Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
https://www.npr.org/2019/06/21/73493...=1561311488609

A representative for Air Canada confirmed Adams' account, adding they "remain in contact with her."
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
The pax was clearly attempting to unfairly get a free flight to wherever the plane was going next.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I don't see how namecalling the person has any relevance.
It's all they've got.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This silly woman is milking this event for all its worth. She passed out on a flight, no one noticed, she woke up, called a friend, opened the door, signaled the ground crew who rescued her. Now she is claiming insomnia, anxiety attacks and other PTSD-like symptoms. If being drama queen were an Olympic event she'd be a gold medal finalist.
Matt93 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This silly woman is milking this event for all its worth. She passed out on a flight, no one noticed, she woke up, called a friend, opened the door, signaled the ground crew who rescued her. Now she is claiming insomnia, anxiety attacks and other PTSD-like symptoms. If being drama queen were an Olympic event she'd be a gold medal finalist.
First, she's not milking anything. She didn't contact the media in the first place, nor is she going after AC. It wasn't even her that sent this to AC on Facebook.

Second, if you don't suffer from anxiety or other mental health issues, you have no understanding how this could impact someone.
KenHamer, Fizzer, arf04 and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
As a datapoint, Mine was confiscated due to a rubbed off serial number (this was at PEK). I specifically asked the security guy and that's what they told me. It was also a common enough confiscation as there was a large garbage bin full of power banks (and I had a similar powerbank on me that did have the serial that they didn't take away).
So you know the regulations, complained they were taken away, and don't mention they didn't meet regulations on purpose?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:56 am

If being drama queen were an Olympic event she'd be a gold medal finalist.
You have only seen amateurs if you think this is a gold medal performance!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
First, she's not milking anything. She didn't contact the media in the first place, nor is she going after AC. It wasn't even her that sent this to AC on Facebook.

Second, if you don't suffer from anxiety or other mental health issues, you have no understanding how this could impact someone.
The complete text of her comments are interesting reading. There's more than a little about the story that doesn't make sense. Like her phoning friends instead of, duh, calling 911. Or why her friend who received the call wouldn't have done the same.

Sharing for my friend Tiffani Adams

Another sleepless night for moi unfortunately insomnia doesn’t care that I work in the morn �� first off must say I really appreciate the bday love ��I’m a couple days late on the thank yous and finally just catching up on fb..honestly it’s been really difficult week and half for me and I’m asking for help..I would really like to find out if anyone had been through this too bc 10 days later and I am still a wreck..not handling my emotions very well and welcome coping advice or techniques to calm my nerves

I had the most incredible time in Quebec with Deanna I’m grateful for what was one of the best weekends I’ve ever had.. my flight home I got super comfy reading my book happy I scored my row all to myself (flight was about 1/4 full) I fell asleep probably less than halfway through my short 1.5 hour flight.. I wake up around midnight (few hours after flight landed) freezing cold still strapped in my seat �� in complete darkness (I’m talking pitch black) as someone with and anxiety disorder as is I can tell you how terrifying this was..I think I’m having a bad dream bc like seriously how is this happening!!?!

My phone lit up with missed msgs and of course I assured Dee I would text when I land in Toronto..I send her msg just before midnight saying omg I’ve just woke up and I’m all alone on this cold dark plane..Dee initially thinks I should already be home and maybe having a bad dream..so I tell her I’m flipping to FaceTime bc I also don’t have any clue ... going on less than 60 secs on ft tryna show her (of course its total darkness) and my phone dies..I’m trying to focus on my breathing and control my panic attack while I attempt to charge my phone by plugging into every USB port I could find..no luck bc when they shut the aircraft down there is no power whatsoever I now have to use washroom and that’s also no picnic when you can’t see a thing and are tryin to keep yourself calm..since I can’t charge my phone to call for help I’m full on panicking bc I want off this nightmare asap

I found the walky talky thingys in the cockpit but they also don’t work I can’t radio for help

I was so overjoyed when I found a flashlight in the cockpit and I’m making some flashy sos signals out the windows hoping someone sees me

Finally now that I have light I’m determined to unlock the door and save myself...felt like a champ when I got main door open (found all 3 latches w my lifesaver of a flashlight and open the door all the way

Now I’m facing a 40-50ft drop to the pavement below �� I hang out the door trying to get the attention of ground crew I can see Pearson’s lights but too far away I’m where the aircrafts park overnight there is no one around..I search frantically for a rope so I can climb down to safely (flight attendants seat is right by door I opened but the seatbelt is too short to hang from so back to my distress signals now I’m hanging out the door reflecting the flashlight off the side of the plane (figuring reflective exterior will catch someone’s attention in the distance) not sure how much time has passed bc no phone no nothing

When I see the luggage cart driving towards me I am literally dangling my legs out of the plane..he is in shock asking how the heck they left me on the plane..I’m wondering the same (when my seat an inch back or my tray down flight crew take notice but yet you missed a person still strapped into her seat and just all go on home?!?!

Anyway the guy had the ladder dock and I jumped to safety before he was even a foot from the door..the Air Canada cars pull up drive me up to Pearson where I’m met by another Air Canada rep asking if I’m ok and would I like a limo and hotel.. umm no are you kidding me all I want to to go home I have to work in a few hours..she let me use her phone to call home and call shuttle to take me to my car..Air Canada called Monday and Tuesday both people again ask me to repeat what happened apologize for my inconvenience and say they will do an investigation bc they have checks in place that should prevent people from being locked on the aircraft at night

I haven’t got much sleep since the reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I’m alone locked up someplace dark..this is a super long post-so I’ll wrap it up please share if you know of anyone who has gone through this I don’t like feeling so alone
5mm likes this.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jun 24, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Resurrection
How stupid, drunk or drugged up to you have to be to sleep through a landing and the subsequent deboarding?
Wow, already blaming the victim for being tired huh?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
You have only seen amateurs if you think this is a gold medal performance!
A gold medal Olympic performance would be, by definition, amateur.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I can't believe the flight was only 1/4 full as all of my recent flights have been full or oversold, including smaller centres?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
My own $0.02 - I've seen a few comments about the groomers and the FAs in this thread; all fair game IMHO.

But I think ultimate responsibility lies with the Captain followed very closely by the SD. I would think that both of them should have independently taken a quick walk through the cabin prior to calling it a day. It's entirely possible that the crew had a long, hard day and just wanted to get home after one last flight. I get it. But the Captain is responsible for everything that happens on board that plane and in my view, that includes deboarding after the flight. I'm sure the unions will have their own perspective on this, but I do think the Captain and the SD should face some consequences for allowing this to happen.
Twickenham and flyquiet like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RCyyz
My own $0.02 - I've seen a few comments about the groomers and the FAs in this thread; all fair game IMHO.

But I think ultimate responsibility lies with the Captain followed very closely by the SD. I would think that both of them should have independently taken a quick walk through the cabin prior to calling it a day. It's entirely possible that the crew had a long, hard day and just wanted to get home after one last flight. I get it. But the Captain is responsible for everything that happens on board that plane and in my view, that includes deboarding after the flight. I'm sure the unions will have their own perspective on this, but I do think the Captain and the SD should face some consequences for allowing this to happen.
I'm fairly certain I've seen the CA/FO disembark while passengers are still present. I know I've seen them arrive after boarding has begun. So I don't think it's technically their responsibility.

The flight attendants, on the other hand...
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by RCyyz

But I think ultimate responsibility lies with the Captain followed very closely by the SD.
You can think whatever you want. And you can design in your mind your fantasy airlines policies. I'm sure that AC has some policy, which I'm equally sure wasn't followed. With that said, for a domestic flight to a major AC facility, I'm equally sure they take a rather laissez faire attitude towards such routine activities.

The public will likely never know the results of the investigation unless someone sings.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can only think of one plausible scenario where she could have done anything wrong. However, the crew still royally screwed up in that case.
Air/Ground crew we can still blame. It's obvious that some people did not follow process. The only thing I can think of her doing wrong would be if she started randomly messing with the cockpit controls while trying to figure how to turn on the radio, but I want to see what AC might come up with. Too often we only hear the "victim's" side and just assume AC is 100% in the wrong. In this case, it might be, but I'd like to get a bit more popcorn time out of it (as it were).

The commentator stories I have heard so far yesterday and today are pretty much "it happened, alright, but you're a snowflake"... But yes, she is milking it like crazy... I do wonder if she's aware that milking it like this will leave a stain on her as well... You complain once, fine... but you milk it too far and well, eventually you'll get the sorry, we don't really want to deal with you...

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
So you know the regulations, complained they were taken away, and don't mention they didn't meet regulations on purpose?
I'm not sure where you got that I complained. My powerbank was one of my older ones that I would have had to dispose of probably within a year since it was holding less and less of a charge. I asked for clarification because I didn't understand why he was confiscating it (there was no signage pre-security). I couldn't understand the security guy as his accent was just a tad strong, eventually pointing to a sign which I read and said meh to. For reference, at the time, the requirements were that the powerbank had a serial number and a capacity. Not sure what the serial number issue was (maybe for quality control), but on the unit that was taken away, the serial number sticker was there, but the number was rubbed off after several years of (sometimes) heavy use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.