Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Not collecting checked luggage on arrival for a couple of hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not collecting checked luggage on arrival for a couple of hours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
OP, sounds like you've made the decision to rent a car (and that's a great option).
Just to add to your options, I had been looking for luggage storage in a different city, and came across a site called bagsaway.ca and it appears there are storage options in Quebec City as well. (Note I've never used the service as I found luggage storage elsewhere.)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jc94
I've failed (with AC) multiple times to try and check in bags > 4 hours before including at the 'Elite' desk albeit never at YQB (although one location YHZ is also pretty small).
I've also failed to had a hotel I'm not staying at that night accept my bag, but I've not tried a 'higher class' hotel here.
As an SE I have always managed to check my luggage more than four hours before departure, although I have had cases where the agent did not know how to do it and had to phone someone or get help from another one.About hotels we have an interesting situation coming. Flying AC from Europe to Australia with a 12 hours connection at YVR, which qualifies us for the stopover program. So we booked the Holiday in (not great but still apparently better than the other options). My wife needs her biologic injection at that point, which needs being kept refrigerated and is worth close to 2k $. The pharmacy normally ships us Fedex in a cooler box which is good for probably 26 hours. We'll have it sent by the pharmacy to the Holiday inn. I figure with a 12 hours connection we'll be safe and we'll call the hotel to make sure there won't be surprises. I considered asking the concierge, but I figure dealing with the hotel should be more straightforward.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
Here is a good option: YUL has a 24x7 left items storage facility. $8CAD per 24 hours for a carry on size bag
Thanks. I will be using that facility a week before when transiting through YUL. When heading to Quebec City, it would be too risky as I have a 100 minute connection at YUL and would need to go landside and back through security. No problem of course if the flight is on time and AC is happy to short-check my luggage. But I will not take the risk that the flight into YUL is delayed and I have not sufficient time to collect my suitcase that would be offloaded at YUL.

What I will try to do is to ask AC to "connect" my luggage at YUL instead of flying it back and forth to//from YQB. Flights are YHZ-YUL-YQB in the morning and YQB-YUL-BRU in the late afternoon. Not sure if they will do it, but the situation is not really different from a very long connection on a YHZ-YUL-BRU flight except for the fact that two tickets are involved (which usually is no problem as far as checked luggage is concerned if the tickets are on the same airline). With a rental car booked, there will be a Plan B in place.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vfw614
I take from the comments that domestic baggage reclaim at YQB or at Canadian airports in general is a public area?
Yes. Some make it look/seem "less" public than others, but for all intents and purposes for the average Joe, it's "public".
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew
Not sure how reliable they are, but AC social media told me that if you clear standby and don't show up at the gate, you're a no-show.
100% incorrect. You remain confirmed on your original flight. As stated by expert7700.
ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by jasdou
...there is no holding pen in the luggage system to store bags for later flights. I have checked a bag 6 hours before a flight once and the AC check in agent was very reluctant to accept it and advised that there was a risk that the bag could get lost because there is simply nowhere to put the bag in the back.
This is it right here.

If a bag is accepted super early at a small airport, especially one with frequent departures, there is a good chance that bag would get shoved in some far, dark corner of the bagroom. When flight time rolls around hours and hours later, it may be totally forgotten about.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

4 hours is what the AC website says. Given the fact that we are talking about YQB, I doubt that some customer-oriented, practical solutions are entertained - based on FT, YQB appears to be the most horrible Canadian Airport when it comes to customer service by staff.
I have checked a bag more than 4 hours before departure once at YYC. I had a loop in my routing, just like you with YUL. Basically YYC-YVR-YYC-YWG, and they checked it for just YYC-YWG before I departed to YVR.

YUL is much better equipped to handle bags than YQB, so assuming you were flying YYZ-YUL-YQB // YQB-YUL-YVR, I'd ask at YYZ if they can check it YYZ-YUL-YVR. You'd definitely need a competent agent, but it might work.

No, I will be travelling on a non-flexible business class ticket.
North American paid J allows free SDC and free standby on AC.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:40 am

I just checked prices, I can get a mid-sized rental car with a trunk with all insurance needed for as little as 70 CAD all in
Try autoslash.com for two things: A better rate, and their free price tracking of your booking.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by pinniped
This is probably the worst idea I've read here in a long time, easily 5-10% worse than sleeping on the airport floor and a solid 15% worse than using the rental car to actually drive to some 2-star fleabag you got on Priceline for forty bucks.

Someone from the rental agency will notice, wake you up, and tell you to leave with or without the car.

100% disagree as 60% of the time 80% of the stats are just made up. The choice to stay at a s-star fleabag hotel is 100% of the flyer, unless with a partner than its 50% of the decision and when with a spouse that 50% is usually 100% wrong.
Unless of course, the stats are from fake news, well than a whole new formula is used for that with the seperate US and Canadian metrics

I can say that i have never had an issue and you can read about it when my book comes out, cheapo Joes flying tips!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I am, however, still surprised that YQB boasted about self-service storage lockers a year ago when the revamped terminal was introduced but there is no sign of them a year later - and all requests for information/clarification sent to the airport go unanswered...
Airport has answered: A new federal law apparently requires screening of luggage stored at an airport, so the project was scrapped.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When traveling with a luggage-checking companion to YYZ, I have gone to the MLL with them after arriving at YYZ to wait for another friend's flight that was due to arrive a couple hours later.
After our friend arrived, we went to the domestic luggage area and picked up my friend's luggage without issues.

How dare I!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
When traveling with a luggage-checking companion to YYZ, I have gone to the MLL with them after arriving at YYZ to wait for another friend's flight that was due to arrive a couple hours later.
After our friend arrived, we went to the domestic luggage area and picked up my friend's luggage without issues.

How dare I!
I've gone to get a drink in the MLL just so I could post on FT that my bag was at the carousel before I got there.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've gone to get a drink in the MLL just so I could post on FT that my bag was at the carousel before I got there.
Big drink?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Stranger
Correct as far as North America is concerned. However in Europe, typically one goes through immigration at the first point of entry but customs at final destination so luggage claim is inside customs and not open to the public. Even at locations with no international flights.
But, it was unhelpful in the extreme for the poster to have generalized as OP is asking about YQB.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Nothing is more tempting to a thief than seeing one lonely bag orbiting on a luggage carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.