Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ Transborder F84+ Gate Renovation; could it be a new MLL??

Old May 28, 19, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G

Anyone have any details or link to more info for the renovations going on gateside in the US AC CRJ (Air Georgian) gates. Looks like they're building gates capable of loading at least an A320 size aircraft. Plus a room that looks like it could be a lounge??
Old May 28, 19, 6:32 am

I asked one of the Air Canada staff. She said she had no idea. I thought these people work at the airport.

Bombardier C-Series?
jc94 likes this.
Old May 28, 19, 6:46 am

There's been a bit of a shift in the aircraft AC and its partners use for their sorties, so it would make sense to convert some of the under-utilized areas to accommodate the aircraft that are in use. CRJ's and DH1's have been leaving the fleet and their ops at YYZ are certainly down since T1 was originally constructed.
Old May 28, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: AC*A
This is what is now referred to as Pier G...dramatically scaled down from the original plan years ago. It will add 5 additional gates with boarding bridges for narrow body aircraft.
Old May 28, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Those F gates are terrible. Glad they are renovating.
Old May 28, 19, 10:03 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Those F gates are terrible. Glad they are renovating.
They have gotten much better of late. Bar, restaurant, new washrooms. Aside from the long walk to get there.

From the rumour I heard, there is supposed to be a MLL lounge going in there, too.
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Update to this post. Saw signage has gone up for a "Maple Leaf Lounge Express" (that's a first) near the entrance to the regional gates. No hours posted but looks similar to the lounge at Billy Bishop. Interesting!
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted View Post
Update to this post. Saw signage has gone up for a "Maple Leaf Lounge Express" (that's a first) near the entrance to the regional gates. No hours posted but looks similar to the lounge at Billy Bishop. Interesting!
I guess the rumour I heard was true

Given the walk, it is a great place for a coffee/snack after that long walk

ANZ does this with their regional gates in AKL and CHC
Old Jun 9, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-MM
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted View Post
Do you mean just an open waiting area with free coffee / snacks served like the YTZ lounge used to be? (YTZ now only has paid concessions / shops.)
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
can't find any info on the GTAA about it either. but its a vast improvement from the dumpy barn it was a few years ago, nevertheless, a nice MLL express area with drinks and snacks would be nice, esp as these flights are often delayed and its a long hike from the MLL.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I was told by somebody that works at the airport that many of the planes will be changed too... CRJ-900s or whatever the current model is for the NE and Midwest USA routes, to replace the ancient whatever they are regional jets that are all Y. Which I optimistically took to mean an actual J product too. Sometime this fall? It would make sense if they are trying to capture J pax for overseas routes originating in the USA. Also would make the lounge make more sense.
Old Jun 10, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
I was told by somebody that works at the airport that many of the planes will be changed too... CRJ-900s or whatever the current model is for the NE and Midwest USA routes, to replace the ancient whatever they are regional jets that are all Y. Which I optimistically took to mean an actual J product too. Sometime this fall? It would make sense if they are trying to capture J pax for overseas routes originating in the USA. Also would make the lounge make more sense.
A lot of the changes were supposed to happen for the summer, but I think given the 7M8 debacle, there have been delays.

This gives you a bit of a view of some of the changes: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...s-to-sep-2019/
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
can't find any info on the GTAA about it either. but its a vast improvement from the dumpy barn it was a few years ago, nevertheless, a nice MLL express area with drinks and snacks would be nice, esp as these flights are often delayed and its a long hike from the MLL.
If it has drinks and snacks, how is it different from the regular MLL?
Old Jun 11, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
I'm here right now.

The new lounge is not open yet ... but it looks pretty close.

The agents told me that it will have "light" service, but that it will have alcohol. Of course, the agents in the main TB lounge told me that the express lounge was already open now, so YMMV on the "will have alcohol" answer.

Here's the outside

and with that, two construction guys wheeled a cart full of supplies in, so I suck my hand in and took an inside picture
entropy, Nitehawk, ffsim and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 19, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Damn. I wonder if I'll ever have a good reason to be down that way. I don't do many short TB hops from YYZ.

Now all they need is a TB SS for SFO/LAX

Search this Thread