Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Km814
After many friends have told us we’re crazy
You have smart friends. Do not count on making this connection.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Lately due to MAX fleet constraints, AC's YYZ-YVR flights were all severely overbooked with pages of people on standby. If OP is not flying in J cabin, *ANY* slight delay in the DC flight leaving, landing at YYZ, or landing on time but finding an occupied gate would wreak havok on their plans as AC's computers may automatically offload anyone who has broken MCT.

If there are checked bags the situation is even more dismal.

OP lists a $900 more expensive price to fly the day before but I suspect it would have been much less of a difference when initially booked.

The only time could possibly make sense to fly on the same day as a cruise is if you bought both items from the same travel agency,and they include cruise insurance where they transport you on last minute flights to meet the ship at it first port of call.

//of course the last and only "cruise" I've been on is the Toronto to YTZ ferry.. and when I miss it, my backup plan of running underground has not failed me yet.
etkuo likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
With NEXUS, OSS does not apply, and one would have to re-clear security at YYZ. Don't bet on this working!
I've only tried OSS once and it was a clusterf*, since then I've always just re-cleared with NEXUS.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
I've only tried OSS once and it was a clusterf*, since then I've always just re-cleared with NEXUS.
Ahh. I have tried it 2 times w/ flights arriving from the States. When I did it, flights from Europe were not included yet, and the lines were not busy since it was early morning? I have since gotten NEXUS; for some reason the iris scanner would not work one time at YUL (only entered using NEXUS 2 times since obtaining it), and I ended up clearing through the diplomatic line.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by expert7700
Lately due to MAX fleet constraints, AC's YYZ-YVR flights were all severely overbooked with pages of people on standby.
One of the flights a few weeks ago had 84 people on standby. I certainly wouldn't rely on being able to get a later flight if you miss the connection.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It sounds like you are in a tough position between making a risky connection and incurring a huge fee to change.

There is another recent thread from from someone who had a similar issue at LHR and was very poorly advised by their travel agent.

I would risk the connection rather than incur $3,600 to change flights. As others have advised, make damn sure you have travel insurance and that it covers you adequately.

The other advice I have is to manage things proactively on the day of travel. Check where the aircraft is coming from and call AC or deal with their people at IAD if you see that a delay is likely. It will be easier for them to reaccommodate you on another YYZ-YVR flight (or via somewhere else) if you contact them as soon as a delay is posted (or anticipated) instead of having to join the customer service line at YYZ after you’ve actually missed your connection.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The only time could possibly make sense to fly on the same day as a cruise is if you bought both items from the same travel agency,and they include cruise insurance where they transport you on last minute flights to meet the ship at it first port of call.
In this case, travel insurance won't help them catch up to the cruise if they do miss it. As stated above, if they miss the ship in Vancouver, they won't be able to catch up to the ship in any of the Alaskan ports due to the PVSA.
Twickenham likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm sure @Km814 gets the idea now.
arf04, ffsim, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
If you were alone with Nexus I'd still give you a 20% chance. There is virtually no way you'd make it with AC's OTP, like others said just buy the OMW.
Alone and with NEXUS, I can't remember the last time I didn't make a 70 minute connection in YYZ. Probably 75 flights ago.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm sure @Km814 gets the idea now.
LOL, yeah.
YYZ-YVR flights recently has no/few free seats due to the 737Max grounding.
On my way is the cheapest option for OP as there are many more options specially from his original destination.
Everything else relies on luck or exhorbitant cost.
80% chance of the OP getting there on time but would you bet your entire vacation on it ?
Twickenham likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by arf04
I’ve been through the transit immigration/customs route three times this year and there was no wait at all to see an agent. We had to wait longer for the bus to leave to take us to the domestic gates than to deal with immigration. There are no NEXUS machines there, so some people get delayed as they haven’t filled out the declaration form and have to do that first.
That's great, I've been through there 4 times this month, I've lost track of how many times this year.

Sometimes you walk right up to an agent, or maybe wait 2-3 minutes. Other times the line is a gigantic cluster &^%$ and I go downstairs, clear with NEXUS and then re-clear security because it is going to be faster.

Either way this is a family trying to make a tight connection with small children. Most of the people in this thread minimizing a 70 minute connection clearly have never attempted this with small children in tow. Do you want to bet a cruise that customs is not going to be a cluster when they land? Because I wouldn't.
Twickenham and wrp96 like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:41 pm

OP: Can you tell us which flight you are on inbound to Toronto and the day of the week? I only see a 93-minute connection from AC7609 from DCA with the pdf timetable (which is often wrong). That 23 extra minutes can make a huge difference.

You have a few things working in your favour. You are arriving in Toronto after all the early morning international flights get in and before any of the European flights arrive, so customs should not have a long lineup. Delays often accumulate throughout the day leading to later planes in the afternoon, but your flight out of DC will be the first one of the day. Weather in June is also less likely to be a problem first thing in the morning.

The transfer at YYZ is exactly as described by RatherBeInYOW above -- no security; NEXUS won't help you. But I can generally go a bit faster and walk from gate to gate in about 25 minutes.

You can probably make it, but the consequences of missing the connection are missing your cruise. If you decide to go for it, sit as close to the front as you can on the flight to YYZ (pay for the seat selection ... it's cheap compared to what you've already paid for your flights and cruise), make sure you know where you are going in YYZ before you land, and don't dawdle. Hopefully you don't have a stroller as then you'll have to wait at the plane when you arrive in YYZ until they unload it.
Old May 31, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@Km814

As per @StuMcIlwain and others above, please provide your date and flight info so we can better help you.
Thanks.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
That's great, I've been through there 4 times this month, I've lost track of how many times this year.

Sometimes you walk right up to an agent, or maybe wait 2-3 minutes. Other times the line is a gigantic cluster &^%$ and I go downstairs, clear with NEXUS and then re-clear security because it is going to be faster.

Either way this is a family trying to make a tight connection with small children. Most of the people in this thread minimizing a 70 minute connection clearly have never attempted this with small children in tow. Do you want to bet a cruise that customs is not going to be a cluster when they land? Because I wouldn't.

I’m sure I’m doomed to hit a huge lineup next time...

I sure would not want to risk a same day flight to a cruise either, but wouldn’t be paying out the $3600 to change my tickets either (mind you, I wouldn’t book anything like the OP has done anyhow, except if I was willing to miss my connection and had alternate plans for what to do if I did). Managing risk with OMY and/or SDC still looks like a good idea to me.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jc94
I recommend at least a day early for a cruise if not two. Especially in winter, which for Air Canada is October thru April.
There are no cruises in winter from Vancouver. Two days leeway is excessive by a day and a half.

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
  • 70 minutes really means 55 minutes since you need to be at the gate 15 minutes before the flight closes..
70 minutes really means 70 minutes. MCTs factor in the gate cutoff times.

Originally Posted by arf04
In the case of a delay (which should be known by tracking the inbound from Toronto)
Tracking the inbound fin gives a passenger advance notice of merely a single possible reason for a delay. There are dozens of variables that can delay a fight after the previous leg has landed and the plane sits at the gate.

Lately due to MAX fleet constraints, AC's YYZ-YVR flights were all severely overbooked with pages of people on standby.
Some perhaps, but not all. This week, many Toronto flights arrived in YVR with under 90% load factors. Busy, yes, but not full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.