Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked Standard, showing as Basic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
Something other than 'L' cos 'L' means very little now, I would disagree that it means squat because it means it's Y or some sort, as opposed to J (JCDZP) or PY (OEN)...
I'm sure you knew what I was getting at... the gist of it.

I was speaking terms of a fare class letter meaning "squat" in the context of the situation we're discussing in this thread. It's been established that these are economy fares that are not being credited properly, hence requiring the fare basis to assist in several cases.
jc94 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt93
Here is a screenshot.

Branded fares don't currently exist for intercontinental travel.

And I don't know how Basic works on intercontinental travel.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

If this is the case, then the fare class letter should be enough then.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Originally Posted by yyznomad
If this is the case, then the fare class letter should be enough then.
Branded fares do exist for international travel, just not the exact same implementation as North America. This is a TATL 'Light' fare (last 3 characters of fare basis are LGT) which in AC world is Basic. The fare classes overlap with Standard and are assigned Brand Codes in GDS. So 25% miles in this case is correct.
tcook052, canadiancow and jc94 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by D582
Branded fares do exist for international travel, just not the exact same implementation as North America. This is a TATL 'Light' fare (last 3 characters of fare basis are LGT) which in AC world is Basic. The fare classes overlap with Standard and are assigned Brand Codes in GDS. So 25% miles in this case is correct.
That was my understanding too, AC operate branded including Basic fares on select international travel.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AC 75K
To add to this, for non-TATL markets there is a BA appended to the fare basis for Basic fares. ie: for YVR-HKG: KKXIT1BA, AKXIT1BA, LKXIT1BA
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
To add to this, for non-TATL markets there is a BA appended to the fare basis for Basic fares. ie: for YVR-HKG: KKXIT1BA, AKXIT1BA, LKXIT1BA
Sounds like we need a @yyznomad wiki
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Not sure if this is related, but seems to be the inverse? Or maybe just an AC.com technical glitch? Booked Standard through corp TA but my online booking on AC.com is funnily showing 'Economy - Flex' on the booking page, yet is showing the correct baggage allowance for Standard lower down on the page. Glitch with the website? Or did it actually book me into Flex?

Last edited by WesternCDN; Jun 12, 2019 at 10:43 am Reason: fixed attachment
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WesternCDN
Glitch with the website? Or did it actually book me into Flex?
The only way to know with certainty is to examine your fare basis. There are helpful posts upthread for checking on saudia.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I should really stop talking about Basic. I clearly have no idea how it works
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should really stop talking about Basic. I clearly have no idea how it works
I've included information in the master BE thread.
The TATL LGT was added much later and wasn't part of the original set of "rules" when Branded Fares were rolled out for NA.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada 35K
AC Support stopped responding to me. I guess they are hoping I go away.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

OMG, this is still happening! I just booked an open jaw trip from Canada to Europe and back. It was showing Standard on the Air Canada website. It says Standard in the e-mail confirmation I have received.

But when I check "My Booking" on the Air Canada website, it shows up as Basic. What's going on there?!
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

And another one. This time, the price dropped *after* I had entered my credit card details and clicked pay. No warning, just on the confirmation page a lower price was stated. I was charged the lower price, sent a confirmation email showing "Economy Standard", while it was actually an Economy Basic ticket.

I called in and asked this to be corrected. I offered to pay the higher price for Standard. The guy tried for a long time, but couldn't figure it out. His managers couldn't either.

In the end he constructed a new with the itinerary I wanted and I paid for that. 92 minutes on the phone! Then I had to go and cancel my original, messed up booking.

To wit, Air Canada is not handling those "branded" fares well at all.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus, Marriott/Hilton/Radisson Gold, Shangri-La Jade
I experienced the same issue as others have above and wanted to document my whole experience here. I wanted to book a multi-city trip all in standard, but clicking through on AC.com showed the latter two flights in basic, first in standard. However, clicking through to AC.com via Google Flights showed everything in Standard at $15 more.

I naturally booked on AC.com via the redirect from Google Flights. Once submitting through to the payment, the payment looked like it was going through, but spit me back out the previous page. On that page, everything showed up as the same ($15 more than Basic and everything in standard). Then upon clicking the purchase button again I see that the payment went through. Email confirmation showed all flights in standard, but $15 less (Basic price). Checking "my bookings" on AC.com showed the latter two flights in Basic! (I booked again to see if I could resolve the issue myself but the same issue happened - canceled the rebooking right after the same issue occurred).

I called AC, and they told me that this was a very rare issue (happened only twice before - ya. ok.) and they would put a note on my reservation saying all my flights were supposed to be in Standard if I need to make changes. After hanging up I realized that I'll have to call back to get the proper amount of miles & I wouldn't have access to eups. So I called again and that agent said they could change my reservation if they charged my CC the extra $15. Gladly accepted and it looks like the reservation is changed correctly online.

Moral of the story: if this happens to you, call AC and insist on changing the reservation to the proper fare, they should be able to do so for whatever the difference in price is. If you don't want to pay the price difference (which honestly you shouldn't have to) you'll be entitled the right # of miles & allowable changes to your reservation, but will have to call in more than once.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.