Wiki Posts
Search

bags behind knees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
bags behind knees

Looking for input here, I was on AC 416 today and the person in the middle seat was zone 5, obviously no room in overhead for Rollaboard so she shoved it under seat in front, she then put her backpack behind her knees,.
2 Flight attendants glanced in seats at take off and neither noticed the bag. Should I say something to them or not? I'm not looking for a confrontation just to safely get from A to B
(Note last time this happened was a few years ago at LGA i pointed out that the guy in the middle had a bag under his knees but I was in the window that time,the gentleman offender called me a B*^ch after the attendant made him stow his bag in the overhead, making me feel extremely threatened and the attendant actually pointed out he was wrong and if he couldn't calm down he would be off boarded)
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If someone reacted that way to me making a safety-related inquiry, I'd be tempted to have the crew offload one of us.

That being said, I once had a very aggressive man in the aisle (I was stuck in the window due to being a last minute cleared standby) telling me I could not have my phone out during take off. I was playing an offline game, in airplane mode. He was absolutely adamant that it was NOT permitted.

I managed to convince him otherwise, but it was an unpleasant interaction. I was tired and just wanted to play my game.

If you want to say something like "hey, I don't think you can have your bag there", it's fine. But then what are you going to do if they ignore you? Call the FA?

Unless the person is legitimately unaware of the safety regulations, this just seems like a no-win situation.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I admire and respect your concern for safety after all Air Canada proudly states that safety is their number one priority. However, because we live in our current society, I would measure the degree of raising a safety concern versus the potential consequence of such a move. A couple of weeks ago I posted that the F/A sat two non-English speaking passengers beside me in 18EF. They actually helped the 80-pound woman to her seat and I passed the elderly woman's walker to the F/A to place in the overhead bin. IF THIS DOES NOT SET OFF ALARMS BELLS?????

I made the decision not to say anything as on the other side of me, appeared to be three folks who can easily open the emergency window for me to get out after helping others first. The two beside me were small enough that I could simply pick each of them up with one hand and toss them out of the window.

We observe safety or appear to be safety issues all the time. I guess the issue is what potential consequences do we want to endure?
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
When you appoint yourself hall monitor and start ratting out fellow passengers for insignificant infractions of the rules be prepared that some of the targets of your disapproval may be uncivil in their response. Consider the odds. The chances of that bag actually endangering you are infinitesimal. The chances of an unpleasant confrontation with another passenger are far, far higher. Unless it's a clear and present danger, mind your own business.
LondonElite likes this.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jun 4, 2019 at 4:46 am
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I'd echo others: unless you see something that is a clear and present danger (e.g. hey look, a passenger is trying to open cabin door ... there is fluid pouring out of an engine ... you get the idea) then I would not get involved in enforcing the rules on board. As @canadiancow points out you may not know the rules entirely (rules on devices, headphones, etc. are changing a lot and differ between airlines) and as @Badenoch points out the downside more than offsets the upside in my opinion.

I was on a flight 2 weeks ago where the FA asked the passenger across the isle from me to put away his laptop and fold up his tray table before we took off. He complied, waited until she went and sat down, and then pulled it out again and sat it on the tray for takeoff. Some people just don't care, but I'm not going to get involved in enforcing the airlines rules unless I think my personal safety is at risk.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a safety issue.

The rule is there for a reason. It is your safety (along with the offender, other passengers, and the crew) which is at stake..

It's entirely appropriate to address the issue to a FA privately by getting up if need be.

I would hope that AC would offload any passenger who attacked, even verbally, another passenger with foul language, no matter the reason.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I’ve been on two flights lately (transborder) where this came up. In one instance a row guy on the other side of the aisle had two carryons in front of his feet. No attempt to stow them and flight was not full. FA looked at him and kept right on going. Nothing at all was said. Fortunately, the take offs and landings were fine but I wouldn’t like to see these bags moving around in a different scenario.

Pretty sure I posted a couple of years ago about an Aimia executive that I had the misfortune to sit next to. When I wouldn’t concede to her demands to shift seats, she proceeded to work away on her laptop during take off and landing — that is when she wasn’t busy being prickly. Great advertisement for the company.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:19 am

Frankly speaking, an improperly stowed bag or improperly seated person in an emergency exit presents a safety hazard. As we all know, seconds count in an evacuation, and if something or someone is going to get in the way of me and all of the other passengers trying to get out fast, then for sure I would pipe up and say something to the cabin crew!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I've certainly told people (nicely) on numerous flights (as when I do FOTSG I fly exit rows) that they'll need to put it up. Most of them ignored me, then the FA came along and told them. I think I've given up more recently.
As I tend to sit in the aisle, not a safety thing for me normally but not sure I'd be willing to speak up from my seat when it's about someone I'll be sitting next to for the next n hours.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I've certainly told people (nicely) on numerous flights (as when I do FOTSG I fly exit rows) that they'll need to put it up. Most of them ignored me, then the FA came along and told them. I think I've given up more recently.
As I tend to sit in the aisle, not a safety thing for me normally but not sure I'd be willing to speak up from my seat when it's about someone I'll be sitting next to for the next n hours.
i have told people can’t do only to have the FA say was just fine. So have stopped
canadiancow and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94
When you take it upon yourself to start reproaching complete strangers for not following the "rules" you run the risk of being ignored or curtly/profanely told to mind your own business. If it is all that important to you take it up with the FA. They are the ones with the authority not you.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I promise that if a fellow passenger reacts with aggression or profanity in response to an effort on my part to be helpful, the FA will have to deal with more than just an improperly stowed bag.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
I promise that if a fellow passenger reacts with aggression or profanity in response to an effort on my part to be helpful, the FA will have to deal with more than just an improperly stowed bag.
You initiated the confrontation by playing hall monitor and if you seriously think whining to an FA that "the big nasty man used a bad word" is sufficient to get him tossed off the flight you might have another thing coming. If you have a legitimate concern then report it to the cabin crew who can deal with it if they agree with your opinion.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Badenoch
When you take it upon yourself to start reproaching complete strangers for not following the "rules" you run the risk of being ignored or curtly/profanely told to mind your own business. If it is all that important to you take it up with the FA. They are the ones with the authority not you.
Hence why I said nicely. Something along the lines of would you like me to put that up top for you / you’ll need to stow it for take off / landing...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Once or twice I just made eye contact with the FA and kind of looked at the bag in question...FA immediately picked up on it and advised passenger to store item properly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.