Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toronto Raptors Plane routing question

Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestions why the Toronto Raptors' charter is heading to the Monterey, CA regional airport tonight ? The Raptors were in Toronto all day Sunday in preparation for their basketball game Monday night. The same plane that is currently enroute YYZ-MYR flew YYZ- SFO on Friday to fetch the Raptors and SFO-YYZ on Saturday to return the team to Toronto for Game 5 Monday night. The team practiced today (Sunday) at Toronto. Why is the fully tricked-out A319 flying on its own to Monterey tonight when the team is in Toronto ?

To further complicate matters, the baseball Blue Jays fly to Baltimore on Monday afternoon on the other AC all-business seating A319 ... though I guess - if need be - that plane could return to Toronto on Tuesday to fly the basketball team to California (SFO) for a potential playoff Game 6.

But, any theories why the Raptors' plane would be flying solo to Monterey tonight ?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by AC319
Any suggestions why the Toronto Raptors' charter is heading to the Monterey, CA regional airport tonight ? The Raptors were in Toronto all day Sunday in preparation for their basketball game Monday night. The same plane that is currently enroute YYZ-MYR flew YYZ- SFO on Friday to fetch the Raptors and SFO-YYZ on Saturday to return the team to Toronto for Game 5 Monday night. The team practiced today (Sunday) at Toronto. Why is the fully tricked-out A319 flying on its own to Monterey tonight when the team is in Toronto ?

To further complicate matters, the baseball Blue Jays fly to Baltimore on Monday afternoon on the other AC all-business seating A319 ... though I guess - if need be - that plane could return to Toronto on Tuesday to fly the basketball team to California (SFO) for a potential playoff Game 6.

But, any theories why the Raptors' plane would be flying solo to Monterey tonight ?
I may be wrong but I thought the Raptors and GSW flew back to Toronto on a Delta Charter.
AC319 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: FOTSG
The Raptors team itself has been flying on Delta. My understanding is that the NBA is somehow involved with the logistics behind team movements and that Delta has the contract (maybe just for this part of the post season?).

The AC charters are likely for friends and family or media, support staff, etc.
AC319 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
I may be wrong but I thought the Raptors and GSW flew back to Toronto on a Delta Charter.
They did (both teams), there were 3 DL charters flying OAK-YYZ on Saturday, in addition to a few private planes
https://flightaware.com/live/findflight?origin=KOAK&destination=CYYZ

and the plane is scheduled to fly back to OAK tomorrow as DL8954 at 10am.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl8954

flew YYZ- SFO on Friday to fetch the Raptors and SFO-YYZ on Saturday to return the team to Toronto for Game 5 Monday night. ?
The teams flew in and out of OAK.
AC319 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Also, MYR isn't in California.
Twickenham and jerry305 like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: air miles
I'm sure they keep those charter aircraft busy between Saturday morning and Tuesday morning.
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:42 pm

What happens to the flight tomorrow if the Raptors win tonight and dont return to Oakland??
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Regarding AC Jetz charters, it's not necessarily like one Jetz FIN is solely devoted to one team during their contracted travels with them.

And seriously, the four major pro leagues' teams have access to the necessary resources to ensure that the proper travel arrangements are booked for them, so it's not like OMG what happened to their charter! What if they lose or win or tie! Lol.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Since it's confirmed that Raptors fly DL, this thread should be moved to DL forum or have its title changed to:

"Toronto Raptors Plane routing question - Effect on AC"
canadiancow and Plumber like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions ! Apologies for the typo in my original post - Monterey regional airport in California is MRY of course (not MYR) - MRY being the code I meant to type when later abbreviated following first asking specifically about Monterey, CA, which is not too far from Oakland.

I can now understand that the chartered Air Canada A319 that flew YYZ-SFO-YYZ on Friday and Saturday could well have been ferrying fans or media, etc for NBA Game 4 on Friday night. What I still don't understand is why the same AC aircraft would have flown to MRY on Sunday night !?

To recap and clarify:

Friday June 7 - AC 7027 (an A319 all-business configuration which I initially assumed was sent to fetch the Raptors team) flies YYZ-SFO
Friday night - basketball finals Game 4 (at Oakland)
Saturday June 8 - AC 7028 (same plane as above) SFO-YYZ
Sunday night June 9 - AC 7027 (same plane) YYZ-MRY
Monday night June 10 - basketball finals Game 5 (at Toronto)

Any further thoughts on why the AC A319 charter would be sitting on the tarmac at the regional airport in Monterey, CA (albeit near Oakland) ?

Thanks again for your help with my curiosity !
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions ! Apologies for the typo in my original post - Monterey regional airport in California is MRY of course (not MYR) - MRY being the code I meant to type when later abbreviated following first asking specifically about Monterey, CA, which is not too far from Oakland.

I can now understand that the chartered Air Canada A319 that flew YYZ-SFO-YYZ on Friday and Saturday could well have been ferrying fans or media, etc for NBA Game 4 on Friday night. What I still don't understand is why the same AC aircraft would have flown to MRY on Sunday night !?

To recap and clarify:

Friday June 7 - AC 7027 (an A319 all-business configuration which I initially assumed was sent to fetch the Raptors team) flies YYZ-SFO
Friday night - basketball finals Game 4 (at Oakland)
Saturday June 8 - AC 7028 (same plane as above) SFO-YYZ
Sunday night June 9 - AC 7027 (same plane) YYZ-MRY
Monday night June 10 - basketball finals Game 5 (at Toronto)

Any further thoughts on why the AC A319 charter would be sitting on the tarmac at the regional airport in Monterey, CA (albeit near Oakland) ?

Thanks again for your help with my curiosity !
Canadian Open golf finished Sunday.
US Open is this week in Pebble Beach
Players? Probably chartered by Golf Canada to get a bunch of players from the Canadian Open down to the US Open. In past seasons, they had to charter a plane to get them from the Birtish Open to the Canadian open. This changed as our tourney was moved up, but to get some serious players to attend (the tier below Rory who have their own NetJets contract), they usually cut a deal to give them transportation.
AC319 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:58 pm

The plane was used to take the golfers playing in RBC Canadian Open in Hamilton to next event which is the US Open in Pebble Beach (MRY is closest airport)....Players get a ride on Sunday night immediately after event finished in Hamilton.....probably used YYZ to pre-clear customs
AC319 and tcook052 like this.

Last edited by Hummer1829; Jun 10, 2019 at 6:01 pm Reason: Wrong information
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for the golf tourneys information. Ah Ha ! It makes sense now. Thank you all very much for your time and patience !
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:27 pm

ATC talking to the Warriors plane. Offers a short final in exchange for tickets.
AC319 and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Oh no, how are the Raps getting back to OAK?!!!!!
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.