Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC - Ranks 8th in most attractive place students want to work

Old May 29, 19, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mos...nies-1.5148413

“These are the companies where Canadian students most want to work”

“Most attractive employers in Canada”

Listed ranked 8 under Business.
Amusing I thought.
Old May 29, 19, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Given the other 6 names I read in the list, I'm shocked. I assumed for AC to be 8th, they had to be only counting Canadian companies.

I find it hard to believe that Google and Apple are on the list, but Facebook isn't.
Old May 29, 19, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Given the other 6 names I read in the list, I'm shocked. I assumed for AC to be 8th, they had to be only counting Canadian companies.

I find it hard to believe that Google and Apple are on the list, but Facebook isn't.
If you look at the list in the past few years, the main players have been relatively consistent, including Google and Apple. FB is at least one of the lists, IIRC. Just did a quick skim.
Considering AC has been placed on a kazillion top 10/50/100/whatever Employers lists, I'm not too surprised by this latest list, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old May 29, 19, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = clever
Old May 30, 19, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
It's not surprising at all that an easy corporate job with flight benefits would be attractive for many people.
I'd die of boredom working for AC, unless it was "revenue integrity", which I think I'd enjoy. They're more likely to put out a hit on me after reading my earlier posting history, though.
Old May 30, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You must be getting old. People under 30 don't use Facebook anymore. And CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.

Or do you think that recent grads also should/do dislike Google & Apple? They may have less bad press, but are harder to personally ignore.
Old May 30, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AC E35K/*S, DL WM
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.
Exactly this. Facebook's offer acceptance rates have nosedived since the whole Cambridge Analytica thing blew up.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/face...a-scandal.html
RangerNS likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
You must be getting old. People under 30 don't use Facebook anymore. And CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.

Or do you think that recent grads also should/do dislike Google & Apple? They may have less bad press, but are harder to personally ignore.
Some people under 30 use it, from what I've heard (including from people in their 20s teaching at high schools) the cut off is more around aged 25 rather than 30.
And then there are those or us who have an account ... but don't use it aside from the occasional looking at something. I had quite literally over 100 pending requests going back for years that I've ignored.

Either way, I think FB is still seen as a good place along with Google and others to get on your resume and they have some good benefits here in Toronto from what I've heard; but the only person I know who applied got through 7 stages of interviews before being told no. And that, to me, is just insane.

The interesting thing is that AC sits under 'business'. I do wonder if the people answering the survey were looking at jobs within AC customer battering, AC flight safety officers, AC pilots or other areas of the business.
Old May 30, 19, 3:17 pm

Recently dealt with a guy through work, chit chatted after our meeting at a pub and he mentioned "I used to work at Facebook but I am not proud of it."

Apparently it just isn't a "cool" place to work anymore.
jc94 likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quantumofforce View Post
Recently dealt with a guy through work, chit chatted after our meeting at a pub and he mentioned "I used to work at Facebook but I am not proud of it."

Apparently it just isn't a "cool" place to work anymore.
Interesting to know. This may be due to all the bad press FB has had of late too though
Old May 30, 19, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

As nobody seems intent on discussing AC in this thread it's time for some closure.

tcook052
AC forum moderator

Search this Thread