Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking class for Air Miles award on WS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Anyone know which booking class WestJet uses for Air Miles tickets?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:35 am

Does it matter? Westjet does not have a FF program or a business class. So you get the same seat with no miles regardless of fare class.

If I'm not mistaken, reward tickets need to be changed by the issuing company. So you will need to go through AirMiles. Same thing with TravelCuts tickets... Airlines will avoid dealing with this kind of tickets like plague.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I'd like to check award availability on WS using ITN and compare it to Aeroplan. Even though you earn fewer Air Miles with WestJet than Aeroplan points on Air Canada, WestJet might be offering a better deal.

For example, I would earn 1050 Aeroplan points flying YOW-YWG-YOW. At $480 return, I would also earn 480 RBC miles on my Avion card and an extra 160 Aeroplan points from aircanada.com. RBC and Aeroplan points have similar values (in terms of the number you need to travel a certain distance), so that gives a total of 1690 points.

With the current WestJet promotions, I would get 960 RBC miles and 48 Air Miles for the same ticket. Again looking at how many points you need to fly somewhere, Air Miles seem to be worth about 8x what Aeroplan points are. Using this conversion, I get 960+384=1344 points, which is only 346 fewer points than what I get on Air Canada.

Now if I can actually book a seat with those Air Miles, WestJet is a better option for me. (In the past, I've nearly always used my Aeroplan point for domestic economy awards.)
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Award availability is not really an issue with Air Miles and West Jet, or AC, NW or any carrier you use AMs for. These seats are bought out of regular inventory. I don't know what fare codes WestJet normally offers, but my understanding is that the only restrictions with AM redemptions is that you must book 14-days in advance and stay over a Saturday night. And pay any taxes or fees yourself. No changes or standby are permitted.

As for the rest of your new post, you have lost me. A ticket on WestJet is about 1000 AMs, which can be earned in a variety of ways: $20,000 worth of charges on an Amex or BM MasterCard AM card. If you earn about 48 AMs from a $480 trip on WestJet, it would take over 20 such trips to earn an award trip on airline bookings alone. Fewer trips if you were collecting AMs from other sources.

Assuming YOW-YWG-YOW is about 1,000 miles, travel on AC would earn 1,000 Aeroplan miles from a discount fare. Aside from Aeroplan miles earned from other sources, this would require 15 trips for a short haul award, which this is. Yes, availability is more problematic with Aeroplan, but there are less restrictions than an AM ticket on either WestJet or AC.

At least that's my assessment.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Yes, availability is more problematic with Aeroplan</font>
"Aeroplan: The reward program with no available rewards (toasters excepted)"

------------------
Saturday nights should be spent with family.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tractor Boy:
"Aeroplan: The reward program with no available rewards (toasters excepted)"

</font>
...and an internet booking site that has become very user unfriendly!

Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I hadn't visited the new Aeroplan booking engine until a few minutes ago. I wanted to find out how difficult it would be to get seats from YOW to YWG this summer. So I plugged in the dates, departing next week, returning a few days later.

Was able to get 2 seats on the 18th at 6:30am, non-stop, with a return on the 22nd at 7:30pm connecting at YYZ and arriving at 12:52am. While there were no dates shown as available for much of the balance of the month, I did find the "Availability Bar" useful in seeing which alternative dates might be available.

Looking further out, into the fall, and lots of dates were available, so putting Aeroplan down for not having seats at the height of summer family travel time, a few weeks prior to desired travel date, is an unfare expectation when it is clear there are limited seats at peak travel times.

And from my calculation, I guess you could argue that instant KK is available from AM redemptions -- provided you book 14-days in advance and stay Saturday -- for the equivilent of 50% more "spend/accumulation" rather than the 100% an Elite would need. And of course, Prestige and basic members would have not access to KKs.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
And of course, Prestige and basic members would have not access to KKs.</font>
Unless they belong to one of the US programs such as AA, UA, NW which offer ALL their members instant KK, in the front & back cabins, with NO black-outs. It would be very easy for Aeroplan to wipe out the competitive advantage of Airmiles, Avion Visa etc by simply coming up with an instant KK program that simply matches its US peers.

------------------
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still puzzled by the vast gap between people here and their cynicism towards Aeroplan, and the fact that every bank and financial institution in the country has been battling to get a piece of that action.

As for instant KK, I still prefer AC's approach because it benefits its best customers to award seat access. And the whole idea of FF programs is to give something to those who fly the airline the most. Why should those who fly less, or not at all, have the same access to seats as true FFers? This is about revarding customer loyalty, and use of their product, and not just accumulating miles through credit cards, etc.

So while it appears everyone *****es about watering Aeroplan down, they also complain when it tries to preserve certain benefits, and particularly reward seat access, for those who fly. Sure, maybe instant KK should be 150% rather than 200% for Elites, and maybe Prestiges should be let in on it too. But Americans have not embraced "miles collecting" with the same gusto Canadians have, and thus make less demand for seats than do Canadians. Even with the wide open KK redemption.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Award availability is not really an issue with Air Miles and West Jet, or AC, NW or any carrier you use AMs for. These seats are bought out of regular inventory.</font>
An Air Miles award comes out of Z inventory on AC. If Z is not available, you can't get a ticket. Z comes after L in the booking codes, assuming you can see it, and is often zeroed out for popular flights. Availablity can be a problem, although not as much as for Aeroplan.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
If you earn about 48 AMs from a $480 trip on WestJet, it would take over 20 such trips to earn an award trip on airline bookings alone. ...
Aside from Aeroplan miles earned from other sources, this would require 15 trips for a short haul award, which this is. Yes, availability is more problematic with Aeroplan, but there are less restrictions than an AM ticket on either WestJet or AC.
</font>
That's exactly what I'm saying, except I also included the Avion points I will earn for buying the ticket. If award availability isn't as much of a problem on WestJet, it's worth it to book the extra 5 round trips on WS to get a free ticket. I know Aeroplan tickets are less restrictive, but I usually use them for trips that include a Saturday night stay and there's no way I would even hope to find one less than 14 days in advance.

I know Air Miles isn't a frequent flier programme, but since I no longer care about status, the Air Miles option and WestJet appears to be a reasonable deal.

So, does anyone know which booking class WS uses for Air Miles?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Why should those who fly less, or not at all, have the same access to seats as true FFers? This is about revarding customer loyalty, and use of their product, and not just accumulating miles through credit cards, etc.
</font>
I agree, and AC certainly has the right to operate their business anyway they like. I am only Elite, and there are many people who spend much more on plane tickets than I do. But if they are going to try to tempt me to fly with them using Aeroplan, the points have to be worth something. For the last 16 months, for every leisure trip that I have booked (probably close to a dozen), I have checked to see if any Aeroplan tickets were available. For every single trip, I haven't been able to find an Aeroplan award that came close to the dates and times I wanted to travel. I have always had to buy a ticket --
sometimes on AC, sometimes on a competitor. Sure, some of these trips were during peak holiday times and I don't expect a ticket then. But other trips were booked well in advance in the low season. If I can't use them, the points are useless to me, which is why I'm looking at Air Miles.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:11 pm

As for instant KK, I still prefer AC's approach because it benefits its best customers to award seat access. </font>
I'm an AC Elite and I can't get the reward seats I want even with instant KK - how is this benefiting your best customers?

As an AC Elite I don't have access to the front cabin with instant KK, and AC still has black-outs for Elites. A basic member with UA, NW or AA doesn't have these issues. How exactly is AC treating its Elite members so well?

------------------
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure how it got posted a second time.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 07-13-2003).]
Old Jul 12, 2003, 1:50 pm

SH: You've repeated your post. Don't know if this is a mistake or if you felt the need to say it again

Reading it again I just wanted to add a note - you talk about AC's "wide open instant KK redemption" - my problem with Aeroplan is that it isn't wide open - no front cabin access plus black-outs. I get better seat availability as a basic member of AA, UA etc than as an AC Elite.

------------------
Old Jul 12, 2003, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
SH, I think most here would agree that AC/AP have no clue about customer loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.