FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC - Ranks 8th in most attractive place students want to work (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1971859-ac-ranks-8th-most-attractive-place-students-want-work.html)

jc94 May 29, 2019 4:47 pm

AC - Ranks 8th in most attractive place students want to work

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mos...nies-1.5148413

“These are the companies where Canadian students most want to work”

“Most attractive employers in Canada”

Listed ranked 8 under Business.
Amusing I thought.

canadiancow May 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Given the other 6 names I read in the list, I'm shocked. I assumed for AC to be 8th, they had to be only counting Canadian companies.

I find it hard to believe that Google and Apple are on the list, but Facebook isn't.

yyznomad May 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31151311)
Given the other 6 names I read in the list, I'm shocked. I assumed for AC to be 8th, they had to be only counting Canadian companies.

I find it hard to believe that Google and Apple are on the list, but Facebook isn't.

If you look at the list in the past few years, the main players have been relatively consistent, including Google and Apple. FB is at least one of the lists, IIRC. Just did a quick skim.
Considering AC has been placed on a kazillion top 10/50/100/whatever Employers lists, I'm not too surprised by this latest list, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:)

acysb87 May 29, 2019 5:28 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ = clever:)

Santander May 29, 2019 11:08 pm

It's not surprising at all that an easy corporate job with flight benefits would be attractive for many people.
I'd die of boredom working for AC, unless it was "revenue integrity", which I think I'd enjoy. :D They're more likely to put out a hit on me after reading my earlier posting history, though.

RangerNS May 30, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31151311)

You must be getting old. People under 30 don't use Facebook anymore. And CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.

Or do you think that recent grads also should/do dislike Google & Apple? They may have less bad press, but are harder to personally ignore.

shadowspar May 30, 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31153242)
CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.

Exactly this. Facebook's offer acceptance rates have nosedived since the whole Cambridge Analytica thing blew up.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/16/face...a-scandal.html

jc94 May 30, 2019 9:26 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31153242)
You must be getting old. People under 30 don't use Facebook anymore. And CS types, at least, are well aware of FB being a cesspool of fake news and spying on users.

Or do you think that recent grads also should/do dislike Google & Apple? They may have less bad press, but are harder to personally ignore.

Some people under 30 use it, from what I've heard (including from people in their 20s teaching at high schools) the cut off is more around aged 25 rather than 30.
And then there are those or us who have an account ... but don't use it aside from the occasional looking at something. I had quite literally over 100 pending requests going back for years that I've ignored.

Either way, I think FB is still seen as a good place along with Google and others to get on your resume and they have some good benefits here in Toronto from what I've heard; but the only person I know who applied got through 7 stages of interviews before being told no. And that, to me, is just insane.

The interesting thing is that AC sits under 'business'. I do wonder if the people answering the survey were looking at jobs within AC customer battering, AC flight safety officers, AC pilots or other areas of the business.

quantumofforce May 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Recently dealt with a guy through work, chit chatted after our meeting at a pub and he mentioned "I used to work at Facebook but I am not proud of it."

Apparently it just isn't a "cool" place to work anymore.

jc94 May 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 31154564)
Recently dealt with a guy through work, chit chatted after our meeting at a pub and he mentioned "I used to work at Facebook but I am not proud of it."

Apparently it just isn't a "cool" place to work anymore.

Interesting to know. This may be due to all the bad press FB has had of late too though ;)

tcook052 May 30, 2019 3:53 pm

As nobody seems intent on discussing AC in this thread it's time for some closure.

tcook052
AC forum moderator