Complimentary Snack In J??

Old May 26, 19, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Complimentary Snack In J??

Quick question for AC veterans. Is it customary to charge a J customer for a snack from the buy-on-board menu? I was seated on a transborder flight in J and my seatmate was surprised that he was still charged the regular $4 fee for a kit kat. He thought it was petty given that he had paid for full fare J class, not given a free upgrade.
Old May 26, 19, 5:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Quick question for AC veterans. Is it customary to charge a J customer for a snack from the buy-on-board menu? I was seated on a transborder flight in J and my seatmate was surprised that he was still charged the regular $4 fee for a kit kat. He thought it was petty given that he had paid for full fare J class, not given a free upgrade.
It is not an official benefit so within reason to expect to pay for it. Would normally expect it to be comped only if they werenít able to provide suitable food from J. They donít cater the flight for everyone in J to have a free snack for Y so reasonable not to make it a free for all.
Old May 26, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I think your seat mate must be confusing UA and AC. I have often gotten a Y snack box when traveling J on UA trans border and domestic US. Perhaps they thought they were buying a UA flight.
Old May 26, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Several flight types will feature a complimentary snack basket, which does include KitKats. The KitKats in the complimentary snack basket are the regular sized bar, vs the double size from Buy-on-board. The complimentary "snack" on all other flights will be mixed nuts/almonds. The only time flying J that I was offered complimentary items from Buy-on-board has been when the flight was not catered with enough complimentary items (when applicable) or when a special meal order did not show up. Not sure if this is what you were flying (given your home location) but the typical Florida-Canada flight would not feature the complimentary snack basket
Old May 26, 19, 8:34 am
5mm
Suspended

I find Iím charged about 15% of the time ordering from the buy on board menu. If I paid full fare J, I would write in about the charge, but Iím guessing your seatmate didnít buy a full fare J ticket, but a discounted one.
Old May 26, 19, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5mm View Post

I find Iím charged about 15% of the time ordering from the buy on board menu. If I paid full fare J, I would write in about the charge, but Iím guessing your seatmate didnít buy a full fare J ticket, but a discounted one.
He said he used Aeroplan miles for his J seat. Not sure if this counts as full fare or discounted J.
Old May 26, 19, 9:45 am
5mm
Suspended

He said he used Aeroplan miles for his J seat. Not sure if this counts as full fare or discounted J.
No to both. When you pay for Full Fare J, you are using cash on a unrestricted J ticket.
Old May 26, 19, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Are Aeroplan miles classic (not market fare) used for a first class ticket considered to be full J fare or discounted??
Old May 26, 19, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Are Aeroplan miles classic (not market fare) used for a first class ticket considered to be full J fare or discounted??
Neither. They are considered to be what they are - Aeroplan mile redemptions.

(...and J isn't "first class" if we want to get technical).
Old May 26, 19, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
And how you got up front would not be visible to the cabin crew. Status is, and if it was late (ML*x). This might suggest why, but a cash-full-J $10k PAX who booked 30 minutes ago should in theory be worse off than an opUp'd 50k who they bumped up before they downgaged a flight yesterday.
Old May 26, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
This seems really odd to me to be honest. I have been traveling in upgraded seats for many years and have never been charged for anything in the J cabin. That just seems weird. If that happened to me (and it never has to this point) I would certainly write in and complain.
Old May 26, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
It's technically policy, but I still think it's worth complaining about the policy. I want my Captain Morgan.
pitz, expert7700, D582 and 3 others like this.
Old May 27, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
If in J, no matter what you paid for its free.

I love kit kats and usually ask for them when in J and never been charged. As a matter of fact, even in PY or Y I have asked for kit kat and have never paid for it.

Last month from CUN-YYC in J I stated that I love kit kats and I was given nine kit kat bars, free of charge.

I have paid more for bigger pants than paying for kit kats. Perhaps I should stop eating so much! lol
Old May 27, 19, 8:58 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
If in J, no matter what you paid for its free.
As has already been stated upthread, that's simply not true. A Kit Kat from the J snack basket is free, if you're in J, but if there's no snack basket, or you're in Y, AC policy is that you have to pay.

You've apparently had a run of good luck, but OP's seatmate's experience, and that of several others (including my own), show otherwise. I've even been told I'd have to pay when travelling on an upgraded Latitude FP with LT07 and meal picture on the BP - I was told that getting the upgrade "cancelled out" the LT07.

Enforcement of the policy may be uneven, but it does happen, so I disagree with your unqualified statement.
Old May 27, 19, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Funny how theyíll give out unlimited amounts of complimentary alcohol in J. But not a $4 KitKat.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: