Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Unlike many here, I am tempted to give her the benefit of doubt. As has been alluded to half the public (I think 95% might be closer) think $600 if 'full fare economy' YVR YYZ return, many people just don't think and think something is a great deal.

Now, could or should she have known? Sure. Now try proving it. What happened to innocent until proved guilty - it may not be a popular law but it IS the law in almost every country on earth. What about Hanlon's Razor that I've seen in numerous other threads - normally with regards to IT but this could just be the case of someone who honestly did not know better. Heck just look at the number of people who fall for CRA and IR and other like scams buying tens of thousands in gift cards and all. Or door to door sellers.

Not to get too off topic here but let's compare this to the recent example many of us have seen where AC go over the top going after people for things most of us consider minor. In such a case they decided to take a somewhat well known SE to court over (in a nutshell) using the lounge and then not flying a few times. Perhaps they didn't do their research, perhaps they thought said person would back down, whatever happened they were wrong - ie: no backing down occurred and it was, as we know settled out of court. primarily (and I do NOT know the details of the NDA) because AC finally figured out the picked the wrong person to make an example of.

In this case, perhaps they decided or managed to pick on someone without the financial means / desire / experience to fight the monolith that is AC.

So, until someone hooks her up to a unbeatable lie detector (which doesn't exist) and has her admit she knew what she was doing, I'm going to believe she was innocent (if misguided) and think AC should go after the true criminals.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
You'd think "legal" would know not to say stupid stuff like that. There was no need to defend the action with additional comment. Add to that the current Canada v China climate... Why fan the flames?
I don't think there is much of a chance Air Canada will able to win, and collect any money. Certainly not enough to cover legal fees.

I suspect the purpose is to generate enough publicity to reduce these kinds of "sales".

It does sound fishy. It took Air Canada a year to discover a ticket was paid for with a stolen credit card.

How many threads have we seen regarding mistake fares?
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Sounds like she would have got scammed whether she was in Canada or China. While I have no sympathy for those who prey on others, there are often consequences for the people who get sucked in.

I doubt AC will seriously attempt to recover the money. But her hiring a lawyer to fight a 'ban' by AC seems equally questionable. She is lucky she wasn't simply taken for the money - AC was.
“her hiring a lawyer to fight the ban seems equally questionable”.....in what way exactly???? Since this is Canada she is innocent until proven guilty. Her having gone to the police to report the situation as soon as AC contacted her about this is the normal action of an innocent victim and hiring a lawyer to protect themselves against corporate bullying, including what some might consider blackmail is also, besides being the correct thing to in a situation like this, is also the action of an innocent victim.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by frogster
I assume even Air Canada isn’t quite sure that the customer is legally responsible for the fare – which is why they haven’t sued her and “only” blocked her from taking further flights with Air Canada.
Air Canada doesn't really need this one customers business. Suing her, even in small claims court, is going to take a corporate lawyer, or at least a corporate suit, who cost real money... And drag out the story. I guess swallowing the loss and letting her fly (with legit tickets) was possible, and AC bad press is always a risk, and I'm sure (HA!) they factored that in when they shut her out of their services.

But the current state of the world for AC is they aren't burning staff time chasing money they may never get, at the risk of not having a customer who doesn't want to pay a regular fare, anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm guessing AC was betting that she'd see the $18k demand, and decide that to disappear quietly; after all, there are other airlines out there, and who has time for pointless legal battles when no actual losses have been incurred? But, for whatever reason, Ms Qian decided to hit back.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:53 am

I can give her the benefit of the doubt considering (1) how normal it is to make purchases via WeChat in China, (2) how normal it is to see different prices for tickets and how confusing the fare class system can be to infrequent flyers, and (3) the fact the allegation against her hasn't been tested in court.

On my Facebook feed these days I am frequently targetted with Korean ads (was recently over there) offerring half-price J and F tickets from a third-party site. I can wager a guess it's either a points broker or stolen tickets, but I can certainly envision my mom (a non-traveler) or friends falling for it thinking it was a normal travel agent "beating" online prices. I mean... I've paid $1000 for YVR-TPE one-way in AC J, is what she paid for YYZ-PVG so low a reasonable person (not a frequent traveler) must have known better?

I think these airline bans set a really bad precedent. Access to air travel is essential in today's age. Yes, the YYZ-PVG route is served by other airlines, but there are routes and Canadian communities that are only served by AC. Airlines should be able to swiftly and promptly refuse service for aviation and passenger or staff security reasons, but that process should have a clear and independent appeals process (courts are $$$) to test whether it was reasonable. Today AC bans a lady who profited from fraudulent reservation she may or may not have known about, tomorrow AC gets to ban a guy erroneously alleging he stole some kit kats and he suddenly can't travel out of his remote community anymore unless he coughs up enough money for lawyers? IMO monetary disputes should be AC's responsibility to take to court, without unilateral airline bans; security concerns should be easily ban-able but with consumer friendly appeals system. We have access to basic banking because banking is essential in today's world; I am baffled we don't have comparable protection to ensure access to air travel.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Air Canada doesn't really need this one customers business. Suing her, even in small claims court, is going to take a corporate lawyer, or at least a corporate suit, who cost real money... And drag out the story. I guess swallowing the loss and letting her fly (with legit tickets) was possible, and AC bad press is always a risk, and I'm sure (HA!) they factored that in when they shut her out of their services.

But the current state of the world for AC is they aren't burning staff time chasing money they may never get, at the risk of not having a customer who doesn't want to pay a regular fare, anyway.
The problem is Air Canada's attitude to this. Someone is selling AC tickets on this weird social media site purchased with stolen credit cards. If AC loss prevention people were interested in fixing the problem they would want to go after the seller. This passenger can help achieve that goal. Instead of doing something productive in addressing the route cause they are focused on creating bad press for themselves.

As for going to the police. Good luck with that. Over the last couple of years I see a couple of request for quotes and PO that have come to the company I work at where they were clearly fraudulent. They wanted to buy product on 30 day terms have it shipped to a freight forwarding company and when you called up the buyer using the companies real contact info instead of what was on the PO you discovered it was not real. We tried going to the police, since we have phone numbers and contact details and all of that for them to follow up. Your forwarded to an RCMP number that is so overloaded you can't get anywhere. Called the local MP, he was more interested in explaining how this is the fault of the party in power, not overly interested in oscillating anything. So the police are not that helpful.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewisc

It does sound fishy. It took Air Canada a year to discover a ticket was paid for with a stolen credit card.
No. It took that time for AC to be able to locate the person, and figure she was a repeat offender. Surely they figured the cards had been stolen when the charge was reversed.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunzi

Without further information, I am not going to just assign guilt to her.
She might not have figured it out, but *she* paid for a ticket using a stolen CC number. So legally it's all her fault. Regardless of innocence, stupidity or wishful thinking, AC is very right in going after her. Look at this if the situation would happen with your credit card...
Bohemian1 and 5mm like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The problem is Air Canada's attitude to this. Someone is selling AC tickets on this weird social media site purchased with stolen credit cards. If AC loss prevention people were interested in fixing the problem they would want to go after the seller. This passenger can help achieve that goal. Instead of doing something productive in addressing the route cause they are focused on creating bad press for themselves.
Surely AC is trying, but that's not so easy if the credit card is legitimate and it is used fraudulently for the first time. They have the data for the CC holder, and the name and passport infor for the ticket holder. But how do you find Mr. McCool? Who may be in Romania or Belarus, Nigeria or more likely China?
5mm likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If AC loss prevention people were interested in fixing the problem they would want to go after the seller. This passenger can help achieve that goal.
Your missing my point. I'm suggesting that from AC's perspective they are helping to fix the problem; users of the grey market are the problem. If an individual customer is lost in publicizing the evils of the grey market, so be it. (Alternatively: there is no logic, compassion, or strategic thinking: they are out $18k and want it, sorry-not-sorry random individual)

If the grey market is necessary in places that are not "the west" and working to destroy it is an invalid strategy from AC, well , that is a different and legitimate discussion to have.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:27 am

As for going to the police. Good luck with that. Over the last couple of years I see a couple of request for quotes and PO that have come to the company I work at where they were clearly fraudulent. They wanted to buy product on 30 day terms have it shipped to a freight forwarding company and when you called up the buyer using the companies real contact info instead of what was on the PO you discovered it was not real. We tried going to the police, since we have phone numbers and contact details and all of that for them to follow up. Your forwarded to an RCMP number that is so overloaded you can't get anywhere. Called the local MP, he was more interested in explaining how this is the fault of the party in power, not overly interested in oscillating anything. So the police are not that helpful.
Would you not forward the fake order to the real company and say "Hey, we received this fake PO from someone claiming to be you... you might want to investigate"... If for nothing else, this would be considered a reputational risk and financial risk... Not something you'd want spreading out in the business community. They'd have a good reason to investigate and go after the perpetrator.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely AC is trying, but that's not so easy if the credit card is legitimate and it is used fraudulently for the first time. They have the data for the CC holder, and the name and passport infor for the ticket holder. But how do you find Mr. McCool? Who may be in Romania or Belarus, Nigeria or more likely China?
If they have an official account at Wechat, they can at least do SOME investigation. There would be a validated cell phone number for the account as well as IP information. If CaptainCool was lazy, the IP would lead to a cell phone provider. Also, changing cell numbers can be tedious and painful so likely not done often. If he's been around for at least a year, then it's likely they can trace the owner of the cell phone with the co-operation of Tencent and the cell provider (and possibly an ISP). It might not pinpoint the person down to a few feet (like the TV shows do), but if the captain didn't completely cover their tracks, there should be a few ways to locate this guy.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is in the best interests of Tencent and Air Canada (or any other airline).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: air miles
I don't think Air Canada is bound by the innocent until proven guilty rule. In their eyes a ticket was purchased with a stolen credit it card, they are within their right to refuse to do business with anyone involved in the purchase until 1) they are made whole for the lost funds 2) it can be shown that one of the parties involved in the purchase was an innocent victim of fraud.

Certainly no one has charged her criminally with fraud, just refused service.
yscleo and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
She might not have figured it out, but *she* paid for a ticket using a stolen CC number. So legally it's all her fault. Regardless of innocence, stupidity or wishful thinking, AC is very right in going after her. Look at this if the situation would happen with your credit card...
​​​​​​
Incorrect, she paid the fraudster who bought the ticket with a stolen CC which she wouldn't have known from the current facts. Whether it is legally her fault, you do not know that for sure. The courts will decide that.

Finally, if the situation happened with my credit card, I would want the police and AC to go after the fraudster not this lady. How would going after her prevent this from happening again? They will just go scam some other unsuspecting person.
frogster and jc94 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
It might not be easy to know if the CC stolen if used fraudulently for the first time but she used the services 3 times over 18 months. Even if a different stolen CC was used each time, the name on the ticket is the same for all 3 trips. After the first trip, AC finds out a stolen CC is used. You would think AC fraud detection would flag it the next time she was issued a ticket given that CC name not the same as passenger but it wasn't. Then, she was still able to take a third trip. Instead of wasting lawyer resources and money going after her, IMHO, it is better to spend money and resources on beefing up your anti fraud detection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.