Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ Airside Bus

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AC 75K
There are 5 new bridged gates opening on the western side of the Regional Transborder pier that should alleviate some of the bus gate issues. I believe they’re substantially complete already.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Real airlines provide a separate bus for their J pax. The QR ones are quite nice with nice seats, TK does this, even S7 does it!
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, sometimes priority boarding gets their own bus.
Even on AC. For example one data point off the tip of my head, boarding AC811 at IST a few years ago all Zone 1s got their own bus to the apron.
That has not been consistent with my two bus experiences at YYZ, where the first bus each time was a mix of zone 1 - 3 pax, including people needing assistance or traveling with small kids. In other words, complete pandemonium.

Last edited by tcook052; May 18, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: Off topic posting
Old May 18, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
That has not been consistent with my two bus experiences at YYZ, where the first bus each time was a mix of zone 1 - 3 pax, including people needing assistance or traveling with small kids. In other words, complete pandemonium.

I'd argue this is more a commentary on the sad state of travel in the Americas than bus gates per se. I've had bus gates in FRA, NRT and AKL and during this time have never experienced the pandemonium you discussed. People were respectful and boarding was orderly. There's a reason why the Japanese can board 777s faster than most Canadian airlines can board an ERJ! Expansion of T1 can't come soon enough!

Last edited by tcook052; May 18, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: Off topic posting
Old May 18, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So I'm guessing this ML/ACr apron deplaning thing is rampant at YYZ now?
Old May 18, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

WS doesn't seem to have any difficulty using doors at both the front and back of the plane simultaneously. They use both doors at YYG all the time ... also at YHM.

Fiordland's suggestion of loading one bus with just zone 1 / 2 and sending it ahead of the zone 3 / 4 / 5 pax on other buses would be easiest to manage ... but could represent a slightly higher cost and AC - particularly rouge operations - is notoriously cheap already. I can't see them incurring any extra cost just in order to live up to their end of the customer loyalty value prop. Why start now?
Old May 18, 2019, 4:22 pm

WS doesn't seem to have any difficulty using doors at both the front and back of the plane simultaneously. They use both doors at YYG all the time ... also at YHM.
Have they ever done it at YYZ? If yes, then that would leave us with either AC not having equipment to support rear boarding/deplaning (i.e. aircraft, stairs) or training to do so. Again, don't want to sound dumb here but from my experience, boarding from anywhere outside the front of the plane is foreign to domestic airlines. I suspect there is more than meets the eyes to open that rear door and allow for boarding/deplaning that way. I'd be curious to hear from someone from the airlines/OP side who has done this before to understand what equipment and training is required.

Fiordland's suggestion of loading one bus with just zone 1 / 2 and sending it ahead of the zone 3 / 4 / 5 pax on other buses would be easiest to manage ... but could represent a slightly higher cost and AC - particularly rouge operations - is notoriously cheap already. I can't see them incurring any extra cost just in order to live up to their end of the customer loyalty value prop. Why start now?
Perhaps Rogue could employ the use of anti-loss straps parents use to "link" passengers by boarding zone to the gate agent who will then parade them over to the aircraft. Checking online I see they can be had for
$15 a pair $15 a pair
but suspect AC might be able to negotiate a bulk discount and/or acquire them from CoUnihound - I hear Smisek is holding a clearance sale on used Ted equipment

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by FlyerTalker70; May 18, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old May 18, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Have they ever done it at YYZ? If yes, then that would leave us with either AC not having equipment to support rear boarding/deplaning (i.e. aircraft, stairs) or training to do so. Again, don't want to sound dumb here but from my experience, boarding from anywhere outside the front of the plane is foreign to domestic airlines. I suspect there is more than meets the eyes to open that rear door and allow for boarding/deplaning that way. I'd be curious to hear from someone from the airlines/OP side who has done this before to understand what equipment and training is required.

I have been on the rare AC flight into Heathrow, Frankfurt, Madrid that is arrives late and is allocate a remote stand. They have no problem boarding from the front and rear of the aircraft.

In YYJ, Jazz is able to board the Q400 using both from the front and rear door with no problem. However YYJ is on an Island and Islands are permuted to be different.

Even in YVR, was off an Alaska/Horizon Q400 two weeks ago and they used the front and rear door.

Must be a problem with YYZ or the combination of YYZ and AC.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

YYZ can't seem to deliver any checked baggage onto a carousel in under 45 minutes, so I would also expect bus incompetence to be a local operational issue. The GTAA is not exactly known for running like a Swiss watch.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:39 am

YYZ can't seem to deliver any checked baggage onto a carousel in under 45 minutes, so I would also expect bus incompetence to be a local operational issue. The GTAA is not exactly known for running like a Swiss watch.
My checked bag experience at YYZ has been varied. I’ve come from UX flights and got my bags in 20 minutes but have also been on AC flights where it was more like an hour before I got my bag. That being said agree with your statement about YYZ operations. The memories of runwaygate at YYZ a couple years ago are etched into my head!

Any chance we’ll ever see a connector between T1 and T3 airside the way many airports everywhere in the world do? Perhaps that along with some schedule changes on ACs side could relieve the pressure a bit.
JustSomeGuy1978 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Any chance we’ll ever see a connector between T1 and T3 airside the way many airports everywhere in the world do? Perhaps that along with some schedule changes on ACs side could relieve the pressure a bit.
Given that T1 is AC/*A + 1, and T3 is everyone else there is not much need to make an airside connector. There wouldn't be enough passengers connecting between terminals to make it at all worthwhile.

edit: Actually the YYZ Master Plan shows that they are considering joining up the two terminals, but I can't imagine that they would go ahead with this. They would lose all of the commuter gates on the back side of the D pier, so they wouldn't gain much.

Last edited by smallmj; May 20, 2019 at 1:35 pm
Old May 20, 2019, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
Given that T1 is AC/*A + 1, and T3 is everyone else there is not much need to make an airside connector. There wouldn't be enough passengers connecting between terminals to make it at all worthwhile.
EI, KP, CX, EK, EY, ME, UL, VA are all listed on the YYZ website as using T1 (or T1/T3). They're either all airlines I know are not *A, or they're airlines I've never heard of (possibly regional US airlines).

I don't know which of those actually fly operate (they had some airlines on the list I know don't fly to YYZ), but it sounds like there's a few they could at least shift to T3 on paper.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
EI, KP, CX, EK, EY, ME, UL, VA are all listed on the YYZ website as using T1 (or T1/T3). They're either all airlines I know are not *A, or they're airlines I've never heard of (possibly regional US airlines).

I don't know which of those actually fly operate (they had some airlines on the list I know don't fly to YYZ), but it sounds like there's a few they could at least shift to T3 on paper.
I'm preeeeeety sure that EK is the only non-*A that operates from YYZ T1 on a regular basis, and that is just because the T1 hammerhead is the only place they can accommodate an A380.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by smallmj

edit: Actually the YYZ Master Plan shows that they are considering joining up the two terminals, but I can't imagine that they would go ahead with this. They would lose all of the commuter gates on the back side of the D pier, so they wouldn't gain much.
I would not be surprised to see connections between the two terminals. Cathy as an example has a fairly tight relationship with AC. AC also interlines with most of the airlines in T3.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: air miles
Other than t1/t3 connection an airside people mover (depending on where it is located) could shorten connections between the donestic/international/transborder piers at t1 (and t3). Thus saving the long walk down one pier and up another.

customs security might be an issue but not insurmountable.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:58 pm

Some good views from down below

745 C-FNNQ

Robert A. Miltion........

693 C-FIYA

The "covered walkway!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.