FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YVR Baggage Handling - Awesome (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1969100-yvr-baggage-handling-awesome.html)

yyz-kin May 10, 2019 9:48 am

YVR Baggage Handling - Awesome

had a priority tag on my golf bag and it actually came out with the rest of the priority bags. Pleasantly surprised at that one as I was preparing for a half hour wait.

robsaw May 10, 2019 11:31 am

Originally Posted by yyz-kin (Post 31087116)
had a priority tag on my golf bag and it actually came out with the rest of the priority bags. Pleasantly surprised at that one as I was preparing for a half hour wait.

"errors may occasionally occur"

;)

blueandgold92 May 10, 2019 11:38 am

I'm YVR based and always try to avoid checking luggage, but I often find YVR the most reliable for both speed and priority delivery of luggage.

Even the time my luggage came back damaged at YVR they were surprisingly easy and pleasant to deal with to get it corrected.

Sopwith May 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Interesting...golf clubs usually come out on Carousel 35 with the oversized bags. So you got yours on the regular carousel? Bonus, but don't expect it to happen again.

5mm May 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by blueandgold92 (Post 31087543)
I'm YVR based and always try to avoid checking luggage, but I often find YVR the most reliable for both speed and priority delivery of luggage.

Even the time my luggage came back damaged at YVR they were surprisingly easy and pleasant to deal with to get it corrected.

We must fly out of different airports in Vancouver. Yvr baggage has become faster, but over all, still slow.

yyz-kin May 11, 2019 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31087799)
Interesting...golf clubs usually come out on Carousel 35 with the oversized bags. So you got yours on the regular carousel? Bonus, but don't expect it to happen again.

To clarify, they did come out at the oversized area which really surprised me that they arrived so quickly.

if only the same could happen at YYZ...

CZAMFlyer May 11, 2019 11:33 am

Originally Posted by 5mm (Post 31088991)

We must fly out of different airports in Vancouver. Yvr baggage has become faster, but over all, still slow.

Where did the OP fly in from? If domestically, any delivery delays would be based upon the time it takes to offload the airplane, load up the baggage train and drive it to the inbound drop-off (beneath Gate 29). Once bags are gently thrown onto the conveyor, they take approximately one minute to appear on the carousel inside. Bags travel through the system in a straight line, faster than a person takes to walk the same distance (they have to climb ladders, exit the secure side and walk through the hallway to emerge beside the Timmys between the AC and WS carousels). The above is predicated upon a motivated ramp staff (never a given).

If a transborder or international arrival, the baggage system is a lot more complex, and YVR has been plagued by a few snafu days this spring, leading to one-hour delays (longer at peak midday arrival times). I can't begin to understand or explain the labyrinth of the baggage system, but on most days, the delivery times are reasonable and in line with most major airports.

It's a Skytrax-10 airport after all!

5mm May 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 31090628)
Where did the OP fly in from? If domestically, any delivery delays would be based upon the time it takes to offload the airplane, load up the baggage train and drive it to the inbound drop-off (beneath Gate 29). Once bags are gently thrown onto the conveyor, they take approximately one minute to appear on the carousel inside. Bags travel through the system in a straight line, faster than a person takes to walk the same distance (they have to climb ladders, exit the secure side and walk through the hallway to emerge beside the Timmys between the AC and WS carousels). The above is predicated upon a motivated ramp staff (never a given).

If a transborder or international arrival, the baggage system is a lot more complex, and YVR has been plagued by a few snafu days this spring, leading to one-hour delays (longer at peak midday arrival times). I can't begin to understand or explain the labyrinth of the baggage system, but on most days, the delivery times are reasonable and in line with most major airports.

It's a Skytrax-10 airport after all!

My last flight was a Dom arr, gate 43. I was the third one off the aircraft, went to the washroom and bought a book and Still had to wait 10 min. YVR international baggage delivery is not good and oversized like golf clubs delivery is a joke. Not world class at all, more bottom of the barrel to me.

Sopwith May 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 31090628)
but on most days, the delivery times are reasonable and in line with most major airports.

Being in line with most major airports doesn’t necessarily make it reasonable.

As with airlines, being less bad than the rest doesn’t make it good.

Having said that, my experience at YVR has generally been in line with most major airports.

Fiordland May 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by yyz-kin (Post 31090545)

To clarify, they did come out at the oversized area which really surprised me that they arrived so quickly.

if only the same could happen at YYZ...

There is the problem. If it easy for YVR to look good in comparison to YYZ baggage handling.

yyz-kin May 13, 2019 9:20 am

Yeah, flew in from YYZ. Now, the return flight home yesterday was another story. Got off the plane, took the walk and it wasn't very long until the bags started coming off at the conveyer. At about the 5 minute mark, a Fragile box with a Priority tag from the same flight I was on arrived at oversized. At approximately the 15 minute mark, a bicycle in a bag was tossed through the black plastic and landed with a big thud on said Fragile box. At the 25 minute mark I was still waiting. 32 minutes after arriving at the baggage hall, there were my clubs.

Thanks for playing the AC Priority Game, please play again real soon....

CZAMFlyer May 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31092098)

Being in line with most major airports doesn’t necessarily make it reasonable.

As with airlines, being less bad than the rest doesn’t make it good.

Having said that, my experience at YVR has generally been in line with most major airports.

I might suggest a refresh of the definition of the term ‘reasonable’. Synonyms are ‘moderate’, ‘fair’ and ‘average’. I’m not sure where the notions of “good” or “less bad” come into play. If an airport offers a service that is, we agree, in line with most major airports, wouldn’t that by definition be reasonable?

Baggage delivery performance at a given airport is based only in part upon the design of the physical system itself or efficiency of its baggage schedulers. Differences in ground handler staffing & company culture, time of day, flight congestion, CATSA/CBSA requirements etc will affect the time it takes to see your bag plunk onto the carousel.

Sopwith May 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer (Post 31098823)

I might suggest a refresh of the definition of the term ‘reasonable’. Synonyms are ‘moderate’, ‘fair’ and ‘average’. I’m not sure where the notions of “good” or “less bad” come into play. If an airport offers a service that is, we agree, in line with most major airports, wouldn’t that by definition be reasonable?

From dictionary.com:

adjective

1. agreeable to reason or sound judgment;
2. logical:a reasonable choice for chairman.
3. not exceeding the limit prescribed by reason;
4. not excessive:reasonable terms.
5. moderate, especially in price;
6. not expensive:The coat was reasonable but not cheap.
7. endowed with reason.
8. capable of rational behavior, decision, etc.
One of the biggest problems with the airline industry these days is the persistent notion that if we do the same as everyone else it must be okay. This perhaps explains why what you think is reasonable is not what I think is good.

canadiancow May 14, 2019 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Sopwith (Post 31098853)
From dictionary.com:

One of the biggest problems with the airline industry these days is the persistent notion that if we do the same as everyone else it must be okay. This perhaps explains why what you think is reasonable is not what I think is good.

And the legal definition of "reasonable" is even further away from "average".

CZAMFlyer May 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Oh dear lord, how fine are the hairs we split. Baggage delivery at YVR is just fine and getting better. The airport isn’t aiming to compare itself to any other airport; it measures itself against customer expectations. And away from the potshots of this inward-focused niche group, most passengers seem to give positive feedback. There are big improvements underway, and I’ll leave it to you two to nitpick about whether you think it’s good, bad or indifferent.