Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: International SDC P class possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: International SDC P class possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
International SDC P class possible?

I have a flight scheduled YYZ-YOW-LHR in P class.(AC 458, AC888)
I'd like to fly the AC856 direct YYZ-LHR which arrives and leaves around similar times.

Assuming there's still pace on the flight. Can I SDC this at the airport still? eliminating the stop-over in YOW?
I believe the answer is yes for a $100 fee, but am trying to make sure I understood this right.

Here are my flight rules.

Penalties: NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. --- TICKET UPGRADE-PASSENGERS UPGRADING TO A BUSINESS CLASS FARE J-/C-/D-/Z-/P- OR PREMIUM ECONOMY FARES O-/E-/N- WILL NOT BE ASSESSED THE CHANGE FEE. --- ALL OTHER RULES MUST BE MET. ANY OTHER RULES MUST BE MET. ANY NONREFUNDABLE AMOUNT REMAINS NONREFUNDABLE. --- CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CHARGE CAD 600.00 FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE CAD 500.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - FOR O/B CHANGE THE NEW BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE RECALCULATED USING CURRENT AND APPLICABLE FARES IN EFFECT AT THE DATE OF ISSUANCE. CHARGE DIFFERENCE IN FARE PLUS CHANGE FEE. CHANGE FEE IS SUBJECT TO EACH CHANGE TRANSACTION. ------------------------------------------------ BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - FOR I/B CHANGE THE NEW BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE RECALCULATED USING HISTORICAL AND APPLICABLE FARES IN EFFECT AT THE ORIGINAL TICKET DATE. CHARGE DIFFERENCE IN FARE PLUS CHANGE FEE. CHANGE FEE IS SUBJECT TO EACH CHANGE TRANSACTION. ------------------------------------------------- NEW FARE AMOUNT MAY BE LOWER/EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN ORIGINAL FARE. IF NEW FARE IS LOWER THAN ORIGINAL FARE-NO REFUND PERMITTED. THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT IS FORFEIT. ------------------------------------------------- CHANGES NOT PERMITTED IN CASE OF NO SHOWS - REFER TO CANCELLATION PENALTY. IN THE EVENT OF A DOMESTIC/TRANSBORDER AND INTERNATIONAL AC FARE COMBINATION - INTERNATIONAL RULE PROVISION FOR CHANGE AND CANCELLATION WILL APPLY. -------------------------------------------------- PAX HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATION AND TICKETS ON AC OPERATED FLIGHTS ONLY MAY CONFIRM EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN/DEST./STP POINTS FOR A NON-REF FEE OF CAD 100.00. -SEAT INVENTORY MUST BE AVAIL. IN THE CABIN APPLIC TO THE FARE CHARGED -CONFIRMED CHANGE MAY ONLY BE MADE AT THE AIRPORT ON THE DAY OF THE FLT. -ANY AIRPORT SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE ADMIN. BY CALLING THE AC CALL CENTRE OR BY VISITING THE AC WEBSITE. -REGULAR FARE RULES APPLY FOR ANY CHANGES WHICH DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE AIRPORT SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGE FEE -SAMEDAY STANBY NO ALLOWED. AFTER DEPARTURE CHARGE CAD 500.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION. CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY. WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER. NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY THE NEW BASE FARE AMOUNT MUST BE RECALCULATED USING HISTORICAL AND APPLICABLE FARES IN EFFECT AT THE ORIGINAL TICKET DATE. CHARGE DIFFERENCE IN FARE PLUS CHANGE FEE. CHANGE FEE IS SUBJECT TO EACH CHANGE TRANSACTION. ------------------------------------------------ NEW FARE AMOUNT MAY BE LOWER/EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN ORIGINAL FARE. IF NEW FARE IS LOWER THAN ORIGINAL FARE-NO REFUND PERMITTED. THE RESIDUAL AMOUNT IS FORFEIT. ------------------------------------------------- CHANGES NOT PERMITTED IN CASE OF NO SHOWS - REFER TO CANCELLATION PENALTY. IN THE EVENT OF A DOMESTIC/TRANSBORDER AND INTERNATIONAL AC FARE COMBINATION - INTERNATIONAL RULE PROVISION FOR CHANGE AND CANCELLATION WILL APPLY. -------------------------------------------------- PAX HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATION AND TICKETS ON AC OPERATED FLIGHTS ONLY MAY COMFIRM EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN/DEST./ STOPOVER POINTS FOR A NON-REF FEE OF CAD 100.00. -SEAT INVENTORY MUST BE AVAIL. IN THE CABIN APPLIC TO THE FARE CHARGED -CONFIRMED CHANGE MAY ONLY BE MADE AT THE AIRPORT ON THE DAY OF THE FLT. -ANY AIRPORT SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGES WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE ADMIN. BY CALLING THE AC CALL CENTRE OR BY VISITING THE AC WEBSITE. -REGULAR FARE RULES APPLY FOR ANY CHANGES WHICH DO NOT QUALIFY FOR THE AIRPORT SAME DAY CONFIRMED CHANGE FEE -SAMEDAY STANBY NO ALLOWED.

Last edited by knotseh; Jun 23, 2019 at 3:12 pm Reason: trying to fix the damn formatting.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Last time I inquired about something similar I was told $100 because P space was available on the flight I wanted, then that it was impossible.

So I'd say depends on the agent

But it should be $100 AFAIK
knotseh likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN/DEST./ STOPOVER POINTS
This phrase seems to be the crux of it. Not sure if this is an and or an or. You may be required to keep the same stopover points. Any time I've done, it has taken an act of God and has been for free in extraordinary circumstances. Never done paid.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC SE
I tried doing a SDC out of LHR in May on a P fare, and wasn't successful. There were seats available in J on the flight I wanted at the airport 2 hours before the flight and the flight was not oversold, but there was no P class availability. Both the ticketing agent and concierge in LHR insisted that in order to do a SDC, there needs to be positive space PLUS your original fare class needs to be available. In order to change at the airport when the original fare class isn't available, they insisted I'd have to pay the change fee plus the fare difference for a last-minute D fare. When I asked them to try do do a SDC, I got "computer says no."

So, you may also need to have your original fare class available too, but this isn't clearly published and may not always be the case.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
This phrase seems to be the crux of it. Not sure if this is an and or an or. You may be required to keep the same stopover points. Any time I've done, it has taken an act of God and has been for free in extraordinary circumstances. Never done paid.
Would you consider YOW a stopover? I'd consider it a transfer. Fare rules often say NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED but then will allow something like YYZ-YOW-LHR because 5 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION. 3 IN AREA 1 AND 2 IN AREA 2 or something.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

I will let you guys know how this works out. I'll get into LHR at the roughly the same time either way, Just one flight is a 777 vs a 767, but maybe its time to ride the old planes for nostalgia. I will also call AC reservations later to see what they say.
I get the feeling this is going to be one of those YMMV items depending on the agent (like what cow said)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pewpew
Would you consider YOW a stopover? I'd consider it a transfer. Fare rules often say NO STOPOVERS PERMITTED but then will allow something like YYZ-YOW-LHR because 5 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION. 3 IN AREA 1 AND 2 IN AREA 2 or something.
I don't consider it a stopover, its a 1hr 30 min layover. Just turns out this flight routing is 1500 cheaper than the direct
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by gcashin
I tried doing a SDC out of LHR in May on a P fare, and wasn't successful. There were seats available in J on the flight I wanted at the airport 2 hours before the flight and the flight was not oversold, but there was no P class availability. Both the ticketing agent and concierge in LHR insisted that in order to do a SDC, there needs to be positive space PLUS your original fare class needs to be available. In order to change at the airport when the original fare class isn't available, they insisted I'd have to pay the change fee plus the fare difference for a last-minute D fare. When I asked them to try do do a SDC, I got "computer says no."

So, you may also need to have your original fare class available too, but this isn't clearly published and may not always be the case.
I’ve done an SDC many times out of LHR on P and Z fares. It can be done, but it requires a knowledgeable agent. I had the same response as you from a few agents. The check-in staff don’t usually know how to do it. I started going straight to ticketing and with one exception they were always able to do it. When I inquired about the inconsistency one of the knowledgeable agents said the others are lazy or don’t know how to do it. If you get push back (eg. “computer says no”), tell them to call the help desk. Stand firm. SDC does not require space in the same bucket, only cabin. I’ve done this at least 7 times at LHR before I become SE (now I just call in )
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pilot007

I’ve done an SDC many times out of LHR on P and Z fares. It can be done, but it requires a knowledgeable agent. I had the same response as you from a few agents. The check-in staff don’t usually know how to do it. I started going straight to ticketing and with one exception they were always able to do it. When I inquired about the inconsistency one of the knowledgeable agents said the others are lazy or don’t know how to do it. If you get push back (eg. “computer says no”), tell them to call the help desk. Stand firm. SDC does not require space in the same bucket, only cabin. I’ve done this at least 7 times at LHR before I become SE (now I just call in )
It appears that in contrast with most P fares, which typically allow same day airport standby, according to the rules posted, "SAMEDAY STANBY NO ALLOWED" (sic). While typically (looking at one of my tickets) it says "Day of departure, at check-in or at the airport - changes are permitted free of charge and subject to availability."
pilot007 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Let us know the result - I'll be trying the same thing next week.
Booked YYZ-YUL-PVG, but would prefer the non-stop.
knotseh likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Let us know the result - I'll be trying the same thing next week.
Booked YYZ-YUL-PVG, but would prefer the non-stop.
You will likely travel before me. So let me know how it goes for you?
If there are any updates on my end I'll let you know! I was going to call AC but their hold-times lately are poo and i forgot to do it early this am.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by pilot007

I went LHR checkin, then ticketing, then the LHR concierge, and then called AC Reservations from the airport in LHR. I reiterated that for SDC, my understanding was that there needs to be positive space but not the original fare class, but basically got "I work at the airport, you're wrong" from all of them. Eventually I ran out of time and gave up after 45 mins, as the flight was closing and I needed to go through security either way, but something that should be simple like a SDC when a customer is willing to pay the published $100 fee can be exceedingly difficult with AC.
pilot007 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Finally got through to AC reservations (35K line) [about 25 mins on-hold]

The agent called the ticketing department to double check and confirmed
  • $100 fee for SDC
  • Can remove the stopover as long as there is space on the direct flight. I didn't ask if it has to be direct P space or J.
  • Has to be done at the origin airport (we all know this)
Let me know how it goes iluvSQ. I'll report back the day i fly (early July) on this!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Slightly different situation from the OP, but today I was booked in NRT-YUL-YOW on a P fare.

I called the Concierge (S100k line cannot process this) and changed to HND-YYZ-YOW. The HND flight was showing J4 C4 D0 Z0 P0. I was able to make the change no problem. There was a $100 same day change fee.

There is is no need for P to be available. I have done the same thing before with J1 and all other Bus fare zeroed out.
knotseh and pilot007 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by knotseh
Finally got through to AC reservations (35K line) [about 25 mins on-hold]

The agent called the ticketing department to double check and confirmed
  • $100 fee for SDC
  • Can remove the stopover as long as there is space on the direct flight. I didn't ask if it has to be direct P space or J.
  • Has to be done at the origin airport (we all know this)
Let me know how it goes iluvSQ. I'll report back the day i fly (early July) on this!
Sorry, I have wimped out. I saw yesterday that P space opened up the YYZ-PVG non-stop, so I paid the $200 for a confirmed
change from my original YYZ-YUL-PVG routing. I decided that 3 hour later departure, plus lunch in the Signature Lounge, was worth
the extra $125 over the SDC fee.
knotseh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.