FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   016 ticket on United, canceled, rebooked on Delta, Can I credit to Altitude/Aeroplan? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1973562-016-ticket-united-canceled-rebooked-delta-can-i-credit-altitude-aeroplan.html)

royal757 Jun 11, 2019 8:50 am

016 ticket on United, canceled, rebooked on Delta, Can I credit to Altitude/Aeroplan?

story: Booked a 016 ticket on United metal (YUL-EWR) for a 6:30AM flight. at 11pm the night before I get a txt message that my flight is delayed until 10AM because of late inbound crew and not enough rest. I called United and told them I absolutely need to get to NY in the morning, I see Delta has a YUL-LGA flight, and they rebooked on that one for free. And I get a new PNR and a new ticket number, but the new ticket number starts with 016.

question: Can I credit this flight to aeroplan/altitude? If so how?

I originally was going to fly United and credit to altitude, and it's their fault they messed up and they rebooked me on a different airline.

5mm Jun 11, 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by royal757 (Post 31191864)
story: Booked a 016 ticket on United metal (YUL-EWR) for a 6:30AM flight. at 11pm the night before I get a txt message that my flight is delayed until 10AM because of late inbound crew and not enough rest. I called United and told them I absolutely need to get to NY in the morning, I see Delta has a YUL-LGA flight, and they rebooked on that one for free. And I get a new PNR and a new ticket number, but the new ticket number starts with 016.

question: Can I credit this flight to aeroplan/altitude? If so how?

I originally was going to fly United and credit to altitude, and it's their fault they messed up and they rebooked me on a different airline.

The answer to your question is yes, but you are going to have to push UA for the points.. AC/AE are really out of the loop on this. This thread should really be on UA form.

rankourabu Jun 11, 2019 10:46 am

If you want to credit to Aeroplan - you will need to ask Aeroplan for original routing credit - will most likely need to supply evidence of original booking and rebooking. You can decide if its worth the hassle for 500 miles. If you want to credit to United, it will be a lot easier, just ask for original routing credit.

A couple times when AC rebooked me on other airlines - had to go thru UA to get those AC flights credited to my Mileage Plus, and provide proof. And then, after all is done, make sure to retrocredit to Delta - most likely your ticket that United bought you was an expensive one and will earn tons of Skymiles (revenue based)

canadiancow Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am

Call Aeroplan after travel and explain the situation. They'll tell you what documents to send and where to send them. The process is fairly simple.

rankourabu Jun 11, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31192270)
Call Aeroplan after travel and explain the situation. They'll tell you what documents to send and where to send them. The process is fairly simple.

Exactly!

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 31191898)

The answer to your question is yes, but you are going to have to push UA for the points.. AC/AE are really out of the loop on this. This thread should really be on UA form.

Nonsense.

royal757 Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31192252)
If you want to credit to Aeroplan - you will need to ask Aeroplan for original routing credit - will most likely need to supply evidence of original booking and rebooking. You can decide if its worth the hassle for 500 miles. If you want to credit to United, it will be a lot easier, just ask for original routing credit.

A couple times when AC rebooked me on other airlines - had to go thru UA to get those AC flights credited to my Mileage Plus, and provide proof. And then, after all is done, make sure to retrocredit to Delta - most likely your ticket that United bought you was an expensive one and will earn tons of Skymiles (revenue based)

thank you, will do that. When you say to credit to aeroplan you mean count towards altitude status too right?

it is not worth the 500 miles, but it is worth the segment. I go by segments for my altitude status and often came close. I do NY-YUL-NY every two weeks. so that's 26,000 miles per year or 52 segments. This system was never good for us regional flyers, but that's for another topic.

thanks all, I will call Aeroplan and ask what documentation I need to provide.

5mm Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31192291)
Exactly!

Nonsense.

Why is this nonsense?. This happened to me a couple of years back, and I needed to go thought UA. The reason being, UA buys the AE points from Aeroplan and they are the one that must authorize the point transaction.

canadiancow Jun 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 31192586)
Why is this nonsense?.

Because that's not at all how it works.

This happened to me a couple of years back

I don't believe you.

and I needed to go thought UA.

You did/would not need to do any such thing.

The reason being, UA buys the AE points from Aeroplan and they are the one that must authorize the point transaction.

Regardless of how the back-end transaction works, it needs to be initiated by Aeroplan.

DaveTO Jun 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by royal757 (Post 31192574)
thank you, will do that. When you say to credit to aeroplan you mean count towards altitude status too right?

it is not worth the 500 miles, but it is worth the segment. I go by segments for my altitude status and often came close. I do NY-YUL-NY every two weeks. so that's 26,000 miles per year or 52 segments. This system was never good for us regional flyers, but that's for another topic.

thanks all, I will call Aeroplan and ask what documentation I need to provide.

Have you thought about routing through YYZ or YOW to double up on your segments?

SK AAR Jun 12, 2019 1:50 am

Probably not a good idea as the OP "absolutely need to get to NY in the morning" - I expect no time for deviations.

5mm Jun 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31192718)

I don't believe you.

I don't care. This is what I had to do when I had the same type of problem.

royal757 Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by DaveTO (Post 31193431)
Have you thought about routing through YYZ or YOW to double up on your segments?

I would of done it normally, but I had to be in NY very early in the morning.

So I called aeroplan, and they told me to email [email protected] with all the information of what happened and the ticket numbers etc.. I wonder how long that will take. But the lady on the phone told me that Aeroplan will usually credit for what i paid for, which kind of makes sense.

rankourabu Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 31195982)
I don't care. This is what I had to do when I had the same type of problem.

Nonsense. "push UA for the points" ... clearly the OP was told otherwise by Aeroplan, and just like Cow and I said - has to request ORC thru Aeroplan.

rankourabu Jun 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31196915)
It's happened to me. US rebooked me onto AA on Feb 7 2014. I had to email [email protected]. They resolved it.

Someone's making things up, and it's not @rankourabu

Well our old friend is right, it has never happened to me with Aeroplan since its only my credit card program, not my flight crediting one. It has happened numerous times however on other airlines - and have always been able to get double credit, ORC and then on the rebooked airline (which usually books in full Y or J)

royal757 Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 31196971)
Well our old friend is right, it has never happened to me with Aeroplan since its only my credit card program, not my flight crediting one. It has happened numerous times however on other airlines - and have always been able to get double credit, ORC and then on the rebooked airline (which usually books in full Y or J)

Can you guys believe my request was denied because I did not provide a scan of my boarding pass? I mean what in the world.. I had a mobile boarding pass. Am I suppose to screenshot it and re-do the request again?

I feel like the people who handle these requests are lazy