not full.

What I am really curious are the following:

1 - is Air Canada required / has AC committed to disclosing reasons for delays and caneclleations. One guy on my shuttle bus this morning said their flight to London ONT just cancelled with no reason given last night. My inbound was late and no reason was given

2 - when does their system automatically rebook? The guy on the cancelled London flight (they were already at the gate ready to board) said he was automatically rebooked immediately (he got the e-mail when he was on the queue waiting). Mine not only did not rebook, the 2nd segment disappeared from the PNR (but the first segment stayed)

3 - why do they not let the airport agents do "one stop shop" so they can rebook customers? (The SE agent said it was to reduce the lines at other counters but with huge IRROPS, this is really bad. The rebooking part also did not have a Priority line)

4 - how can there be no rebooking agent at the entire airport during a big IRROP? Did someone screw up or this is really how they do things?

5 - what do I do next time? (I am a UA *G and this was a UA award ticket. Might that be why I got an error on aircanada.com/cancelledflight?)

Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by username
Interesting experience at YTZ so it was all worth the trouble (but lost a day to attend all the activities in Montreal). Even with a cancelled flight, my YTZ-YUL flight was not full.

What I am really curious are the following:

1 - is Air Canada required / has AC committed to disclosing reasons for delays and caneclleations. One guy on my shuttle bus this morning said their flight to London ONT just cancelled with no reason given last night. My inbound was late and no reason was given

2 - when does their system automatically rebook? The guy on the cancelled London flight (they were already at the gate ready to board) said he was automatically rebooked immediately (he got the e-mail when he was on the queue waiting). Mine not only did not rebook, the 2nd segment disappeared from the PNR (but the first segment stayed)

3 - why do they not let the airport agents do "one stop shop" so they can rebook customers? (The SE agent said it was to reduce the lines at other counters but with huge IRROPS, this is really bad. The rebooking part also did not have a Priority line)

4 - how can there be no rebooking agent at the entire airport during a big IRROP? Did someone screw up or this is really how they do things?

5 - what do I do next time? (I am a UA *G and this was a UA award ticket. Might that be why I got an error on aircanada.com/cancelledflight?)

Thanks.
This has been going on for decades, and happens because AC is not willing to invest in better infrastructure or more staff. They have gotten away with it due to the lack of competition and any decent customer protection legislation. They are supposed to give reasons for cancellations, but often don't. Their IT systems are supposed to automatically rebook you, but they seem not to work properly much of the time. During IROPS, you will struggle to find anyone at YYZ willing to help and the phone lines will be busy. To avoid this, pad your connection times and try to avoid last flights of the day. You can also buy their On My Way "insurance", which gives you a phone number that they will answer.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
This has been going on for decades, and happens because AC is not willing to invest in better infrastructure or more staff. They have gotten away with it due to the lack of competition and any decent customer protection legislation. They are supposed to give reasons for cancellations, but often don't. Their IT systems are supposed to automatically rebook you, but they seem not to work properly much of the time. During IROPS, you will struggle to find anyone at YYZ willing to help and the phone lines will be busy. To avoid this, pad your connection times and try to avoid last flights of the day. You can also buy their On My Way "insurance", which gives you a phone number that they will answer.
At least, within 15 minutes IIRC. The one time I actually used it, snowmageddon incidence number 3,725,723.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Well, they could include the price of On My Way in the fare fr everyone and improve their infrastructure. :-) But ask yourself, which percentage of their customers would support that? Presumably if they would, the would already purchase it today?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent
OP- thanks for sharing the experience.
Did you try to rebook yourself via the AC IRROP web tool and got the error? AFAIK, award ticket shouldn't matter as you have an AC locator. I always try web first, then phone, then stand in line... If the web tool isn't working, then it truly is org incompetence vs staff at one particular airport.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Well, they could include the price of On My Way in the fare fr everyone and improve their infrastructure. :-) But ask yourself, which percentage of their customers would support that? Presumably if they would, the would already purchase it today?
Its an interesting study in the dynamics of what people say they want and what they want enough to spend money on.

People are up in arms enough with the airlines that they talk about it enough that MPs are at least paying lip service. People are also only focused on price, that "actual service" has been unbundled and OMW is available for $25-40/direction. That is: people want rebooking magic to happen; people are unwilling to pay $40 for rebooking magic to happen.

Air Canada is caught up in the race to the bottom here as much as unsuspecting FOTSG who remember the awesome service they got on their honeymoon visiting the Big O before pieces started falling off of it.

But like the FOTSG who don't understand GTE and get in arguments with the previous flights GAs, I choose to be amused, rather then existentially disgusted with humanity.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:25 pm

Umm if demand exceeds supply, physics dictates that some people are going to not get service regardless. Should AC be selling a service to them if the provision of said service depends entirely on whether or not it is in AC's interests to provide that service?

As for increasing air fares, that's a moot point. The advance purchasers will still get cheap fares, the last minute folk will still pay high fares. If the capacity to provide the service doesn't physically exist, the air fare doesn't really matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.