Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Attendants Urge Strict Evacuation Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Attendants Urge Strict Evacuation Rules

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
You can only do so much as humans we are flawed and during emergencies, many folks have no idea what to do. We have people on planes with shorts and flip flops or are drunk/high which can be an issue during an emergency. On Monday I flew YUL-YYC and I had this elderly non-English speaking couple sitting with me in the emergency exit 18EF. The elderly woman who I think may have gone to school with Jesus, had the young F/A put her fancy walker /cane in the overhead bin. This was not the same F/A who had to assist this elderly woman using her walker/cane walk all the way to her seat, and I mean Zone 1 & 2 were boarded and they stopped zone 3 so she can be walked to her seat. I stood there and said to the F/A "really" and she ignored me. The gentleman who's English was understandable asked if I wanted the window seat and I said no thank you, I like to have the flexibility to survive if there is an emergency, some of the folks who herd me laughed. This may be 80-pound woman struggled to open a can of Pringles and that window next to her is thirty pounds!

There is no perfect system and unfortunately, lives may be lost as well as serious injury can occur in emergencies. A lot of things can be done to mitigate human loss and injury, but we fail to ensure many of these safeguards are put in placed or executed to prevent or lessen tragedies.
Twickenham and Plumber like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Doesn't AC or Canada have rules saying that handicapped individuals cannot sit in emergency exit row seats?
Old May 16, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't AC or Canada have rules saying that handicapped individuals cannot sit in emergency exit row seats?
Yes:
"free from any disability, condition or responsibilities (such as attending to another person) that may prevent you from performing the functions required to open an emergency exit"

The real question is:
Doesn't AC or Canada enforce rules saying that handicapped individuals cannot sit in emergency exit row seats?
Old May 16, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Plumber
Yes:
"free from any disability, condition or responsibilities (such as attending to another person) that may prevent you from performing the functions required to open an emergency exit"

The real question is:
Doesn't AC or Canada enforce rules saying that handicapped individuals cannot sit in emergency exit row seats?
I have personally witnessed a non-English/non-French speaker being re-seated on AC.
--
13F
Old May 16, 2019, 9:30 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Plumber
Yes:

The real question is:
Yes they do. I have seem people made to change seat because they are handicapped in some way. Also, I have seen people removed from the extra row because they couldn’t speak English or French well enough.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
I have personally witnessed a non-English/non-French speaker being re-seated on AC.
--
13F
Saw that on WestJet too (although they spoke English somewhat they were being uncooperative and had to be warned about potential removal from the flight if (a) couldn't confirm verbally that they understood the emergency exist instructions, or (b) would move to another seat.)
Old May 16, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
You can only do so much as humans we are flawed and during emergencies, many folks have no idea what to do. We have people on planes with shorts and flip flops or are drunk/high which can be an issue during an emergency. On Monday I flew YUL-YYC and I had this elderly non-English speaking couple sitting with me in the emergency exit 18EF. The elderly woman who I think may have gone to school with Jesus, had the young F/A put her fancy walker /cane in the overhead bin. This was not the same F/A who had to assist this elderly woman using her walker/cane walk all the way to her seat, and I mean Zone 1 & 2 were boarded and they stopped zone 3 so she can be walked to her seat. I stood there and said to the F/A "really" and she ignored me. The gentleman who's English was understandable asked if I wanted the window seat and I said no thank you, I like to have the flexibility to survive if there is an emergency, some of the folks who herd me laughed. This may be 80-pound woman struggled to open a can of Pringles and that window next to her is thirty pounds!

There is no perfect system and unfortunately, lives may be lost as well as serious injury can occur in emergencies. A lot of things can be done to mitigate human loss and injury, but we fail to ensure many of these safeguards are put in placed or executed to prevent or lessen tragedies.
i would file a complaint with Transport Canada (or whoever the appropriate regulator is). This is covered by policy and regulations and shouldn’t be allowed. The fact that the crew was too lazy to bother to follow the rules and regulations is a major safety issue in my opinion.
Plumber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.