Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amazing Aeroplan success to Melbourne - all J class

Amazing Aeroplan success to Melbourne - all J class

Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
There are some pro Aeroplan searchers on here that tell me that searching, for elusive SQ or LH F or other, requires daily effort at the very least, but how far in advance is YMMV. Quite often people here truly luck out after minimum effort.
Pulled 2 J seats HNL/YYZ for February 2020 with 787 service on first look last week. There was still R3 after I booked that segment.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by acysb87
Pulled 2 J seats HNL/YYZ for February 2020 with 787 service on first look last week. There was still R3 after I booked that segment.
I'm talking more about those who don't have IKK power or find unicorn SQ seats... or similar.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm talking more about those who don't have IKK power or find unicorn SQ seats... or similar.
Was not priority availability. IOW, Mrs.acysb87 could book and fees were less than 100.00
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Was not priority availability. IOW, Mrs.acysb87 could book and fees were less than 100.00
Well then, that is impressive.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by ijakov
How long have you been monitoring/searching?

If I understood you correctly, AC released some award inventory 5-6 months out, right?

thanks
I was checking daily for a while, and never saw the direct YVR-MEL. Although I did find some nice connections on SQ, every time I tried to book I got Sorry, seats are no longer available. This ghost SQ availability was all in late November early December, so that is where I focused my search - plus, it is close to summer too.

Then I was just checking occasionally on my PC (the initial searches were on mobile. Then, voila... it appeared. I assumed it would be ghost availability again, it it went all the way through and I got all the necessary confirmations.

Last edited by YVR72; Jun 12, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There are some pro Aeroplan searchers on here that tell me that searching, for elusive SQ or LH F or other, requires daily effort at the very least, but how far in advance is YMMV. Quite often people here truly luck out after minimum effort.
SQ F is generally completely unavailable outside of short hops like SIN-CGK. There are some routes where it's strangely available, and other glitches will cause it to appear.

LH F is easy. Ignore it until T-14, then start doing daily searches.

The real trick is understanding that Aeroplan will never show SIN-BKK-HKG-YVR-SFO as a SIN-SFO option, even though it's completely valid and just needs to be called in. If you understand where it makes sense to connect, and can do your own searches, it's much easier to find useful itineraries.

If you expect YYZ-DPS // DPS-CGN // CGN-YYZ to get you something good in the online search, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by YVR72

Then I was just checking occasionally on my PC (the initial searches were on mobile. Then, voila... it appeared. I assumed it would be ghost availability again, it it went all the way through and I got all the necessary confirmations.
Looks like you haven't used ExpertFlyer with alerts, right?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by YVR72
Paid about $900... ugghh. But, obviously I decided it was worth it.
I believe Australia has really strong regulations on YQ and in my searches, my surcharge wasnt limited to $15. Having a stopover in Australia should eliminate YQ on the return leg so Im assuming $900 YQ was all on the YVR-MEL leg?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijakov
Looks like you haven't used ExpertFlyer with alerts, right?
Oh, no - I wasnt getting that scientific. I should sign up for that for future needs. I guess that would pretty much solve the non-stop searching issue.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tajee165

I believe Australia has really strong regulations on YQ and in my searches, my surcharge wasnt limited to $15. Having a stopover in Australia should eliminate YQ on the return leg so Im assuming $900 YQ was all on the YVR-MEL leg?
yes - all Air Canada. So, Im paying about 10% of the value of the flight.

Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Fees for HNL-YYZ should be $7.50 each

Save the receipt for the inevitable class action against fake taxes being charged by AC on transborder itineraries!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is very suspicious as YVR-MEL only has $25 in YQ, and TPE-YVR is only $51.
If you buy a multicity YVR-MEL,TPE-YVR ticket - YQ is only $50

So one has to wonder where $795 is coming from.

Quite the scam AC has going (and they cant use the "passed on to operating carrier" nonsense here)
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is very suspicious as YVR-MEL only has $25 in YQ, and TPE-YVR is only $51.
If you buy a multicity YVR-MEL,TPE-YVR ticket - YQ is only $50

So one has to wonder where $795 is coming from.

Quite the scam AC has going (and they cant use the "passed on to operating carrier" nonsense here)
Made a spelling error in my previous response and meant to say all legs originating in Australia WAS limited to $15 in YQ. I also want to know how $795 in YQ was racked up...

Also, I assume OP couldve booked his mRTW in the other direction - start with TPE and end with the MEL-YVR which wouldve saved OP $700+. Since MEL-YVR is $15 YQ and BR and SQ do not incur YQ. But this might not work for their schedule, dates, and availability, etc.

Paying some YQ could be worth it to secure direct flight and/or difficult space on a long haul. 🙂
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Made a spelling error in my previous response and meant to say all legs originating in Australia WAS limited to $15 in YQ. I also want to know how $795 in YQ was racked up...

Also, I assume OP couldve booked his mRTW in the other direction - start with TPE and end with the MEL-YVR which wouldve saved OP $700+. Since MEL-YVR is $15 YQ and BR and SQ do not incur YQ. But this might not work for their schedule, dates, and availability, etc.

Paying some YQ could be worth it to secure direct flight and/or difficult space on a long haul. 🙂
Even the YQ on YVR MEL revenue is $25
$795 is not even what AC charge themselves.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

So, what would I do to investigate this carrier surcharge Im paying?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.