YYZ Airside Bus

Old May 15, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
YYZ Airside Bus

Last couple of YYZ-YYG trips have all involved a bus out to the tarmac at YYZ. Is this AC’s latest cost-cutting strategy - protect Calin’s Bonus by being too cheap to pay for a gate? Since there are gates available as I await my bus, I have to ask why we’re increasingly being given the FRA treatment.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Those 'free' gates could be allocated already, though.

Could this be related to thr increase in Rouge routes? A bunch of routes that previously used the D1-12 "gates" now need actual gates as a result.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Last couple of YYZ-YYG trips have all involved a bus out to the tarmac at YYZ. Is this AC’s latest cost-cutting strategy - protect Calin’s Bonus by being too cheap to pay for a gate? Since there are gates available as I await my bus, I have to ask why we’re increasingly being given the FRA treatment.
Both YYZ and YVR are running out of gate space and using remote stands.

YVR has an expansion of international gate area (and yes it includes a small forest in a weird glassed in area). I think they may also be getting ready to build a new pier for trans-boarder as an expansion.

YYZ has renderings for some complex and expesnsive expansion that involves removing and replacing existing roads and buildings. Some day they may have money to stat the project. Until then we should all be buying stock in airport buss companies.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D404
A bunch of routes that previously used the D1-12 "gates" now need actual gates as a result.
I actually thought the opposite - by reducing frequency on some routes and consolidating pax onto larger rouge aircraft, that should free up some gate space. Evidently not.

LOL ... another late departure too, by the looks of it. Supposed to have departed now and still haven’t even boarded the bus. 14 segments on AC so far this year, and only four on-time departures.

AC ... Always Chaotic
Old May 15, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I actually thought the opposite - by reducing frequency on some routes and consolidating pax onto larger rouge aircraft, that should free up some gate space. Evidently not.

LOL ... another late departure too, by the looks of it. Supposed to have departed now and still haven’t even boarded the bus. 14 segments on AC so far this year, and only four on-time departures.

AC ... Always Chaotic
How many of your 14 segments arrived on time?

Is FRA known for buses? I've never had a bus there, not that I go through there much. And I'd rather have a bus in some cases vs a 45 minute taxi - though mainly for deplaning rather than boarding.

I assume turn-around time has an impact. If the plan is to get to the gate, deplane and re-board in 20 minutes (clearly I'm not talking about AC here but other airlines can board a plane in narrow body 20 minutes) a gate makes more sense vs if the outbound flight is not due to even board for 4-5 hours having it take up a gate may not be practical.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jc94
How many of your 14 segments arrived on time?

Is FRA known for buses? I've never had a bus there, not that I go through there much.
Yes, for a majority of Schengen and other Euro non-Schengen flights.
COBUS 3000 is king at FRA and princes at many other European airports.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
COBUS 3000 I could not remember the name of those buses. Yup FRA, MUC, LIS most of European airports are remote gates with bus access.

I see the expansion at YVR and I agree that YVR needs a larger transborder pier, especially for the smaller planes as that is a long walk of shame going down to those few gates
Old May 15, 2019, 12:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
While I detest bus gates, which often negate the advantages (yes, to me) of zoned boarding and being amongst the first off the plane, there was one little thing I saw in SEA last week that I liked.

They had giant monitors on the side of the buses with the flight number and destination on them. I'm guessing this cuts down on confusion when multiple buses pull up for boarding.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
They had giant monitors on the side of the buses with the flight number and destination on them. I'm guessing this cuts down on confusion when multiple buses pull up for boarding.
I've seen this in AMS as well.
Symmetre likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Zoned boarding does take a hit ... you’re first on the bus ... and last off the bus. At least I got bus no. 1, which is, I suppose, some sort of acknowledgement of my DYKWIA Joe Kickass status n’ stuff.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

Joe Kickass
Haven't heard that one in a while.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:25 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
LX at ZRH and GVA as well as SU in SVO (as two examples I have flown recently) do the bus position arrival well for those in J. Separate bus that departs as soon as the J passengers are loaded.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, for a majority of Schengen and other Euro non-Schengen flights.
COBUS 3000 is king at FRA and princes at many other European airports.
And for AC flights in FRA sometimes too ... including frequently 838/839 to/from YOW in my past experience. And a lot at CDG lately for AC too since they are down a few gates in 2A because of construction...

At least FRA knows how to do busses efficiently. I can only imagine how AC & YYZ handle it *shudder*

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; May 15, 2019 at 3:50 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

You don’t want to know!
Old May 16, 2019, 9:04 am

For one, YYZ's busses don't seem to have any air con. Either that or they don't turn it on.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.