Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from Premium Rouge

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
AC also knows that you won't likely litigate as an EC 261/2004 claim would need to be filed in either Finland or Denmark.
Well, I don't see how that is a problem considering OP lists Helsinki as location .
vulle likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Contacted AC on twitter, they gave me a link to use to contact AC customer service. Sent them a message on Saturday, got directly a confirmation that they received my message - radio silence since then. How fast is AC usually in responding to comments/complaints?
Old May 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by vulle
Contacted AC on twitter, they gave me a link to use to contact AC customer service. Sent them a message on Saturday, got directly a confirmation that they received my message - radio silence since then. How fast is AC usually in responding to comments/complaints?
Not fast at all. Up to 30 days - especially with the MAX groundings...I suspect they're quite busy.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Not fast at all. Up to 30 days - especially with the MAX groundings...I suspect they're quite busy.
Thanks ChrisA330, will not be holding my breath then for a quick reply
Old May 16, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thank you all! Even leaving from EU I expect no EC261-compensation as I was informed more than 14 days in advance.

Will contact CR and let you know the end result.
The 14 day rule concerns schedule changes not downgrades.

I assume that you purchased a through fare, with the downgraded segment on the same fare component as the flight(s) departing from the EU. Given this, I think there's a chance that EC261 would apply. Start by looking at the big authoritative EC261 thread in the BA forum which contains an incredible amount of helpful detailed information. Of course, this would be a fight and might not be worth it given how the downgraded segment represents a small fraction of your total miles (which is the basis for calculating downgrade compensation).
Old May 18, 2019, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Got a 20 % discount on my next AC trip, as guessed earlier in this thread.

Quite an apology by AC:
"Thank you for contacting us. We know how important it is to get to your destination on time and we’re sorry your trip was affected by the grounding of the 737 Max."

One 321 was replaced with another - with no J - and I have not traveled yet. I guess it was too much to expect AC's customer service to read my message...
Old May 18, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
...Heck, I got a 20% promo code last week for having a YWG-YYC mainline flight swapped to Rouge, they gave one to every passenger. I think you are due at least that much. But there are no other routing options available, so I think you have to just ensure you get compensated.
How did they give them out? Did they give out physical cards on the flight, or was it via e-mail afterwards? And did they give them out to Premium Rouge as well as rouge economy minus? The FAQ's on the website say that if rouge is subbed for mainline that they'll give economy pax a discount code, but doesn't mention Premium Rouge pax. I've got 2 flights coming up that have been subbed from mainline to rouge, so am considering my options.

From AC's website in the 737 Max area:
  • As the Rouge cabin is not equipped with individual in-flight entertainment screens, Economy Class customers will be offered a promotion code* for 15% off a future booking (issued within 30 days of travel).
Old May 18, 2019, 12:39 pm

Got a 20 % discount on my next AC trip, as guessed earlier in this thread.

Quite an apology by AC:
"Thank you for contacting us. We know how important it is to get to your destination on time and we’re sorry your trip was affected by the grounding of the 737 Max."

One 321 was replaced with another - with no J - and I have not traveled yet. I guess it was too much to expect AC's customer service to read my message...
At this juncture you should ask yourself if you are satisfied with this "compensation" of a 20% off coupon on AC flights. Keep in mind most of these coupons have an expiry date so you'll need to see if you'll be paying out of pocket for a future AC flight say in the next 12 months. One thing you may want to try doing is getting AC to rebook that segment at a different time that provides J availability. This may also be beneficial to you, since you'd be able to use the MLL at YYZ which has showers that will allow you to freshen up after the long endeavour you've had so far! It is my understanding that in situations like these, AC has been known to open up award availability, particularly if the flight is on their own metal. Having flown AC Rogue in Y across the puddle to MAN, I was not satisfied at all with my seat. I had a sore rear after maybe 45 minutes in that seat. While I cannot comment on what the "hard" product would be like on your 3 hour trek to YYT given it's a different aircraft (A321 vs 767), Rogue Y service has left much to be desired. In fact I believe several people on this forum swear they'd never fly Rogue domestically, even for treks as short as YQB > YYZ.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 18, 2019, 1:47 pm

I was just looking at one of my reservations, and looks like I've also been hit by a change to a single cabin rouge A321 and a downgrade. Had a reward flight booked YUL-YYT that was originally an AC Express E175, moved to a rouge 319, and now moved to a single cabin rouge A321 and downgraded to economy. It's on a UA issued reward ticket, so unfortunately this may be a hassle to try to get resolved.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
I was just looking at one of my reservations, and looks like I've also been hit by a change to a single cabin rouge A321 and a downgrade. Had a reward flight booked YUL-YYT that was originally an AC Express E175, moved to a rouge 319, and now moved to a single cabin rouge A321 and downgraded to economy. It's on a UA issued reward ticket, so unfortunately this may be a hassle to try to get resolved.
IME it shouldn't be. UA and AC share a very close relationship. For instance, last year I was originally flying SIN > LAX > SFO > YYZ on UA with SFO > YYZ being operated by AC. As we all know UA dropped SIN > LAX and when I called in, the agent didn't bat an eye to rebooking the SFO > YYZ on AC at a time that worked for me. Similarly I've had a CPU upgraded flight (ORD > YYZ) go into IRROPS and UA ended up rebooking me into J on AC at a time that worked for me.

My recommendation would be checking to see what's available now in that routing, then calling up UA and explain the situation. I would be shocked if they charged a change fee given it was AC that altered the ticket causing the issue in the first place. What might be an issue is whether AC will open up award availability to re-accomodate you another flight with J service if no such award availability exists. In that case, I would then three-way AC and UA and have them work together to get this sorted.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 18, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
IME it shouldn't be. UA and AC share a very close relationship. For instance, last year I was originally flying SIN > LAX > SFO > YYZ on UA with SFO > YYZ being operated by AC. As we all know UA dropped SIN > LAX and when I called in, the agent didn't bat an eye to rebooking the SFO > YYZ on AC at a time that worked for me. Similarly I've had a CPU upgraded flight (ORD > YYZ) go into IRROPS and UA ended up rebooking me into J on AC at a time that worked for me.

My recommendation would be checking to see what's available now in that routing, then calling up UA and explain the situation. I would be shocked if they charged a change fee given it was AC that altered the ticket causing the issue in the first place. What might be an issue is whether AC will open up award availability to re-accomodate you another flight with J service if no such award availability exists. In that case, I would then three-way AC and UA and have them work together to get this sorted.

Safe Travels,

James
How many times have you been able to get UA to get other operating carriers to open up award availability on the other carrier? The issue is that there's no J award availability on the route, UA doesn't operate the route, and my experience is that it's not exactly easy to get award availability opened up when the operating carrier and ticketing airline are different. There wouldn't be any change fee, as I'm a 1K on UA, but there needs to be award space bookable. The examples above are quite different, as your examples were rebooking revenue tickets for schedule changes or IRROPS, so I'm well aware of what UA can and will do in those scenarios. But if you've been able to get UA to convince AC to open up award space, I'd love to hear about it. But my experience is that it's not quite as simple as you may think.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by gcashin
How did they give them out? Did they give out physical cards on the flight, or was it via e-mail afterwards? And did they give them out to Premium Rouge as well as rouge economy minus? The FAQ's on the website say that if rouge is subbed for mainline that they'll give economy pax a discount code, but doesn't mention Premium Rouge pax. I've got 2 flights coming up that have been subbed from mainline to rouge, so am considering my options.

From AC's website in the 737 Max area:
They gave everyone a card at boarding, and you entered your reservation info to the website to obtain your promo code. I was in Premium Rouge, so maybe that's why I got 20%, but I remember hearing people going back to Economy Minus talking about a 20% code, so it seems that's what the CSA's were telling people.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
They gave everyone a card at boarding, and you entered your reservation info to the website to obtain your promo code. I was in Premium Rouge, so maybe that's why I got 20%, but I remember hearing people going back to Economy Minus talking about a 20% code, so it seems that's what the CSA's were telling people.
Like this one?
Old May 21, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Like this one?
Yup, that is the exact one.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Like this one?
OT I know, but what happened to that card??
jasdou likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.