YYZ Airside Bus

Old May 16, 2019, 10:05 am

Jeez between these long taxis at YYZ and now the bus routes, I'm going to be out of pocket change by the time I feed meter and pay the fare !

-James

Last edited by tcook052; May 17, 2019 at 7:17 am Reason: Off topic posting
Old May 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Anyone else have recent experiences of flying AC mainline or ACr into YYZ and being forced to deplane on the apron and onto a bus?

This has happened to me on a few occasions over the past decade and prior (not including when the IFT was in use for international arrivals, before hammerhead was fully opened), so I won't be joining others here with arms flailing and hair on fire (yet).
Old May 17, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Elite 50K
Couple of weeks back my YHZ-YYZ flight ended up parking in the wilderness and then we took a bus. Made for a tighter connection to RDU but at least I was on first bus. The pilot described it as "deplaning just like in the caribbean but without the weather"
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Zoned boarding does take a hit ... you’re first on the bus ... and last off the bus. At least I got bus no. 1, which is, I suppose, some sort of acknowledgement of my DYKWIA Joe Kickass status n’ stuff.
Zone boarding is silly with buses. If it is something other than a CRJ, you should have stairs on both the front and rear of the bird. People get off the bus through multiple doors and scramble to the appropriate door.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:30 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Zone boarding is silly with buses. If it is something other than a CRJ, you should have stairs on both the front and rear of the bird. People get off the bus through multiple doors and scramble to the appropriate door.
I've seen that too and it works better than single door. At least if you are in Zone 1!
Old May 17, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Depends on the airline. If the airline provides a separate bus for each zone (or just Z1/J) and stops everyone not in J putting their bags in the overheads, and then one boards after the rest of the plane, with the curtain already closed and completely empty bins, it works fine.

Whether it's YYZ or AC's fault that they can't manage this however, I'm not clear on.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes, sometimes priority boarding gets their own bus.
Even on AC. For example one data point off the tip of my head, boarding AC811 at IST a few years ago all Zone 1s got their own bus to the apron.

Old May 17, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, sometimes priority boarding gets their own bus.
Even on AC. For example one data point off the tip of my head, boarding AC811 at IST a few years ago all Zone 1s got their own bus to the apron.
Yes but is this an AC thing or an IST thing though?
Old May 17, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
I suspect it's airport specific.

I had the same thing (seperate bus for zone 1) on AC one time - at FRA.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou

Originally Posted by canopus27
I suspect it's airport specific.

I had the same thing (seperate bus for zone 1) on AC one time - at FRA.
Airport specific would make this thread OT.
Old May 17, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Real airlines provide a separate bus for their J pax. The QR ones are quite nice with nice seats, TK does this, even S7 does it!
Old May 17, 2019, 11:46 pm

Out of curiosity, why hasn't AC made all the regional flights use bus gates and simply reallocate the space they used in the satellite terminal to these flights? That way passengers on the larger flights could simply walk on the tarmac to their plane instead of playing musical chairs on a bus! It would seem that inconveniencing 60 passengers on a Q400 flight makes more sense than inconveniencing triple that amount on an A320.

-James
YYCguy likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity, why hasn't AC made all the regional flights use bus gates and simply reallocate the space they used in the satellite terminal to these flights? That way passengers on the larger flights could simply walk on the tarmac to their plane instead of playing musical chairs on a bus! It would seem that inconveniencing 60 passengers on a Q400 flight makes more sense than inconveniencing triple that amount on an A320.

-James
By satellite terminal, I assume you mean either gates D1-D12 or gates F84-F97. I don't think there enough space for bigger planes at these gates.

Or did you mean the Infield Terminal which is currently served by buses from Terminal 3?

Last edited by smallmj; May 18, 2019 at 3:16 am Reason: change wording to sound slightly less like an insufferable know-it-all
Old May 18, 2019, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by smallmj
By satellite terminal, I assume you mean either gates D1-D12 or gates F84-F97. I don't think there enough space for bigger planes at these gates.

Or did you mean the Infield Terminal which is currently served by buses from Terminal 3?
I meant the former (i.e. the gates at the ends of T1 where you can walk on the tarmac to your prop plane. Respectfully disagree with you on your assessment having recently travelled through London City. They manage to stack up several regionals A319 jets on their tiny apron and still manage to let passengers deplane and walk on the apron to the terminal. This is what their apron looks like on a good day:

-James
Old May 18, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I meant the former (i.e. the gates at the ends of T1 where you can walk on the tarmac to your prop plane. Respectfully disagree with you on your assessment having recently travelled through London City. They manage to stack up several regionals A319 jets on their tiny apron and still manage to let passengers deplane and walk on the apron to the terminal. This is what their apron looks like on a good day.
There are no A319 at LCY. The planes in your image are mostly E170s.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.