Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman left on Air Canada aircraft after arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'd love it. Scrounge for some food, sit in the cockpit, play with the switches, find a blanket and pillow, have a good sleep, wait until someone came to retrieve the aircraft (Surprise!) and have a great story to tell for the rest of my life.
​​​​​​​YES! We understand each other. Playing with the switches would be high priority for me.
DaveS likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'd love it. Scrounge for some food, sit in the cockpit, play with the switches, find a blanket and pillow, have a good sleep, wait until someone came to retrieve the aircraft (Surprise!) and have a great story to tell for the rest of my life.
This. I would have explored every inch of that aircraft before trying to leave.
Hankle likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This. I would have explored every inch of that aircraft before trying to leave.
YES! How can we get this to happen to us?!
DaveS and 5mm like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Hankle
YES! How can we get this to happen to us?!
Pretend to be asleep, then hide from the cleaning staff and then later claim you slept through it all- that’s how!
Hankle likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Sounds to me like she got personal AC limo pickup from the tarmac to the terminal without a Signature Service international connection. Way to dilute the benefits for the rest of us.

This was a security risk as the cockpit does not need a key to start or move the plane. Maybe she will get a letter from AC corporate security banning her....

One could have activated the Emergency locator transmitter, either by button or by getting it wet and placing it in a cockpit window.

Or deployed ALL of the slides which do not require power to arm...to see if one looked less scary than the others to go down. (certainly not because I've read they are $30k a piece to re-arm). May help with any panic breathing to use up the spare oxygen , conveniently above the seat in 5min canisters.

Unfortunately, the rampers probably put wheel chocks on, so spooling up the engined to taxiing to a more noticable / embarassing place would be difficult.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Now it's clear why the aircraft are so often less than well maintained. If the groomers don't notice a sleeping person, it makes perfect sense that they wouldn't notice used socks, crumbs, dirt and spilled almonds lying around. I wonder what they actually do?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:04 pm
5mm
Suspended

Collect a pay cheque? Tell the union they are over worked?
Fizzer, Symmetre and mhy like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
Sounds to me like she got personal AC limo pickup from the tarmac to the terminal without a Signature Service international connection. Way to dilute the benefits for the rest of us.

This was a security risk as the cockpit does not need a key to start or move the plane. Maybe she will get a letter from AC corporate security banning her....

One could have activated the Emergency locator transmitter, either by button or by getting it wet and placing it in a cockpit window.

Or deployed ALL of the slides which do not require power to arm...to see if one looked less scary than the others to go down. (certainly not because I've read they are $30k a piece to re-arm). May help with any panic breathing to use up the spare oxygen , conveniently above the seat in 5min canisters.

Unfortunately, the rampers probably put wheel chocks on, so spooling up the engined to taxiing to a more noticable / embarassing place would be difficult.
Might as well try to deploy all the masks and see if there's a way to do a fuel dump... Push a few carts down the slides you chose not to use?

Someone mentioned an AC ad showing pax partying onboard? Seems that AC has advertised this is appropriate.

​​​​​
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by ylwae
Now it's clear why the aircraft are so often less than well maintained. If the groomers don't notice a sleeping person, it makes perfect sense that they wouldn't notice used socks, crumbs, dirt and spilled almonds lying around. I wonder what they actually do?
Could it be the groomers might be scheduled to groom before first flight rather than after last flight? I've been back onboard a plane after it was powered down and crew and pilots already offloaded, and it certainly didn't look like any groomers were coming.
canadiancow, balexis and 5mm like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Something similar happened before, and, AC sent the passenger a 20% (of 1%) off coupon

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/sleepy-air-canada-passenger-wakes-up-in-airplane-hangar/article1319881/
wrp96, FTA and PAX_fips like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
Except you can't take them past security. I have had 5 taken away already.

​​​​​​for real bro?

Originally Posted by 5mm
Maybe I just have bad luck. Airports that have taken my battery banks away are PVG, HKG, LGA, LAS and YVR. Last week, I even had my cork screw taken away at YVR.
I have been to four out of five of those airports and not had my battery taken away.

Your story is so ridiculous I conjecture it is either it's a lie or you take units that are above regulation size and don't even know it.

​​​​​​​
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
Could it be the groomers might be scheduled to groom before first flight rather than after last flight? I've been back onboard a plane after it was powered down and crew and pilots already offloaded, and it certainly didn't look like any groomers were coming.
That's what my girlfriend thinks too. The idea that anyone cleaning a plane (no matter how incompetent) could overlook a full human body in a seat seems extremely unlikely (I think?).
-Hank
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by Hankle
I know I must not be a normal person, because when I first read this article, I was a little confused about why it framed the experience as a "nightmare." My reaction was, "Oh, this is so cool! I wish this would happen to me! It's so 'From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler!'" You'd get to run around the plane, explore the cockpit, and basically have free-reign on a passenger jet which you don't get very often. People's constant fear of everything ruins their enjoyment of everything.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/21/73493...darkened-plane

Anyway, sorry I'm a weirdo.
-Hank
Call me a pessimist, but I think the whole “nightmare” scenario and the alleged trauma “suffered” by the victim are more efforts to extract additional compensation from AC than actual harm. I’m having trouble buying that someone who could fall asleep across 3 seats so soundly that they didn’t notice a landing, announcements and everyone deplaning is being kept awake at night because of this. It sounds like their reaction was very calm and rational as they went through the plane looking for a solution to the problem.

Did the FA team screw up? For sure. But you can see how this all went down...last flight of the night, they had all their gear in the J closet, disarmed the rear doors, moved forward with deplaning passengers and didn’t go back for a sweep. They looked, didn’t see any heads, so they went along their merry way.
Dolphin2 and rage like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
I wonder if she was on a basic economy fare. Business class passenger would never have this happen to them. Lesson learned if you want proper service you need to pay for it.

in the end if must be her fault somehow.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce
​​​​​​for real bro?

I have been to four out of five of those airports and not had my battery taken away.

Your story is so ridiculous I conjecture it is either it's a lie or you take units that are above regulation size and don't even know it.

​​​​​​​
As a datapoint, Mine was confiscated due to a rubbed off serial number (this was at PEK). I specifically asked the security guy and that's what they told me. It was also a common enough confiscation as there was a large garbage bin full of power banks (and I had a similar powerbank on me that did have the serial that they didn't take away).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.