Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booked AC flight with seat selection fee but cc not charged for seat selection!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G

Went through the process of booking a "standard fare" with AC, after entering personal data was asked for seat selection, this would add 2x 37€ to the fare.
When going through cc card processing noted charge did not include the 72€ seat selection.
Cancelled the booking and started over again, same result, decided to proceed anyway.
Checking the mail booking confirmation I see seat assignments.
i don't get this....
Only thing i can come up with is that i am *A gold with TK, but still shaking my head.

Expert flyer shows my seat selection.
Free or not? But not charged?
Old May 22, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tartempion

Went through the process of booking a "standard fare" with AC, after entering personal data was asked for seat selection, this would add 2x 37€ to the fare.
When going through cc card processing noted charge did not include the 72€ seat selection.
Cancelled the booking and started over again, same result, decided to proceed anyway.
Checking the mail booking confirmation I see seat assignments.
i don't get this....
Only thing i can come up with is that i am *A gold with TK, but still shaking my head.

Expert flyer shows my seat selection.
Free or not? But not charged?
Do you want to be charged?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I think I have had separate confirmation emails with seat selection fees, not on the same confirmation.
While it may be informative to see on EF, did you check AC Manage My Booking to see the seat?
If OP saw a fee before logging in with TK FF# and then logged in and selected seats, perhaps the seats selected were complimentary for *G. Not enough information provided about booking class and category of seats.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Checking my CC status I saw a reservation including both standard fare and seat selection. (Booking class K economy)
The strange thing is that my cc processing goes through an electronic authorization via my bank and a calculation was made based on the standard amount which I needed to enter...
this morning cc charge showed up in my cc account showing two items: one for standard fare and the other for seat selection. Thus seat selection is not complementary for *G’s...
It is a strange way of handling cc payments by AC, certainly when added options do not show on payment screen.
i will write a complaint to AC.

Last edited by tartempion; May 23, 2019 at 7:34 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So it charged you what it said it would, and you're going to complain?
Old May 23, 2019, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Cancow: thevpayment screen and subsequent security processing should have shown the total charge as shown on AC webpage before confirming the purchase.
To me it appeared the optional charges disappeared when paying.
From a security standpoint I authorized the standard fare, not the seat selection and AC added a second charge which I technically did not authorize.

Last edited by tartempion; May 23, 2019 at 7:45 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Thus seat selection is not complementary for *G’s...
AC E50K (the first tier of AC *G) does not receive free advanced seat selection on Standard fares, so it makes some sense that *G does not either.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Wait till after the flight has been completed. You may see the charge appear then.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Wait till after the flight has been completed. You may see the charge appear then.
The OP has already stated the charged has been posted.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AC SE
I haven't paid for seat selection on AC in a while so I can't remember how it is usually processed. However when I book with UA and pay for seat selection, it gets processed in two transactions on my credit card, so similar to what OP is reporting.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: AC 75K
The sequence on the website when booking is: Confirm Flight, Select Seat, Confirm Seat charge, Payment Screen - where the fare, seat selection and taxes are broken out individually. As already noted, the airfare, and seat selection fees are charged to your credit card separately.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I was gonna post about how the charges always come out separately, and how on a card statement things can appear and vanish a few times until fully posted, but figured the original post was specific about what appeared on screen didn't include seat selection that was irrelevant...

Believe seat selection is a separate charge on every other airline I can recall booking one with. Even when done at time of booking flight.
Old May 24, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: *$ Green
The seat fees always posted as separate charges on my CC. Same for any addon I've ever purchased.
Old May 25, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Ah well, I flew QR, EY, TG, TK, WE, SL and a few others over the last 5 years mainly in J and never had to pay extra for seat selection,
last time AC was 2017 and don’t remember having paid something extra flying Y, AC started doing this recently?
way overpriced I find at 15% extra cost.
What alarmed me was the cc electronic signature processing outside AC website where the amount authorized did not include the seat selection. I am very careful with online purchases, 5 years ago got hit with 5 fraudulent air ticket purchases within 48h after a Thai Airways website purchase, which went through electronic signature.
suspicion is a TG employee sold my cc number, whatever...
i guess they separate payments for revenue identification... not the smartest IT processing of data...

BTW, some here remember me from YQB Do September 2018?
Old May 25, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AC SE
BTW, some here remember me from YQB Do September 2018?
Of course I do. And your pralines too, lol!
tartempion likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.