Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: YUL MLL access before Y flight with C ticket for flight later in the day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: YUL MLL access before Y flight with C ticket for flight later in the day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by vfw614
Just to say thank you to all those who contributed to the thread and a quick confirmation that I had no problem whatsoever getting into the domestic MLL at YUL in-between two Y flights in the morning with the boarding pass for an international departure in the evening.

As for access to the international MLL at YUL, I was surprised about the "segregation" of the domestic from the international area. As it is no actual barrier with passport control, but only some folks standing there with handheld scanning devices refusing domestic pax to stroll any further, I had some difficulty understanding the rationale of the set-up. Is it just for keeping domestic passengers away from the duty free shops although they cannot purchase anything without a boarding pass for an international depature anyway? That would be appear a somewhat drastic measure as all the other tenants in that area would probably be more than happy to welcome more customers purchasing food etc.(or is that tax free as well?)
I believe the segregation probably has more to do with separating international-international and US-international connecting pax from domestic pax than with duty free shopping.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by jasdou; Jun 25, 2019 at 6:34 am
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by jasdou
I believe the segregation probably has more to do with separation international-international and US-international connecting pax from domestic pax than with duty free shopping.
I believe this is correct. Like they have done at YYZ and YVR, the idea is to make YUL easier to navigate as a connecting passenger, and segregating international departures allows for this, without sending everyone back landslide and in to the same queues. Air Canada is really trying to push YYZ/YUL/YVR as transit points for US / international traffic.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, I do not understand how segregating makes it easier to connect as the transboder and the international areas of the terminal are next to each other anyway, whereas domestics is concentrated at the far other end of the terminal. As there is no passport control for passengers leaving Canada and all passengers have already passed security, be they on domestic, transborder or international flights, what exactly is the point?, As per the current set-up, you cannot really consider the international/transborder part of the terminal "sterile" in any sense (and for whatever purpose) as segregation is really just four or so folks standing somewhere in the hallway scanning boardong passes and turning away domestic passengers. Some sort of physical barrier certainly would at least make the set up clearer for passengers..
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Hmmm, I do not understand how segregating makes it easier to connect as the transboder and the international areas of the terminal are next to each other anyway, whereas domestics is concentrated at the far other end of the terminal. As there is no passport control for passengers leaving Canada and all passengers have already passed security, be they on domestic, transborder or international flights, what exactly is the point?, As per the current set-up, you cannot really consider the international/transborder part of the terminal "sterile" in any sense (and for whatever purpose) as segregation is really just four or so folks standing somewhere in the hallway scanning boardong passes and turning away domestic passengers. Some sort of physical barrier certainly would at least make the set up clearer for passengers..
Is it not significantly faster and easier to go through immigration in Canada when connecting to an international flight at an airport which segregates? CBSA no longer needs to consider the possibility you're lying about your intentions, since you can't exit anyways
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
1. DTI at YUL was like this prior to desegregation of the areas, so basically it is now back to how it used to be.
2. YUL is not alone. Other airports like YVR do this as well for DTI transfers.

It is what it is.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Passengers in the international area have not necessarily cleared a formal CBSA inspection.

Or if they haven't fixed that process, that's the goal, like in YYZ.

I regularly connect in YYZ without technically entering Canada, which is why segregation is necessary.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: *$ Green
I still miss this.

Wish it could be reversed, but oh well. It is what it is.
​​​​​​
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Passengers in the international area have not necessarily cleared a formal CBSA inspection.

Or if they haven't fixed that process, that's the goal, like in YYZ.

I regularly connect in YYZ without technically entering Canada, which is why segregation is necessary.
But realistically, the set-up is not remotely close to a border infrastructure that would be able to physically stop people from entering/exiting Canada against the will of the authorities. As I said, it is just some folks waving handheld scanners standing in the not too narrow hallway near Gate 51 without any physical barriers, a proper queuing system or any attempt at crowd management. I doubt they could stop someone who is determined to push through. Which leads to the question - what's exactly the point?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Please note a number of posts have been deleted as off topic as this thread isn't a general aviation thread in which to discuss airport design.

tcook052
AC forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.