Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC 446 delayed today because of... overfueling?! How can that happen?

AC 446 delayed today because of... overfueling?! How can that happen?

Old May 14, 19, 12:59 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
I've had it happen on planes up to a 737 in size.

Last minute equipment swap on the route, overfueled because on a short trip the extra fuel would put the plane over the maximum landing weight (either for the runway or for the mfr's rated landing weight).

Be glad your fuelers took out enough, but not too much. Air Canada has famously landed with zero fuel and zero engines before. My backpack Gimli Glider tag doesn't even smell like Jet-A.
i have one of those Gimli tags also. mind you that case they just didn't put enough into the aircraft in the first place
Aselwyn is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 1:27 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,139
"Over-fueling" can also result from last-minute fin swaps, especially with smaller aircraft. It's pretty rare, but entirely unheard of.
Symmetre is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 4:47 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Posts: 90
The other side of the coin

Flew from ORD to IAD in April. Plane was ready, however, flight crew were late, en route from LAX. That plane had to make an emergency stop in Denver as the plane was under-fueled in LA. Gauge error was cited as reason. Flight to DC was delayed almost 2 hours because of the late crew arrival.
2stepbay is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 4:51 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Posts: 19,200
Originally Posted by wildyorkie View Post
On March 28, 2018, I flew on a Boeing 787-9 on American Airlines flight 281 from DFW to ICN. It was delayed more than an hour at the gate, because it had to "defuel." I found it puzzling that it would have taken so long, given that on a westbound flight to Korea it would have needed substantially most of its fuel capacity in the first instance.
Similar AA experience at LAX. A few months ago, our LAX-DFW 789 was mistakenly loaded for GRU, which was parked at an adjacent gate.
SFO777 is offline  
Old May 15, 19, 5:32 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 237
Overfueling "war story"

Many years ago, I knew a UA 727 captain. He told me about a LGA-ORD flight he piloted that was overweight. (LGA's short runways often result in limited takeoff weight for airplanes.) Dispatch didn't notice until all the passengers had boarded.

Rather than de-fuel, dispatch told him to go back and make a couple of passengers get off the plane.
His response was that he was not going to risk his life by telling New Yorkers to get off.

After a delay, the plane was moved to a runup area and ran the engines on the ground for about 20 minutes to burn off fuel.
gregmchicago is offline  
Old May 15, 19, 5:38 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 2,330
Originally Posted by gregmchicago View Post
Many years ago, I knew a UA 727 captain. He told me about a LGA-ORD flight he piloted that was overweight. (LGA's short runways often result in limited takeoff weight for airplanes.) Dispatch didn't notice until all the passengers had boarded.

Rather than de-fuel, dispatch told him to go back and make a couple of passengers get off the plane.
His response was that he was not going to risk his life by telling New Yorkers to get off.

After a delay, the plane was moved to a runup area and ran the engines on the ground for about 20 minutes to burn off fuel.
I had the same thing on a very full UA DEN-YVR flight a while back.

It was really, really hot and, listening in on Channel 9, UA Ops was trying to tell the Captain that they were going to offload pax for performance reasons. He said No, unload some cargo. They said No. So they worked out another solution.

After sitting in the penalty box for 45 minutes, they offloaded fuel and we were off. With a new flight number (which they had to constantly explain to ATC) and a refuelling stop in GEG. Truly a cluster.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old May 15, 19, 9:52 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Ont., Canada
Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Posts: 1,806
Talking

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
Be glad your fuelers took out enough, but not too much. Air Canada has famously landed with zero fuel and zero engines before.
Understandable they would land with zero fuel. However do AC planes land with no engine(s)?
yscleo is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 4:04 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,485
Originally Posted by yscleo View Post
Understandable they would land with zero fuel. However do AC planes land with no engine(s)?
It was called the Gimli Glider for a reason?
quantumofforce is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 5:57 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: YVR TLS
Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Posts: 753
De-Fueling while not entirely unusual as mentioned in this thread is a pain though. Apparently the fuel must be put in a special fuel truck since once the fuel is loaded on the plane it's in essense "your fuel" and cannot be used in another airplane. It takes time to coordinate this which leads to long delays..
D582 likes this.
james dean is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 7:38 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 2,504
Originally Posted by 2stepbay View Post
Flew from ORD to IAD in April. Plane was ready, however, flight crew were late, en route from LAX. That plane had to make an emergency stop in Denver as the plane was under-fueled in LA. Gauge error was cited as reason. Flight to DC was delayed almost 2 hours because of the late crew arrival.
That happens often enough on "sun" bound aircraft scheduled to fly 99% of their rated range by some of the other Canadian carriers that the AC desk at CBC has taken notice.
RangerNS is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 9:56 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YYZ/SFO
Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver, Le Club Accor Silver, Avis First, NEXUS
Posts: 2,648
Originally Posted by james dean View Post
De-Fueling while not entirely unusual as mentioned in this thread is a pain though. Apparently the fuel must be put in a special fuel truck since once the fuel is loaded on the plane it's in essense "your fuel" and cannot be used in another airplane. It takes time to coordinate this which leads to long delays..
This. I had this happen on a YYZYVR when a last minute fin swap gave us a 777 that was fuelled for Europe. It took a while to get the special truck.
D582 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread