Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking confirmation states “upgraded to premium economy cabin”

Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Hello

I have the following upcoming flight. I’ve just noticed on the receipt (photo below) that it says “upgraded to Premium Economy cabin”. Since we booked Economy I’m assuming this is just an error? Or do they proactively move certain booking classes to Premium Economy? Sorry if this is a basic question however don’t fly AC very often at all.

Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never seen anything like that. X is definitely economy.

I'd be tempted to just let it be, and see what happens at check-in.

Or you could call, and risk they notice something odd and "fix" it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: AC SE
Do you have confirmed seats? In what cabin?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
I would try to change the seat online to see where I'm seating. If you get to the seat map and PE is not available, just don't do anything and exit. If it's available to choose then you're upgraded.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chebert999
I would try to change the seat online to see where I'm seating. If you get to the seat map and PE is not available, just don't do anything and exit. If it's available to choose then you're upgraded.
Good advice, I'd do this first. If you get a PY seat map, congrats. If not, well, welcome to AC IT.

For anyone else reading, check your itineraries carefully because this kind of website / booking mixup cuts both ways. I bought a multi-segment "lowest business" class ticket recently and was given an economy seat on one of the legs. All segments were in "Business Class (lowest) P" except for one which was in "Business Class (lowest) M". Attempting to select a seat on this segment brought me to the economy seat map.

The reason provided on my itinerary receipt was: "Business Class is not available or not offered on flight ACxxxx. You will be seated in Economy class." Except, business class was both available and offered on that flight. An agent quickly confirmed that the right fare class was available and fixed the ticket for me, but I can imagine pushback had such an error gone unnoticed long enough for availability to disappear in the required fare class.

Bank errors are not always in your favour
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasdou
Do you have confirmed seats? In what cabin?
It’s a confirmed booking - although when I just tried I couldn’t load the seatmap but I think that was just a glitch on the website. It does show allocated seats (row 25) which I guess is Economy?
Oh well, if something positive happens at check-in then great! But I shall not expect too much (or anything!)
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Have you tried the "change seats" function?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

For anyone else reading, check your itineraries carefully because this kind of website / booking mixup cuts both ways. I bought a multi-segment "lowest business" class ticket recently and was given an economy seat on one of the legs. All segments were in "Business Class (lowest) P" except for one which was in "Business Class (lowest) M". Attempting to select a seat on this segment brought me to the economy seat map.

The reason provided on my itinerary receipt was: "Business Class is not available or not offered on flight ACxxxx. You will be seated in Economy class." Except, business class was both available and offered on that flight. An agent quickly confirmed that the right fare class was available and fixed the ticket for me, but I can imagine pushback had such an error gone unnoticed long enough for availability to disappear in the required fare class.
Normally that message is already shown on aircanada.com before you actually select the segment though. I have not seen a case where this message shows if P is indeed available. Also, when that happens the leg is normally in Y, and may be upgradeable using Aeroplan miles as long as not booked as a codeshare. The issue of P availability may be obe of these "married segment" crap. Which somehow sometimes an agent might be able to overrule, although lasy time I encountered a situation where P was available for each leg but not on the entire itinerary the agent and even the fare desk could do nothing.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Stranger
I have not seen a case where this message shows if P is indeed available.
That's exactly the scenario I'm describing. P was available on all 4 segments (availability unchanged when the segments were "married"), no warning on the website, yet 1 section ends up booked in M on the itinerary.

Clearly a bug during the booking process which was promptly corrected by a competent agent. On the first try.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Normally that message is already shown on aircanada.com before you actually select the segment though. I have not seen a case where this message shows if P is indeed available. Also, when that happens the leg is normally in Y, and may be upgradeable using Aeroplan miles as long as not booked as a codeshare. The issue of P availability may be obe of these "married segment" crap. Which somehow sometimes an agent might be able to overrule, although lasy time I encountered a situation where P was available for each leg but not on the entire itinerary the agent and even the fare desk could do nothing.
P fares tend to book Y segments in M, not Y. I've encountered it a lot during EYW. It's actually a bit annoying. Something like YYC-YWG-YQR gives you the full J experience on the first leg, zone 1 boarding (due to the P fare basis) on the second leg, but you don't even get LT07 because you're in M. Unless they fixed that after I wrote in about it. Haven't tested this in a year.

But yeah, my only guess is that P was not available at time of booking, but it was when the call was made. Or AC's booking engine is dumb.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I had this happen once. I ended up in economy.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But yeah, my only guess is that P was not available at time of booking, but it was when the call was made. Or AC's booking engine is dumb.
Well we know it can't possibly be the letter, because AC.
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:27 pm

P was available at the time of booking, and the call was made a few minutes later.

I can’t believe it’s such a struggle to share an obvious AC IT failure with this group of FFers 🤦.♂️
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P fares tend to book Y segments in M, not Y. I've encountered it a lot during EYW. It's actually a bit annoying. Something like YYC-YWG-YQR gives you the full J experience on the first leg, zone 1 boarding (due to the P fare basis) on the second leg, but you don't even get LT07 because you're in M. Unless they fixed that after I wrote in about it. Haven't tested this in a year.
My experience was with an international itinerary. With the Y segment on another airline. SN to be precise. Funny thing, I had no problem upgrading using Aeroplan miles.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AC/ANA/OZ/Bonvoy/BW
I received the same email about a month or 2 before our recent award trip to Asia in economy. It didn't open seating options in premium economy for us. I wish it had!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.