Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 7308 August 22, 2017: Possible Denied Boarding

Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS

I would like to have more information on the cancellation of AC7308 on 2017-08-22. Air Canada put me on another flight in the morning. After which a refund was processed, but I have a feeling this could be Involuntary Denied Boarding.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
ummmmmm, just confirming before you get asked a hundred questions - 2017 is a typo? Or are you really trying to go back and go after something that happened 2 years ago?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I would like to have more information on the cancellation of AC7308 on 2017-08-22. Air Canada put me on another flight in the morning. After which a refund was processed, but I have a feeling this could be Involuntary Denied Boarding.
You're asking whether this was an IDB from almost two years ago regarding a flight that was cancelled?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
ummmmmm, just confirming before you get asked a hundred questions - 2017 is a typo? Or are you really trying to go back and go after something that happened 2 years ago?
Based on the Montreal Convention, I would assume I still had time to pursue this. The year is not a typo. I have just been bothered by this for a while since I had to pay for a replacement flight.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You're asking whether this was an IDB from almost two years ago regarding a flight that was cancelled?
I was put on another flight. I have no idea if it was actually cancelled.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I was put on another flight. I have no idea if it was actually cancelled.
I'm quoting you - you said it was cancelled. "cancellation of AC7308 on 2017-08-22"
So it wasn't cancelled (?)

Can you please divulge more details as to what exactly happened? Were you denied boarding at the gate if the flight was never cancelled? Did you receive a denied boarding compensation receipt?

Based on the Montreal Convention, I would assume I still had time to pursue this. The year is not a typo. I have just been bothered by this for a while since I had to pay for a replacement flight.
But wait, you said AC put you on another flight in the morning? So in reality they didn't put you on any flight and you have to buy a new one?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm quoting you - you said it was cancelled. "cancellation of AC7308 on 2017-08-22"

Can you please divulge more details as to what exactly happened? Were you denied boarding at the gate if the flight was never cancelled? Did you receive a denied boarding compensation receipt?
Sorry about that; I misspoke. I was contacted 2 days before my original departure (this was a round-trip ticket) in which I was told that I had been put on AC7310 that day. I then called them and requested to be booked on another airline. Unfortunately, Air Canada just told me that my two options were to accept this flight change or obtain a refund, so I took a refund. I ended up paying for another last-minute flight in order to reach my destination of IND from YUL.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about that; I misspoke. I was contacted 2 days before my original departure (this was a round-trip ticket) in which I was told that I had been put on AC7310 that day. I then called them and requested to be booked on another airline. Unfortunately, Air Canada just told me that my two options were to accept this flight change or obtain a refund, so I took a refund. I ended up paying for another last-minute flight in order to reach my destination of IND from YUL.
Ok, so to be clear, AC7308 on August 22, 2018, your original flight and date, flew out as scheduled?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC 75K

But wait, you said AC put you on another flight in the morning? So in reality they didn't put you on any flight and you have to buy a new one?
In addition the OP said they were refunded, but yet they had to pay for a flight.

OP: Frankly no one here is going to be able to answer your question. It baffles me that when this is something that's been bothering you, you come to a Frequent Flyer forum first rather than going to AC or the CTA. If it's been outstanding for 2 years, is it really a priority for you???
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so to be clear, AC7308 on August 22, 2018, your original flight and date, flew out as scheduled?
That is what I'm trying to figure out.
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
In addition the OP said they were refunded, but yet they had to pay for a flight.

OP: Frankly no one here is going to be able to answer your question. It baffles me that when this is something that's been bothering you, you come to a Frequent Flyer forum first rather than going to AC or the CTA. If it's been outstanding for 2 years, is it really a priority for you???
Yes. This is an airline forum. I have been told by others to go to Small Claims, but I have not had the time. I apologise for any offence I may have caused you, but I do not appreciate your condescending question. If an admin would prefer to close this, that is not a problem with me.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is what I'm trying to figure out.
Ok, now I understand. It would've helped if you spent a little more effort on your OP though.
This happened to a friend of mine just last week but on another Canadian airline. So this is interesting.
I told them that they were most likely IDB'd as I've never heard of anything like that before (called a day ahead of their scheduled/planned flight and being told they're no longer on it) - and the original flight they were booked on flew out as scheduled.
Their flight was TATL Schengen so I gave them the links to EC261 and gave them a FYI regarding Gabor's site.
OSSYULYYZ likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok, now I understand. It would've helped if you spent a little more effort on your OP though.
This happened to a friend of mine just last week but on another Canadian airline. So this is interesting.
I told them that they were most likely IDB'd as I've never heard of anything like that before (called a day ahead of their scheduled/planned flight and being told they're no longer on it) - and the original flight they were booked on flew out as scheduled.
Their flight was TATL Schengen so I gave them the links to EC261 and gave them a FYI regarding Gabor's site.
Sorry about my lack of clarity; writing is probably not one of my strong points. I know of Dr Lukacs' Group; I am a member about it. Unfortunately, I was not flying under EC261 Jurisdiction, so I was advised that my best course of action would be to possibly go through Small Claims. I tried to write a letter, which was slightly less than clear. I decided to put the process in pause and study for my exams. A few days ago, I found out about this re-schedule to avoid IDB compensation through Dr Lukacs' Group, and I just wanted to check to verify that I had pursued all possible avenues. Sorry about the time frame, and I appreciate everyone's time to respond to this post.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry about my lack of clarity; writing is probably not one of my strong points. I know of Dr Lukacs' Group; I am a member about it. Unfortunately, I was not flying under EC261 Jurisdiction, so I was advised that my best course of action would be to possibly go through Small Claims. I tried to write a letter, which was slightly less than clear. I decided to put the process in pause and study for my exams. A few days ago, I found out about this re-schedule to avoid IDB compensation through Dr Lukacs' Group, and I just wanted to check to verify that I had pursued all possible avenues. Sorry about the time frame, and I appreciate everyone's time to respond to this post.
From everything I've researched so far up to this point (for my friend), this was an IDB for you, as long as the original 7308 was not cancelled at the time they called you. If it had been cancelled nearing the time of the flight, then that may have been a coincidence, but still your situation, to me, smells of IDB.
Did you get any compensation at the time, or it was it literally on the lines of "you are rebooked on 7310 otherwise go take a hike"?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

From everything I've researched so far up to this point (for my friend), this was an IDB for you, as long as the original 7308 was not cancelled at the time they called you. If it had been cancelled nearing the time of the flight, then that may have been a coincidence, but still your situation, to me, smells of IDB.
Did you get any compensation at the time, or it was it literally on the lines of "you are rebooked on 7310 otherwise go take a hike"?
It was as you described. I just would like information about a possible replacement flight. Honestly, it makes no sense why they refused to book me on another airline.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
You can use flightradar24 to see the history of AC7308 going back 730 days if you have a business subscription...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.