FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Does anyone have recent experience of signing up someone for a AE account/number? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1971846-does-anyone-have-recent-experience-signing-up-someone-ae-account-number.html)

jc94 May 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Does anyone have recent experience of signing up someone for a AE account/number?

Does anyone have recent experience of signing up someone for a AE account/number?

If we do it say one evening, can we also apply for the TD card with the number available the same evening? Or is there some sort of waiting period while AE gets themselves in gear.
And yes, this is all assuming AE website is actually working and operational and not down for scheduled maintenance :)

Thanks!

canadiancow May 29, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm pretty sure you can sign up for the credit card and they will generate an Aeroplan account for you if you don't already have one.

jc94 May 29, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 31150874)
I'm pretty sure you can sign up for the credit card and they will generate an Aeroplan account for you if you don't already have one.

Hmmm, okay. The card asking me if I had an account so I just clicked yes. Maybe it would have generated one?

I have to say the TD website seems to think it's AC/AE. I got a 100% success message with no indication of my own status. So I used the chat and was told to call them (with the wrong number). I called them and have been told I have to go into a branch.

beep88 May 30, 2019 11:45 am

You can always ask them to merge the numbers after you applied. Amswer"no" to TD and they generate one. Hell I answered yes and they still generated a new number for me and I had to call.

I would imagine if you sign up for AE and immediately go to TD to sign up online, TD will NOT be able to link that brand new number. An overnight batch process would be more likely.

yyznomad May 30, 2019 3:33 pm

I would suspect that this would be similar to signing up at an airport for an Aeroplan CIBC Aerogold Visa (or whatever the product is called) or any other AP affinity cc/account/product... you sign up for your new AP number at the same time.

TechnoTourist May 31, 2019 2:28 pm

When you call in to activate the TD Aeroplan card they will confirm the AE number to use. Mine was already correct but I assume you could change it at this time if required.

jc94 Jun 1, 2019 5:48 pm

Okay great, thanks all!

jc94 Jun 11, 2019 6:19 am

Oh the irony ... trying to sign up now the card finally arrived and get "This Web Service is currently not available. Service will be restored shortly so please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience." on the 2nd page after I enter all my details.

jc94 Jun 11, 2019 1:24 pm

Okay for those wondering, after finally getting myself setup, which required my 3rd visit to a TD branch as apparently their web systems are just as poor at AE ... I got the following back from customer care:

Upon review of your profile, I am pleased to confirm that the current Aeroplan credit card account is connected to the following Aeroplan number: xxx xxx xxx.
So, they did apparently manage to take account of my existing number while doing the setup.

ChrisA330 Jun 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jc94 (Post 31191366)
Oh the irony ... trying to sign up now the card finally arrived and get "This Web Service is currently not available. Service will be restored shortly so please try again later. We apologize for the inconvenience." on the 2nd page after I enter all my details.

I just received a TD card, and have been trying to sign up for the last week...it's been the same error message.

My experience getting this card has been a total clusterf*ck from start to finish.

BenSenise Jun 11, 2019 1:54 pm

[QUOTE=ChrisA330;31192794
My experience getting this card has been a total clusterf*ck from start to finish.[/QUOTE]

my recent and first experience with TD has been the most painful banking experience i have suffered in my entire life. i find it unbelievable that people actually bank there.
i finally had the last straw and cut up my new aeroplan visa card. i already got the bonus and will cancel before the second year fee kicks in. no points are worth this much hassle and stupidity from a bank.

jc94 Jun 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 31192794)
I just received a TD card, and have been trying to sign up for the last week...it's been the same error message.

My experience getting this card has been a total clusterf*ck from start to finish.

You can’t. Basically. The error is nonsense and you have to call them to get an “Access Card” (7 days) or go into a branch. I asked why I had been sent a letter to register and why credit card was an option if it doesn’t work and they don’t know. Nor did they know why said error message was occurring.

Between this and other issues, like having to go to a branch to confirm it had gone through, I will be sending a generic rant at them when I get time.

Oh and not forgetting the 6 mins on hold ...not to speak to a human but to use the automated activate card feature.

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist (Post 31158127)
When you call in to activate the TD Aeroplan card they will confirm the AE number to use. Mine was already correct but I assume you could change it at this time if required.

They didn’t for me, for what it’s worth. Hence having to contact them today after confirming the web portal didn’t show it. At least not that I nor two people in the branch could see. Someone said it appears on the statement, TD help says it does not.

jc94 Jun 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 31192844)
my recent and first experience with TD has been the most painful banking experience i have suffered in my entire life. i find it unbelievable that people actually bank there.
i finally had the last straw and cut up my new aeroplan visa card. i already got the bonus and will cancel before the second year fee kicks in. no points are worth this much hassle and stupidity from a bank.

I’ll cancel next year unless they waive the $120 fee again. For a statusless peon the free bag and Zone 2 on AE tickets, plus insurance I guess, are worth keeping it around, but not at $120 given my likely amount of flying on AE points.

ChrisA330 Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise (Post 31192844)

Yup - I'm done once I get my bonus points.