FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Same day standby (New York - Toronto) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1973188-same-day-standby-new-york-toronto.html)

global happy traveller Jun 8, 2019 6:08 pm

Same day standby (New York - Toronto)

Trying to figure out if....

1. If they allow changing departure airport (EWR to LGA)
2. Stand by for a "later" departure

I've done earlier departures before (and always assumed it has to be earlier only), but never standing by later flight.....
Talked to the social media team and they say its permissible (subject to space availability).

Per my ticket - I'm on Economy Standard fare A class.

Has anyone tried same day standby from New York to Toronto for a later flight? What are your experiences?

SparseFlyer Jun 8, 2019 6:48 pm

IIRC you cannot standby for a later flight.

Because by the time the later flight gets processed it's too late to be on your original flight, so you can only standby early or SDC to early/later.

I think other FTers have done standby from YYZ/YTZ, but I can't remember if it was YTO as origin or as destination... maybe both...

global happy traveller Jun 8, 2019 7:10 pm

Right now Im booked on AM flight, but change of travel plans would probably have me leaving late afternoon/early evening.

Their policy though does not state same day standby must be ‘earlier’ for NYC-YYZ. Hence my question to AC social media and the surprising response.

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31183904)
IIRC you cannot standby for a later flight.

Because by the time the later flight gets processed it's too late to be on your original flight, so you can only standby early or SDC to early/later.

I think other FTers have done standby from YYZ/YTZ, but I can't remember if it was YTO as origin or as destination... maybe both...

SparseFlyer Jun 8, 2019 8:39 pm

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e1a166e23b.jpg

SparseFlyer Jun 8, 2019 8:43 pm

Think about it. You standby for a later flight and you don't clear. What then.

Also, the idea of free standby is to allow an earlier flight that was about to leave with empty seats fill up so that the next flight has available seats for sale and misconnections.

global happy traveller Jun 8, 2019 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31184103)
Think about it. You standby for a later flight and you don't clear. What then.

Also, the idea of free standby is to allow an earlier flight that was about to leave with empty seats fill up so that the next flight has available seats for sale and misconnections.

makes sense to me..... very reason why I’m asking FTers for a second opinion. now I’m confused as to why their social media advised otherwise......

guess same day change via OLCI might be a better route for me.

SparseFlyer Jun 8, 2019 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller (Post 31184125)

makes sense to me..... very reason why I’m asking FTers for a second opinion. now I’m confused as to why their social media advised otherwise......

Because AC's SM team is not made up of pros.

Also yes to OLCI SDC.

Also you're welcome.

Adam Smith Jun 9, 2019 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31184150)
Also yes to OLCI SDC.

Does OLCI offer SDC to later? I only remember seeing SDC to earlier flights.

canadiancow Jun 9, 2019 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 31186576)
Does OLCI offer SDC to later? I only remember seeing SDC to earlier flights.

OLCI will show you the next two flights. On a route like NYC-YTO, that means you're only going to get earlier options unless you do it really close to the check-in cutoff. But even then, you won't be able to move it 6 hours later.

On something like SFO-YYZ where there aren't many flights, you can generally change it to whatever you want.

SteadyAT Jun 9, 2019 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller (Post 31184125)

Using OLCI, I'm not sure you'll see the options for a different departing airport although I do not have specific experience NY to Toronto.
- When I want to make a SDC from Montreal to Toronto, if booked YUL to YYZ, I do not get the earlier flight options to YTZ during OLCI. I make this change once I get to YUL at the Rapidair desk.
- Likewise, when I was booked to fly YYZ to YUL, and the forecast was calling for snow, I tried to SDC to an earlier flight departing YTZ instead but I had to go to YTZ to make the SDC (I live downtown so took the chance and went to and caught the earlier flight before the storm).

Santander Jun 9, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SteadyAT (Post 31186985)
Using OLCI, I'm not sure you'll see the options for a different departing airport although I do not have specific experience NY to Toronto.

I've never been offered options for the other airport during OLCI when flying NYC-YTO and vice-versa.