Wiki Posts
Search

AirCanada Atlanta check in

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
AirCanada Atlanta check in

so been awhile since I have been through Atlanta but heads up for others who are not aware.

i could not print boarding pass today-no printer available. So head to airport and united (even with united ticket) cannot print AC boarding pass so can’t use sky train.

Must use bus outside to take trip to international terminal and when you get there make sure AC agents are around as terminal has nothing to do while you wait. Frustrating that 90 minutes after arriving at airport finally getting my boarding pass.

Would have been faster in hindsight to go to staples and print it there.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC 35k
That's why you fly Delta or WS into ATL ;-)
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Touché!

it gets worse. AC check in opens at 6 pm it pre check closes at International terminal at 5:30pm

and lounge is back in terminal T almost all the way back to domestic terminal.

ugh.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Can't you just OLCI using ATL as your origin and then use a mobile BP?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I don't remember the issues OP describes, and I tend to paper BPs as a preference. But always OLCI and have the QR.

The underground trains are pretty quick, and if one had 90 minutes to be annoyed in the intl terminal, one had time to get to the UA lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

You were required to have a paper boarding pass.

Any frequent flyer would have tried the mobile app - which I did - and it required printing.

I agree trains are fast but you need a boarding pass to get to them.

The 90 minutes wasn’t all at international terminal. It was arriving at domestic terminal with rental car. Going to check in, united saying they could not give me boarding pass, required to go back outside and wait for bus to international terminal. Taking bus ride there and then getting to international terminal at 5:15 and told AC agents wouldn’t be there until 6 pm.
Only option would be back to domestic on bus. Not sure how you expected me to get to lounge until I had BP

Finally when got BP go to security and pre check line closed at 5:30 pm. So go through regular line but got to keep shoes on at least.

At that point not worth going to lounge way back at T

bottom line have access to printer if flying AC in Atlanta. (And don’t check bags) Could gave been so much easier as I could have just went through domestic security and been in lounge in a short while.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
ATL can be a pain like that ... but for the record, a mobile BP is absolutely accepted there, I did it just a couple of weeks ago. It works even if you have TSA-pre.

If you didn't register for an online BP when you checked in, you're correct that you can't use an online copy of the printable BP. That's ok - go back to the system and checkin again. The system will know that you've already checked in, and ask you if you want to reprint your BP and you can then get an electronic BP. Even if you don't have the app on your phone, you can choose a mobile BP and they will either email or SMS a link to you.
D582 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the info.
I certainly used mobile boarding pass with united at Atlanta no problem

With air Canada I did try that (re doing check in) and had no luck. Not sure why

i thought it might have been due to international but I saw other passengers with other international airlines doing mobile.

oh well.

final comment regarding AC a machine to print BP would have been a great solution. Like all the other airlines.

In the end it is really too bad AC got stuck out at international terminal for check in. I would have hated to have to check a bag.

Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: Presto
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
I would have hated to have to check a bag.
Adding that upon arrival at ATL on AC, when you have checked luggage you have no choice but to take the shuttle bus, as the baggage carousel is landside at F (International).

Don't make my mistake and think that since you pre-cleared customs in YYZ the flight is domestic and your baggage would be too! Upon arrival I hopped on the train in F, went to the the main terminal to get my bag only to have to take the bus back to F to get my bag and then bus back to the main terminal to catch MARTA into town. My bad, but the folks in the F unclaimed baggage shop said it happens all the time.

Last edited by NoahVail; Jun 25, 2019 at 5:24 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on that too.

Very confusing overall have the two.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
A word of caution for those departing ATL on AC 7541 at 6:10 AM to YYZ. I returned a rental car at the ATL rental car centre on a Saturday morning. The centre is connected to the regular terminal by elevated train. The international terminal is supposed to be connected by bus; that wasn't running with more than a 45 minute frequency. I ended up having to take an Uber; who got lost getting to the international terminal. If you're using a rental, and taking the early flight; allow extra time. I was only able to get onto the flight thanks to OLCI, no checked baggage and no line at security.

I did reach out to the airport authorities who acknowledged the issue but just offered the usual "apologies"
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
A word of caution for those departing ATL on AC 7541 at 6:10 AM to YYZ. I returned a rental car at the ATL rental car centre on a Saturday morning. The centre is connected to the regular terminal by elevated train. The international terminal is supposed to be connected by bus; that wasn't running with more than a 45 minute frequency. I ended up having to take an Uber; who got lost getting to the international terminal. If you're using a rental, and taking the early flight; allow extra time. I was only able to get onto the flight thanks to OLCI, no checked baggage and no line at security.

I did reach out to the airport authorities who acknowledged the issue but just offered the usual "apologies"
If you did OLCI and had no baggage no reason to go to the international terminal. Just go through security in the main terminal. Everything is well connected inside security.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Agreed if you have a boarding pass your are all set to use domestic terminal. Assuming you have no checked bags too. With a checked bag you are really in trouble.

Btw funny but sad, when you come out of rental car stop or domestic terminal the international terminal bus drops off passengers there but you are not allowed to get on there. You have to walk a ways and wait for the bus to cone there to get on. The funny sad part is being about to get on bus and am told I need to walk down to the other stop, it was only for disembarking and then while walking to the other stop the bus passes me. And fortunately the driver waited for me
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
If you did OLCI and had no baggage no reason to go to the international terminal. Just go through security in the main terminal. Everything is well connected inside security.
This is like advocating to bypass the international terminal building where the AC gate is 50 meters from security, to take a round about way through 6 domestic terminal buildings to get back to the international terminal.

This may work for you as a frequent visitor, but its really the long way around.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

But rental car return takes you to domestic terminal where tsa pre check is open all the time, compared to long bus ride to international terminal and where pre check closes at 5:30 pm
canopus27 and TechnoTourist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.