Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ontario man loses 370,000 Aeroplan miles saved for retirement

Ontario man loses 370,000 Aeroplan miles saved for retirement

Old May 16, 2019, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I don't even use any tricks nor do I have an AE credit card and 370k AE points still seems very low to me. That's like a year of flying for a lot of people here - 6 moths of flying for several. But somehow this guy who has flown a million miles thinks it's a lot? Doesn't add up.
Did anything say his million was on AC? Or in mileage-earning fares? Or that he had never spent any miles before? I feel like a lot of statements are being made based on a ton of assumptions. The only relevant facts presented are that he clearly flew "a lot", and he had 370k miles expire.

I've spent well over a million miles a year for the past several years (obviously earning more than that), but 370k is a lot even to me. It's not two round-trips to Asia in F, but it's a very nice retirement trip for two.

Maybe it would be worth a robocall if you have more than X miles (where X is probably around 1000) a week before expiry.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did anything say his million was on AC? Or in mileage-earning fares? Or that he had never spent any miles before? I feel like a lot of statements are being made based on a ton of assumptions. The only relevant facts presented are that he clearly flew "a lot", and he had 370k miles expire.

I've spent well over a million miles a year for the past several years (obviously earning more than that), but 370k is a lot even to me. It's not two round-trips to Asia in F, but it's a very nice retirement trip for two.

Maybe it would be worth a robocall if you have more than X miles (where X is probably around 1000) a week before expiry.
Fair on every point.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've long switched from AE to UA. It was not a decision I made lightly at the time, but on the whole it's a switch that was worth it for me. For the longest time since, my sole method of accumulating AE miles was from Esso when I bought gas. But they've switched to PC Points now which works for me since most of my grocery shopping is at Loblaws-banded stores.

So even knowing everything I know, and even being as on top of this whole points thing as I am, I was still surprised today when I logged into my Aeroplan account for the first time in forever, to find that my miles will expire in October. There was no notification via email or any other method; just this note after I logged in to my account. In fact, I actually forgot my AE number when I tried to log in - it's been that long since I've used it.

So yes, it is pretty easy to have miles expire without any real notification.

Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Well October is over 3 months away and per Aeroplan site "Two months before your miles expire, you will be notified by email or mail, as well via banners on aeroplan.com. :
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Twickenham
If he had had 370K Delta miles, they wouldn't have expired.
If he had 370K Delta miles he would have got a roundtrip from JFK to LAX.
Twickenham and m.y like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.