Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded from Premium Rouge

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by gcashin
I was just looking at one of my reservations, and looks like I've also been hit by a change to a single cabin rouge A321 and a downgrade. Had a reward flight booked YUL-YYT that was originally an AC Express E175, moved to a rouge 319, and now moved to a single cabin rouge A321 and downgraded to economy. It's on a UA issued reward ticket, so unfortunately this may be a hassle to try to get resolved.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
IME it shouldn't be. UA and AC share a very close relationship. For instance, last year I was originally flying SIN > LAX > SFO > YYZ on UA with SFO > YYZ being operated by AC. As we all know UA dropped SIN > LAX and when I called in, the agent didn't bat an eye to rebooking the SFO > YYZ on AC at a time that worked for me. Similarly I've had a CPU upgraded flight (ORD > YYZ) go into IRROPS and UA ended up rebooking me into J on AC at a time that worked for me.

My recommendation would be checking to see what's available now in that routing, then calling up UA and explain the situation. I would be shocked if they charged a change fee given it was AC that altered the ticket causing the issue in the first place. What might be an issue is whether AC will open up award availability to re-accomodate you another flight with J service if no such award availability exists. In that case, I would then three-way AC and UA and have them work together to get this sorted.

Safe Travels,

James
How many times have you been able to get UA to get other operating carriers to open up award availability on the other carrier? The issue is that there's no J award availability on the route, UA doesn't operate the route, and my experience is that it's not exactly easy to get award availability opened up when the operating carrier and ticketing airline are different. There wouldn't be any change fee, as I'm a 1K on UA, but there needs to be award space bookable. The examples above are quite different, as your examples were rebooking revenue tickets for schedule changes or IRROPS, so I'm well aware of what UA can and will do in those scenarios. But if you've been able to get UA to convince AC to open up award space, I'd love to hear about it. But my experience is that it's not quite as simple as you may think.
So after 1 hour and 10 mins on the phone with the UA 1K desk and AC, AC is unwilling and/or unable to do anything for a YUL-YYT segment that's downgraded from a Business Class reward booking to an economy only configuration, and the departure time has changed by 5 hours. There's no "I" reward space available that day, but I'd offered some other routing suggestions if AC could open up "I" class reward space. The AC agent was apparently helpful and tried to change the flight to another routing option with a J cabin, but the system wouldn't let her, and the AC Supervisors also weren't able to do anything. They basically said they don't have any way to be able to reaccomodate for a schedule change for award travel issued on anything other than 014 ticket stock, and are unwilling/unable to release I inventory. The UA agent was helpful, but pretty frustrated that AC wouldn't do anything to fix a major schedule change that they created.

James, do you really think this is a simple fix?
Old May 23, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So after 1 hour and 10 mins on the phone with the UA 1K desk and AC, AC is unwilling and/or unable to do anything for a YUL-YYT segment that's downgraded from a Business Class reward booking to an economy only configuration, and the departure time has changed by 5 hours. There's no "I" reward space available that day, but I'd offered some other routing suggestions if AC could open up "I" class reward space. The AC agent was apparently helpful and tried to change the flight to another routing option with a J cabin, but the system wouldn't let her, and the AC Supervisors also weren't able to do anything. They basically said they don't have any way to be able to reaccomodate for a schedule change for award travel issued on anything other than 014 ticket stock, and are unwilling/unable to release I inventory. The UA agent was helpful, but pretty frustrated that AC wouldn't do anything to fix a major schedule change that they created.

James, do you really think this is a simple fix?
It doesn't sound like they were unwilling. More like unable.

It sounded like you were going through front-line channels, and I'm not sure they can handle this situation that way. I don't know exactly the process for this, but I could envision UA waitlisting you on the segments you want, and then having AC clear it. Just opening I space isn't very smart, because someone else could potentially grab it.

I did one time have AC RM open I space for me. But that was when IKK was broken, so I couldn't make a booking at all. Every other RM involvement (fewer than 5 times) has handled my specific PNR without opening space that anyone else could snatch.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It doesn't sound like they were unwilling. More like unable.

It sounded like you were going through front-line channels, and I'm not sure they can handle this situation that way. I don't know exactly the process for this, but I could envision UA waitlisting you on the segments you want, and then having AC clear it. Just opening I space isn't very smart, because someone else could potentially grab it.

I did one time have AC RM open I space for me. But that was when IKK was broken, so I couldn't make a booking at all. Every other RM involvement (fewer than 5 times) has handled my specific PNR without opening space that anyone else could snatch.
Yes, agreed, it was more likely a case of being unable, as they tried to make the change and couldn't, but also potentially unwilling to try other ways to resolve it. And yeah, I'd called the UA 1K desk, and they'd called their AC liasion in ticketing, who had involved at least one supervisor. They tried to change it, but weren't able to offer any solutions other than keeping an eye out for award availability.

I know with similar schedule changed on Aeroplan issued 014 ticket stock, they seem to put the request into a ticketing queue if they can't resolve it on the spot, and it usually gets addressed shortly after the call. Frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a similar process or option for tickets issued by other airlines where AC makes a significant schedule change, and there's no reward availability.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
hehe the President of Rouge just got downgraded.
https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/peop...ir-canada.html
Old May 24, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Yes, agreed, it was more likely a case of being unable, as they tried to make the change and couldn't, but also potentially unwilling to try other ways to resolve it. And yeah, I'd called the UA 1K desk, and they'd called their AC liasion in ticketing, who had involved at least one supervisor. They tried to change it, but weren't able to offer any solutions other than keeping an eye out for award availability.

I know with similar schedule changed on Aeroplan issued 014 ticket stock, they seem to put the request into a ticketing queue if they can't resolve it on the spot, and it usually gets addressed shortly after the call. Frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a similar process or option for tickets issued by other airlines where AC makes a significant schedule change, and there's no reward availability.
TBH, this isn't any different than what would happen if I'm on 014 ticket stock and say LH downgrades me from First to Business because they swapped equipment. AC/AE won't be able to force LH to open up award space. AE may opt to buy a revenue first class fare on a different route, but that's up to AE to decide. Maybe you can request UA MP to buy a revenue ticket on a different set of flights since you are paying for a J award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.