Advice on Travelling with children

Old Jun 5, 19, 11:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Advice on Travelling with children

Hi..
Travelling from YYZ-YEG with the family.
Our son is 2.5 years old and our new baby is a month!

Havent done this before and the options are a Rouge 767, AC 767 and narrow body AC flights.

Travelling with 2 kids is new for us - luckily Grandma will be along to help!

I'm assuming a wide body would be better over a narrow body. I think only the wide bodies have bassinets - and I have access to preferred seats.

Rouge shows a seat pitch of 30'" vs 32-34 on AC? I cant seem to find out what the bulkhead pitches are though...

We could do J on the AC 767 - classic pods - but I really dont know how a 2.5 year old could stay alone in a pod for take off and landing...

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC S100K
I can’t answer your questions, but did want to point out that YEG - YYZ aircraft having been changing a lot, so you probably can’t count on a particular plane flying the route. I’m flying that route next week and my plane has changed from 737 to Rouge 767 to mainline 767 to 320 and, today, to 321. I upgraded when I saw it was a mainline 767, but am now “stuck” on a 321 (for which I probably wouldn’t have bothered).
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Originally Posted by llbean View Post
Hi..
Travelling from YYZ-YEG with the family.
Our son is 2.5 years old and our new baby is a month!

Havent done this before and the options are a Rouge 767, AC 767 and narrow body AC flights.

Travelling with 2 kids is new for us - luckily Grandma will be along to help!

I'm assuming a wide body would be better over a narrow body. I think only the wide bodies have bassinets - and I have access to preferred seats.

Rouge shows a seat pitch of 30'" vs 32-34 on AC? I cant seem to find out what the bulkhead pitches are though...

We could do J on the AC 767 - classic pods - but I really dont know how a 2.5 year old could stay alone in a pod for take off and landing...

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.
Having traveled a fair bit with young kids incl TATL and TCON thought not as young as one month, I would avoid J. No way you can give them the attention they deserve. Widebody is better as none of you will be trapped with aisle access both sides. I believe the Rouge bulkhead is marginally better, perhaps 32" though thats me guessing based on my experience.
Since grandma is coming along, I would suggest taking 2 seats bulkhead aisle or the row behind if available and 2 seats in the bulkhead centre. More space for everyone that way. Taking the aisle seats one row behind bulkhead allows bags (specially the all imp diaper bag) to be placed under the seat and easily accessible. If you take all bulkhead you will be opening the bins a lot.
Old Jun 5, 19, 7:58 pm

Bulkheads are awesome for a toddler no matter what the seat pitch. No seat in front for him to kick.

My kid is 3 and he stayed in his seat for almost 90 minutes in new J pod, fed a steady rate of gummy bears every couple of minutes. I was slightly behind him and I did have to rebuckle him a couple of times. We got stuck on the ground for a while before taking off.
Old Jun 5, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ride red View Post
Bulkheads are awesome for a toddler no matter what the seat pitch.
This.

We did an A330 flight last week along with a 787. As a family of four, we took the middle seats on a non-bulkhead row on the 333 and 1+3 on the bulkhead row of the 788. Despite the narrower seats and the aisle between us, the 787 was a better experience because of the extra room for the kids to get up without disturbing anyone.

I would probably opt for either of the 767 because of the 2-3-2 configuration in the back. Take the bulkhead on either side of the plane along with the row behind and youíll have 4 relatively confined seats for the 5 of you.

PS Bassinets might not be as convenient as you would think. Kids canít be in there when the seatbelt sign is on, so youíll have to remove them if theyíre sleeping and you hit some turbulence. You also canít sit the kid up in the bassinet, although depending on when you take your flight, that might not be a concern,

PPS Congrats on the new addition!
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:44 am

Programs: AC SE, Hertz 5*, Avis P+, Acc Plat, HY Exp, HH Gold, BonV Titanium
Originally Posted by ride red View Post
Bulkheads are awesome for a toddler no matter what the seat pitch. No seat in front for him to kick.
Iíll take an opposite opinion, or at least temper it with ďit depends.Ē When my kids were 2.5 they could sit in their seats and their legs would stick out straight and not come anywhere close to the seat in front of them. It was when they were older (4ish) when their legs could actually reach the seat in front that Iíd worry about kicking.

If your kidís legs canít reach the seat in front, then pick whatever seat is most comfortable for you. I hate most bulkheads as i like to stretch my legs out under seat in front of me, plus bulkhead seats often have trays in armrests which take away from width. When travelling with a kid you can also raise movable armrests in other rows and take over some of their space without concern.

If seat kicking is a concern, either my wife or I or other child would take the seat in front of the child we were worried about, but our concerns never materialized.
Old Jun 6, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
I can tell you what I did when travelling with my kids, I do the following:

1) the night before make sure the kids are well rested and fed
2) They receive ice cream and plenty of sugar candy, I suggest Boston Creme doughnuts prior to boarding the plane
3) Because of the noise of the aircraft, kids have toys that make loud sounds so they can hear the noise and be entertained
4)They bring onboard with them, toys that they can play with other passengers like balls, ring toss, float planes
5)Neuf bats are always fun on planes as they can practice with Neuf balls and fellow passengers can also get involved
6)To encourage kids to learn to be more independent and fully allow their creativeness to come out, sit several rows away from the kids so they are on their own

I learned that you get to meet and get to know a lot more people when you follow these easy six-step program
Old Jun 6, 19, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post

2) They receive ice cream and plenty of sugar candy, I suggest Boston Creme doughnuts prior to boarding the plane
3) Because of the noise of the aircraft, kids have toys that make loud sounds so they can hear the noise and be entertained
4)They bring onboard with them, toys that they can play with other passengers like balls, ring toss, float planes
5)Neuf bats are always fun on planes as they can practice with Neuf balls and fellow passengers can also get involved
6)To encourage kids to learn to be more independent and fully allow their creativeness to come out, sit several rows away from the kids so they are on their own

I learned that you get to meet and get to know a lot more people when you follow these easy six-step program
For a second I thought @canadiancow was your kid playing with nerf toys and beer pong.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:22 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

I read point 1 and thought okay that makes sense, point 2 had me thinking what really? I soon came to realize this post was perhaps not entirely serious

Point 6 reminds me, friend and his wife and their two kids were sitting somewhere close to the front of Y a year or so back, due to WB FA said anyone want to move to the back? Apparently my friends had had never moved so fast. His wife was not amused

Perhaps more seriously food is an important one to consider. Different friend was flying J out and Y back on a long haul with their kid who was... 1-2 years old? They fed him something wrong and the kid ending up puking everywhere. Including over another pax very expensive shoes (not to mention both parents). They were not popular. Upon arrival he said okay that's it we're not doing that again in Y so they rang in to upgrade back to J. Walked into the plane for the return and puke shoe woman was there again Moral of this story is, there are good and bad things to feed kids. What they are I don't know but perhaps others do.
flyquiet and smallmj like this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER View Post
If your kidís legs canít reach the seat in front, then pick whatever seat is most comfortable for you. I hate most bulkheads as i like to stretch my legs out under seat in front of me, plus bulkhead seats often have trays in armrests which take away from width. When travelling with a kid you can also raise movable armrests in other rows and take over some of their space without concern.

If seat kicking is a concern, either my wife or I or other child would take the seat in front of the child we were worried about, but our concerns never materialized.
For such a short flight (or even a longer one for that point), I would agree and pick the seats for you and flights based on best time etc. and not worry about what seats the kids sit in. In my opinion it will have a marginal impact on your flight experience. My wife and I did a mini RTW last year with 5 kids 7 and under (including 1 year old twins). Narrow body or wide didn't really come into play and one wasn't better or worse with the kids. The biggest impact on our flights was not monitoring how much candy and cookies the 3 year ate in the AMEX lounge in Melbourne which caused him to be sick multiple times on the flight to Singapore.
Old Jun 6, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold

Right out of the WTME Pro Parenting handbook.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by llbean View Post

Keep in mind that preferred seats on rouge 767s (not necessarily the bulkhead) are ~35" in pitch, so not a bad option if you have access to them at no charge.

Sorry, can't help on any specific advice on kids

Last edited by ChrisA330; Jun 6, 19 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 6, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I think perhaps the OP's first post should be read again. He has a party of five including a one month old and a 2.5yr old. So it is the OP, spouse, grandma, 2.5 yr old and a one year old. So unless the OP/spouse wants to carry the one month old for the duration of the flight (not completely unusual), a bassinet would be required which would mean a bulkhead.
If the OP does not care about a bassinet, then a preferred seat is better than a bulkhead on a widebody as you have the same leg space plus room under the seat below to store bags including a diaper bag.
So then its down to which configuration. Assuming the one month old does not have a paid seat, the OP will be in a 3+1 seating (middle 3 seats plus one aisle) or a two aisle and two middle.
I was suggesting 2+2 so grandma and 2.5yr old can sit together. Dad and Mom can sit with the one month old in a bulkhead seat with bassinet.
Much simpler on a single aisle plane but there is no bassinets in the bulkhead seats behind J.
Old Jun 6, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I much prefer widebodies with a kid as there is more space to move around the plane if the seatbelt sign is off
Old Jun 6, 19, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
If I was the father, I'd want several forged documents, matching believable blood/stool/hair samples.

As an unrelated PAX? I'd encourage no. Please don't.

Search this Thread