Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by sunzi
Instead of wasting lawyer resources and money going after her, IMHO, it is better to spend money and resources on beefing up your anti fraud detection.
First, people have the same name, so 3 events joined by unreliable data in 18 months isn't quite a pattern. Only international tickets would (at the airport) need linking to some unique identifier.

Second, AC isn't spending money or resources. "going after her", they are leaving the problem up to her to deal with. They just have stopped doing business with her.

The only real problem I see is if anyone else named "Ann Qian" wants to take a domestic AC flight.
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by RangerNS
First, people have the same name, so 3 events joined by unreliable data in 18 months isn't quite a pattern. Only international tickets would (at the airport) need linking to some unique identifier.

Second, AC isn't spending money or resources. "going after her", they are leaving the problem up to her to deal with. They just have stopped doing business with her.

The only real problem I see is if anyone else named "Ann Qian" wants to take a domestic AC flight.
​​​​​​
Yes, people do have the same name so how did AC know this was the same 'Ann Qian'. According to the article, she was stopped at the airport so I suspect there was an id check probably using the passport to figure this was the 'one'. They could have done that for the second flight or third flight. They could of also looked at what other common identifiers such as was the same phone number, email used to purchase the tickets.

To your second point, drafting a letter requires resources and the fact it is going to arbitration in front of the Canadian Transportation Agency will require resources and money.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Wouldn't surprise me if she also had an Aeroplan account, banked the J premium miles and was linked that way.
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I have very mixed emotions about this case.

On one hand, I believe that she is just a nieve & gullible victim - I don't buy that she's a criminal mastermind.

On the other, I can see AC deciding that they would rather not do business anymore with someone who has proven themselves susceptible to being taken advantage of by real fraudsters (with AC ultimately having to pay the costs).

As was pointed out above, it does not sound like AC are actively going after her to recover the money ... they are just declining to engage in subsequent business transactions with her. It's hard for me to come down on them too hard for doing that.

If I was a hotel chain, and every time a certain person booked a room (whether directly or indirectly through a broker) the credit card was later declined and I had to eat the costs ... after a few similar transactions, would it really be surprising if I just said "thanks but no thanks" the next time the same person tried to book another room from me?
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
From the article.........
.... flying three times with Air Canada over almost a year and a half without an issue.
Qian says she paid "CaptainCooll" $5,800 for the flights, which included "deals" on business class seats.

Do we know how many of these flights were in Business Class?
Or the ratio of flights to YVR/PVG?
$5800 for three round trips with a couple segments in J isn't unreasonable.From the article.........
.....for a pre-booked fifth flight to Shanghai — another $3,600.

Current pricing for September is less than $4100. How would this kettle know that $3600 for J is unreasonable?
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
.... No one would reasonably buy half price tickets from a random person online and assume it's 100% legit. ....
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
... targetted with Korean ads (was recently over there) offerring half-price J and F tickets from a third-party site. I can wager a guess it's either a points broker or stolen tickets, .....
Who are we or anyone else to determine what 1/2 price is? The mysteries of airline pricing are greater than the mysteries of Wechat.
I regularly see P fares, 75% discounted from full J. Does that make me a better shopper than the KE facebook ads?
Remember the 5th trip she booked was a J cabin fare for $3600. Not unreasonable for the route in question.

Hopefully Ms. Qian will graduate soon so she can make amends to AC by coming up with a new banana bread reicpe.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
I have very mixed emotions about this case.

On one hand, I believe that she is just a nieve & gullible victim - I don't buy that she's a criminal mastermind.

On the other, I can see AC deciding that they would rather not do business anymore with someone who has proven themselves susceptible to being taken advantage of by real fraudsters (with AC ultimately having to pay the costs).

As was pointed out above, it does not sound like AC are actively going after her to recover the money ... they are just declining to engage in subsequent business transactions with her. It's hard for me to come down on them too hard for doing that.

If I was a hotel chain, and every time a certain person booked a room (whether directly or indirectly through a broker) the credit card was later declined and I had to eat the costs ... after a few similar transactions, would it really be surprising if I just said "thanks but no thanks" the next time the same person tried to book another room from me?
But they are not just refusing to do business with her, they are demanding money from her....which infers ( granted we can’t be certain,we can only infer, what was said in the correspondence) that if she pays they will then be open to doing business with her again.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Co worker of mine (from Shanghai) happened to mention to me today the story was getting some traction on Chinese language site, and the general comments did not seem to be overly sympathetic towards the young lady.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​
Incorrect, she paid the fraudster who bought the ticket with a stolen CC which she wouldn't have known from the current facts. Whether it is legally her fault, you do not know that for sure. The courts will decide that.

Finally, if the situation happened with my credit card, I would want the police and AC to go after the fraudster not this lady. How would going after her prevent this from happening again? They will just go scam some other unsuspecting person.
That's not correct, as far as AC is concerned. The ticket is in her name, the contract is between her and AC. That there was a third party that did the work for her is immaterial. And good luck with the police; especially since the guy is likely in China or Belarus.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​
Yes, people do have the same name so how did AC know this was the same 'Ann Qian'. According to the article, she was stopped at the airport so I suspect there was an id check probably using the passport to figure this was the 'one'. They could have done that for the second flight or third flight. They could of also looked at what other common identifiers such as was the same phone number, email used to purchase the tickets.

To your second point, drafting a letter requires resources and the fact it is going to arbitration in front of the Canadian Transportation Agency will require resources and money.
Eventually she was stopped. Additionally, Ann is likely not part of her official names, and her transliterated official name likely would hit quite a few matches, given the way Chinese names work. Plus, if the fraudster is half as smart as he should be there should be no other identifiers. Passport number might be the only one, assuming she did not change in the meantime. Plus these are not needed or recorded for domestic trips. Best possibility would be to catch her on the second overseas trip; which may be what happened, or maybe the third?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Genetk44

But they are not just refusing to do business with her, they are demanding money from her....which infers ( granted we can’t be certain,we can only infer, what was said in the correspondence) that if she pays they will then be open to doing business with her again.
As you say, it depends what was written in the letter to her ... but my interpretation is that they are not actively going after the money from her.

(I think that)​ ​​they have explained that if she reimburses them for their lost costs, then they will lift the travel ban on her ... but if she chooses not to then it doesn't sound like they will chase her in court, they will just leave the ban in place.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:51 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tracon
Who are we or anyone else to determine what 1/2 price is? The mysteries of airline pricing are greater than the mysteries of Wechat.
I regularly see P fares, 75% discounted from full J. Does that make me a better shopper than the KE facebook ads?
Remember the 5th trip she booked was a J cabin fare for $3600. Not unreasonable for the route in question.

Hopefully Ms. Qian will graduate soon so she can make amends to AC by coming up with a new banana bread reicpe.
CaptainCooll did, scammers advertises that you can get discount up to 70% off. Customers looking for a deal can easily compare the lowest prices on aircanada.com/googleflights/ctrip with the prices these sellers are offering and decide that it's worth the risk to save big.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lewisc
I don't think there is much of a chance Air Canada will able to win, and collect any money. Certainly not enough to cover legal fees.

I suspect the purpose is to generate enough publicity to reduce these kinds of "sales".

It does sound fishy. It took Air Canada a year to discover a ticket was paid for with a stolen credit card.

How many threads have we seen regarding mistake fares?
Air Canada is slow. That's not fishy.

Mistake fares are nothing like this. Sub $50 TATL base fares are common, and not mistakes.

I've paid all manner of amounts from ~$800 to ~$5000 USD to fly TATL round-trip on Air Canada. Please tell me the exact dollar figure where it crosses from "mistake" to "sale". A "mistake" is when an airline retroactively decides it was a mistake. The airline receives the money they requested. Unlike in this case, where a contract was formed, the passenger flew, but AC was never paid.
yscleo likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
(I think that)​ ​​they have explained that if she reimburses them for their lost costs, then they will lift the travel ban on her ... but if she chooses not to then it doesn't sound like they will chase her in court, they will just leave the ban in place.
There was a further allegation, that she was disruptive or a danger to AC's operations, that was apparently made in the letter. Maybe some sort of tantrum when she was denied or even removed when already aboard?

The principle here, that AC is denying all future service (and not just inhibiting all future CC-transactions from her), to enforce a civil dispute over services already rendered, opens a huge can of worms. For example, if someone goes bankrupt, and owes AC money for whatever reason (ie: a multi-month flight pass commitment was broken, for example), bankruptcy means an automatic judicial stay on collection processes, proceedings, etc, and AC's claims are only resolvable as an unsecured creditor to the bankrupt. It is well acknowledged in law that a creditor cannot deny future service on the sole basis of the existence of a debt for which the bankruptcy process has been entered into, in effect, creating a superior claim against a bankrupt that would not ordinarily exist per the statutory hierarchy of debts in bankruptcy. I don't see why the same principle doesn't apply here, especially since we do accept that carriers have certain statutory obligations. If XYZ Mining Co. buys flight passes, goes bankrupt, stiffs AC on a bunch of termination fees, does AC get to ban the (former) Board, Management, and employees that travelled until they fork up their share?

Last edited by pitz; Jun 5, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by pitz
There was a further allegation, that she was disruptive or a danger to AC's operations, that was apparently made in the letter. Maybe some sort of tantrum when she was denied or even removed when already aboard?

The principle here, that AC is denying all future service, to enforce a civil dispute over services already rendered, opens a huge can of worms. For example, if someone goes bankrupt, and owes AC money for whatever reason (ie: a multi-month flight pass commitment was broken, for example), bankruptcy means an automatic judicial stay on collection processes, proceedings, etc, and AC's claims are only resolvable as an unsecured creditor to the bankrupt. It is well acknowledged in law that a creditor cannot deny future service on the sole basis of the existence of a debt for which the bankruptcy process has been entered into, in effect, creating a superior claim against a bankrupt that would not ordinarily exist per the statutory hierarchy of debts in bankruptcy. I don't see why the same principle doesn't apply here, especially since we do accept that carriers have certain statutory obligations. If XYZ Mining Co. buys flight passes, goes bankrupt, stiffs AC on a bunch of termination fees, does AC get to ban the (former) Board, Management, and employees that travelled until they fork up their share?
Because bankruptcy protection is a special thing, which is why it has a special word to describe it.

But in any case, airline tickets are prepaid. It is atypical for anyone to be in debt to an airline. You might be able to make an argument you can't refuse to serve someone currently in debt to you at a restaurant, as it is customary to pay after. Which is why they must always accept cash (US phrasing "good for all debts").

Airlines are always pay first. And Air Canada is free to negotiate with this individual for the conditions of future service. Which seems to be paying up on past service.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pitz
Or they made it up because it makes their story sound better.
canopus27 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.