FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AP Charged Wrong # Miles - Took them on a incorrect X to J Change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1973063-ap-charged-wrong-miles-took-them-incorrect-x-j-change.html)

mjrobson Jun 7, 2019 1:46 pm

AP Charged Wrong # Miles - Took them on a incorrect X to J Change

Curious on your thoughts with this situation.

Booked YYZ-LIS-DBV / ZAG-ZRH-ORD-YYZ in J for 4 in a split booking of 2 and 2 beause they only had 2 J from LIS-DBV. In addition, ORD-YYZ had all 4 seats in X.

Two seats came in up ORD-YYZ in J, so I called in to have one of the bookedings bumped up.

When I got the change confirmation, I saw that they moved us to J on a completely different flight and effectively cancelled my original booking and rebooked a new award. From what I can see, the agent who did the original booking over the phone only charged us 110k per ticket, instead of 115k for Europe 2. In my account, they refunded the 110k and took 115k. I had to call back and get our flight corrected and they said they took the correct number of miles.

Given it was their mistake to begin with, would you have expected AP to do that on a request to move from X to J on a J award or did it happen because they switched us to a completely different flight (on purpose?) to recoup those miles.

YEG USER Jun 7, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by mjrobson (Post 31180678)
Curious on your thoughts with this situation.

Booked YYZ-LIS-DBV / ZAG-ZRH-ORD-YYZ in J for 4 in a split booking of 2 and 2 beause they only had 2 J from LIS-DBV. In addition, ORD-YYZ had all 4 seats in X.

Two seats came in up ORD-YYZ in J, so I called in to have one of the bookedings bumped up.

When I got the change confirmation, I saw that they moved us to J on a completely different flight and effectively cancelled my original booking and rebooked a new award. From what I can see, the agent who did the original booking over the phone only charged us 110k per ticket, instead of 115k for Europe 2. In my account, they refunded the 110k and took 115k. I had to call back and get our flight corrected and they said they took the correct number of miles.

Given it was their mistake to begin with, would you have expected AP to do that on a request to move from X to J on a J award or did it happen because they switched us to a completely different flight (on purpose?) to recoup those miles.

IMHO you don’t have a leg to stand on here. AP may have charged incorrect miles initially but once you make a change all bets are off. When upgrading flights (for paid J and ticketed in Y), if a seat opens up and you can upgrade, AP recalculated taxes/fees when they reissue the ticket. Looks to me from your experience the same thing happens with the mileage component.

It looks like AP was honouring the original mistake - they never came after you for more miles until your change. Until the change they were going to give you what you ticketed, for the price you paid.

rankourabu Jun 7, 2019 2:15 pm

Rule #1 of Aeroplan pricing mistakes (and they make plenty) - keep quiet.

Bright side - you now how ORD-YYZ, upgraded for only 5k per person!