Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC imposes 'no fly' ban, demands $18K from woman after ticket scam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Come on now. I really hope your posting was tongue in cheek and not serious.

So called employee pricing on automobiles is a marketing gimmick well advertised on legitimate media and at dealerships. If you can't figure out the difference between that and buying "special" tickets on Wechat, then there's not much more I can say.
One other thing...(although the victim should have known). Some of the things in Wechat stores are hyper-inflated. Based on experience (and before the latest crackdown)... simple things like moisturizing cream and Tommy-branded stuff can go for multiples of times it's retail price on Wechat... the perception that it's legit here vs. fake product in China is very common.... this explains why (previously) you would see young chinese groups taking whole crates of product out of Costco (like those nail/hair gummies). A bottle here would cost $20ish... and would resell in China for $80+$10 shipping...
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Come on now. I really hope your posting was tongue in cheek and not serious.

So called employee pricing on automobiles is a marketing gimmick well advertised on legitimate media and at dealerships. If you can't figure out the difference between that and buying "special" tickets on Wechat, then there's not much more I can say.
Somewhat tongue in cheek but at the same time we're dealing with someone from China and to them something promoted on We Chat may seem as legitimate as something on TV in Canada.

This isn't black and white - particularly for flights to Asia there are lots of consolidator fares out there priced well below what the AC web site might offer. It's not necessarily trivial to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Also no shortage of FT people who will happily book "mistake" fares knowing far better than this lady that the fare wasn't what the airline intended. Perhaps they should be thrown in jail.
leoo, miklcct and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:59 am
m44

Programs: USAir
I think the ban will stand up. They are a private business and have that right.

I don't see it much different than a store banning a suspected shoplifter or similar.

As for the excuse I was just buying on line..come on, really?
They are a private business but they are not free to do what they please. They cannot ban anybody just because they fabricated an accusation. This is what we have courts for. They are a public transportation company and they are owned by the public (shareholders are public).
Trading in "employee tickets" is not buyer's offence. AC has problem with the "employee ticket" seller. They have no right to do anything to the buyer. It looks as if the airlines in general detest regulations, but they do love to impose regulations on customers. So, the 'We The People' regulations have been eliminated and the private "regulations" were imposed with the vengeance. What a difference. The result is obvious: less competition, higher prices, passengers have teeth kicked out (literały), personnel wages went down, seats became smaller while the avg customer grew bigger, frequent flyer program are devalued - but airline executive become billionaires.
Yes there is no difference between the shop lifter and highway robbery by the unregulated airlines.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:06 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by The Lev
Also no shortage of FT people who will happily book "mistake" fares knowing far better than this lady that the fare wasn't what the airline intended.
Yeah, some of us may do that but it is effectively informed consent. As reasonable people, we understand that the booking could be denied, just like hidden city and potential cabotage bookings.

And if you recall, one European carrier just went after someone quite publicly for the hidden city ploy. Probably just to scare off some of the more risk averse. Just like AC may be doing here.

Perhaps they should be thrown in jail.
I know you are just joking, but the person in question is not at risk of going to jail. She just won't be allowed back into that particular 'store' until they settle their civil issues.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by robsaw
Not an unreasonable opinion BUT I think the case is more akin to unknowingly depositing a bad cheque, spending the money, the bank reversing the deposit and the depositor having to make good on the bad cheque. The bank is within its rights to do exactly that and the depositor's action is against the person issuing the bad cheque. Similar here, AC is right to claim against the person passing the bad ticket - that person then has to go after the entity that provided them that bad ticket. Might seem unfair but I do believe legally AC's action is proper - may not be good PR though; and similarly for banks, they MAY take the loss for bad cheques in certain circumstances.
Not exactly similar. When depositing a check, the funds are usually are hold and won't have access to the entirety of the funds until it clears especially if check is for a large amount.

Thus, whether AC's act to go after this person is legal or not, I do not know because I am not a lawyer. However, I think it is dumb because the lawyer fees they waste is more than the $18k they are often. Also, I am interested if they go after every case like this or is it a case by case basis.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also no shortage of FT people who will happily book "mistake" fares knowing far better than this lady that the fare wasn't what the airline intended. Perhaps they should be thrown in jail.
This was my thought reading this thread. She's wrong, whether knowingly or not, but the implication that a "kettle" cheating an airline is beyond the pale being made on a site built on flyers sharing ways to game the system and frankly congratulating one another when they succeed doing things which the airlines certainly consider stretching - if not breaking - the spirit, even the word, of their FF agreements, just reads wrong to me.
As I said, what she did was wrong. But harsh criticism from this crowd is unseemly. Imo.
Guava, The Lev, Twickenham and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: air miles
So i walk into a bar and buddy approaches me and says he has "employee discounts" at the bar and that i should put my drinks on his tab and pay him the discounted price. Cool! We set up a tab with the bartender and i drink away. Unknown to me buddy had a fraudulent CC and all my drinks we not paid for and buddy has my cash. Bartender is pissed off and want the tab paid. He is certainly in his rights to refuse doing business with me and possibly could chase me for the tab. After all in the bartender's mind he doesn't know if I am an accomplice to buddy's fraud or just a victim, no matter what i might argue.
nsx, Exec_Plat, yscleo and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This isn't the very first time this sort of thing has happened regarding AC.
I wonder what happened in previous instances where something similar occurred with AC?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by Stranger
Employee tickets are meant for employees. Surely she knew she did not qualify. Plus, if it's good to be true, it generally is. Reminds me of the Madoff scheme, surely the bulk of the victims, who by and large were not naive, believed he did so well because he was able to get away with inside trading. Typical case of someone who thought she was smarter than the system, got away with it for a while, and eventually got caught.
Did you ever have a plane ticket fraudulently charged to your credit card? Most of the times, the charge is flagged as fraudulent after the passenger has already flown. So, not so easy to detect fraudsters. Plus, if you go back some discussions in this forum, the consensus was at least until recently that AC is overly heavy-handed with potential fraudsters. Can't have it both ways.

You are making assumptions that the article didnot answer. First, as others have mentioned 'employee' tickets aren't always for employees. Second, who knows but maybe she did ask this WeChat fraudster that is it okay for her to purchase these 'employee' tickets and whether they were an employee. Thus, I would hesitate to conclude that she knew. She is gullible but not an accessory to fraud unless more facts come out.

Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:35 am

As other people have said, there is a very large majority of people who don't know the the terms and restrictions applied to employee pricing that people on FT know it as, and are not expected to. The huge twitter blow up about wearing leggings on the United flight when travelling on the "pass travelers" benefit is indicative of this.

And for those who question some of the too good to be true deals, I would like to re-direct you to the premium fare deals sub-section. Sure, there is a certain level of understanding to be expected on how large the discount could get to before it becomes unbelievable, but you can't really fault the logic of the traveler if 1) tickets were bought through the previously mentioned employee discount, and 2) it worked not once but three times over an 18 month period.

Edit: Anyway back to the real reason for the story, that being using stolen credit cards to buy air tickets. Does the sales terms and Canadian law consider the buyer and traveler both contractually obligated and binding to money owed on the ticket sale, since those two can be two separate entities? If not, I doubt AC can force the traveler to pay the costs through court as AC is primarily selling an obligation to Buyer ABC to transport Passenger XYZ, and therefore can only go after Buyer ABC for the loss, and at most cancel the existing ticket for Passenger XYZ instead of banning them. Imagine if some irresponsible parent used a fraudulent card to buy a ticket for an Unaccompanied Minor, I just can't see how AC is going to force the kid to pay for the fare difference.
rickg523, leoo and sunzi like this.

Last edited by MT_Switch; Jun 4, 2019 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:39 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Car dealerships offer "employee pricing" all the time. Its obvious to me that an employee ticket is free and non-transferable, but I don't think that is obvious to the general population.

I wonder if perhaps a cultural thing. Is it normal to haggle for big ticket commercially produced items/services down to 50% of the cost in Asia? I don't know. Sure, haggle in the market, but the price of a corporate supplied thing is the price, no?

It wasn't "buying online", it was "digging into a chatroom and soliciting deals". If those deals were scammy or impossible or normal, to her, depends on a cultural perspective I don't have.
You do know car dealerships offer "employee pricing" is just a sales pitch. Employee actual get better prices.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 5mm
You do know car dealerships offer "employee pricing" is just a sales pitch. Employee actual get better prices.
IDK, and IDC. But doesn't change my unstated point: "Employee Pricing" isn't an unusual turn of phrase, if not actually that great.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by m44
They are a private business but they are not free to do what they please. They cannot ban anybody just because they fabricated an accusation. This is what we have courts for. They are a public transportation company and they are owned by the public (shareholders are public).
Yes they can ban someone. Many airlines ban people for all kinds of reasons.

You think a publicly traded department store cannot ban certain patrons?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I can't imagine that AC has a leg to stand on here, but they have got the message across.
They cannot collect but can prevail on No Fly AC ban.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:48 am

From the article.........
.... flying three times with Air Canada over almost a year and a half without an issue.
Qian says she paid "CaptainCooll" $5,800 for the flights, which included "deals" on business class seats.

Do we know how many of these flights were in Business Class?
Or the ratio of flights to YVR/PVG?
$5800 for three round trips with a couple segments in J isn't unreasonable.From the article.........
.....for a pre-booked fifth flight to Shanghai — another $3,600.

Current pricing for September is less than $4100. How would this kettle know that $3600 for J is unreasonable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.