Wiki Posts
Search

Catering delay - is food required?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Catering delay - is food required?

On board AC1502 Toronto - Moncton this morning. Was supposed to leave at 835, it’s now almost 1015.

Its getting a bit rough on board. People are understandably upset since we’ve been in rolling 10 minute delays, and a lot of people keep saying we would have arrived by now had we left (I’ll assume though that YYZ also caters the return leg).

Anyways people are taking their frustrations out on the FA, she keeps trying her best to say we’re required to have it on board and it’s the captains decision. People don’t seem to really care for that answer.

So - that’s the question - is catering required?

We also all got a nice talking to from the captain about being more patient and needing to be respectful because they are here for our safety before our comfort.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:31 am

Perhaps they need to load their lunches for the short break before the return flight?
Old May 17, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AC 75K
Looks like a few issues made up the delay:

RMKS/DELAYED DUE FIN SWAP DUE FIN 278 AOG IN YYZ. TOW REQUIRED
FROM INT TO DOM AS A RESLT OF THE FIN SWAP FURTHER DELAYED DUE
CATERING DID NOT HAVE CATERING PLANNED FOR THIS FLIGHT. CATERI
NG SENT MEALS BUT DID NOT SEND WARM MEALS. IT WAS ALSO THEN DIS
COVERYED THAT THE CATERING THAT WAS SENT HAD OPEN DRINKS.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
the catering that was sent had open drinks makes it seem like carts out of position or a cart due to come off an arriving plane getting reloaded in error.

The 'food was not warm' note confuses me. When has an airline preloaded warm food? they don't. It gets chilled in the carts and warmed onboard if equipped with ovens.

Comment above about pilots meals for layover being required to fly might have some truth. The pilots likely cannot just walk to the arrivals side at YQM to wait in line to buy lunch.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
The open drinks comment made me laugh. Maybe the catering company was having a happy hour at lunch time
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by expert7700
the catering that was sent had open drinks makes it seem like carts out of position or a cart due to come off an arriving plane getting reloaded in error.

The 'food was not warm' note confuses me. When has an airline preloaded warm food? they don't. It gets chilled in the carts and warmed onboard if equipped with ovens.

Comment above about pilots meals for layover being required to fly might have some truth. The pilots likely cannot just walk to the arrivals side at YQM to wait in line to buy lunch.
I would think the warm food comment relates to the hot food not being loaded - i.e. pizza, mac n cheese, Freshii Pangoa, etc. I know the food is heated on the flight.
My MCO-YYZ flight this week also did not have any warm food. Either they did not load it or since the inbound flight was late the pax consumed it all. So we had to make do with snacks or wraps, roastbeef sandwich. They were also out of some of the cold food incl california rolls, etc. Open drinks probable meant that everything was offloaded (health and safety) and they waited for a new catering order.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I had a delay last year from LAX and they said they couldn't depart because the catering was required for their tarmac delay plan.
Fiordland and FlyerTalker70 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:25 pm

I would venture to guess that if the flight decided to forgo the catering there would be a tread titled, “AC takes off without catering” The comments would be about how individuals almost starved to death. After that, with the last of their energy they would want to know how much compensation they were entitled to.
Old May 17, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
According to AC's flight status info, it was a 103 minute delay to get food for a 110 minute flight. Only at Air Canada.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
So - that’s the question - is catering required?
Crew catering is guaranteed under the Collective Agreement in many cases.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by pitz
Crew catering is guaranteed under the Collective Agreement in many cases.
I suspect that this was the key issue, exacerbated by the loading of the wrong trolleys.

IIRC, this is not the first post about catering issues on the newer Rouge routes to NB.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Is the OPs flight double catered? I suspect so, but I could be wrong.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
The other item to consider is loading the catering for the return flight or onward flight as well.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC SE
I figured AC would have figured out the catering needs for the YYZ-YQM route now, given that it's been running for over 2 weeks, Hopefully this was just a one-off. I took a YQM-YYZ about 2 weeks ago, and they didn't have any catering for the return YQM-YYZ, so the Premium Rouge meal consisted of a pack of almonds. So running flights to YQM without catering hasn't stopped them before.
pprrff likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
In fairness to AC, the disorganization related to catering is the catering contractor's doing. It's not as if airlines have many options either. What is there? LSG/SkyChef or Gate Gourmet (sic)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.