FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Ontario man loses 370,000 Aeroplan miles saved for retirement (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1969019-ontario-man-loses-370-000-aeroplan-miles-saved-retirement.html)

BF263533 May 14, 2019 1:04 am

Originally Posted by mapleg (Post 31088600)
Man in question has only 370k miles, yet claims flown over 1 million miles. Pretty poor earning rare considering he was saving them up for retirement.

Hope his other retirement investments are handled in a more professional manner.

I think I had earned like 3+ million on United, now only about 300000. I was saving for retirement but when United started raising first class international award miles I burned quickly 1 million miles over the last 10 years. I had a freind who had to pay $100 to get 160K United miles back. Because of illness he did not leave the house for 32 months, and the time he was trying to fly, Unied was 2 1/2 hours late in departing, and he would miss connection, and did not take the flight because he could not be stranded in Houston overnight. United did not give him credit for the paid tickets for a few flights that he could not take.

diburning May 14, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by pitz (Post 31098957)
Does Krisflyer sell points in their program to other businesses for distribution to customers? Can you get a Krisflyer credit card? Or is it exclusively a FFP?

Yes and Yes. They sell miles directly, they also allow credit card points transfers (so, they are essentially selling to credit card companies, who then sell them to you, paid for by your credit card's flexible currency). There are also various Singapore Krisflyer Amex cards, and UOB Mastercards, none of which have any sort of benefit that negates the 3-year hard expiration.

jrpallante May 14, 2019 7:13 am

Nice thought, but...

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 31090278)
2yrs back, I found myself in the YYZ Signature Suite surrounded by million milers. I talked to a (retirement age) father and middle age son. Singapore and India, paid J, every few weeks. They both had over a million Aeroplan miles but had never redeemed any. I did my good dead for the year and showed them FT and the mini RTW threads. The fact that they had never expired seemed to be dumb luck rather than any planning.

I think a ton of people don't book their own flights (during work careers) and a ton of people don't check their email spam filter.

The law on gift cards / points cited upthread seems to (barely) allowing expiration of points.... That needs changed to stipulate that multiple reminder methods need to be employed. Date of mailing a physical letter or post card, and email send logs should be sufficient.

//oh what fun that would be to query a list of accounts that are due to expire and gift tens of thousands of them each 1 mile. :) Of course, this would totally wreck accounting forecasts for wiping poings off the books.

That is a nice thought, similar to the nice folks who feed an expired parking meter for a stranger. Unfortunately, your plan is not possible: A) the minimum transfer is 1,000 miles, B) you can only make 5 transfers per year, and C) there are additional FU fees and taxes involved, though Aeroplan will not disclose those unless you are actually ready to transfer the miles.

yyznomad May 15, 2019 8:14 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31098902)

1. Does Aeroplan hide the expiration date/policy or make it hard to find, or use really small font? (like Hilton)

@diburning

On the member's account "Overview" section, there is an "Account Expiry" section that displays a 12 Month Account Expiry "Account Expiration Date".

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4f360d5866.png

s0ssos May 15, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31086366)
Maybe it would be better if the expiration were at 18 or 24 months. But, it is not. It is 12 months. None of us can account for why this particular individual let the deadline pass and why he ignored what AE says would have been two warnings. But, he apparently did. The result seems fair as does the recovery method which still gets the consumer tickets at what seems to be a decent price, if not more than he had planned.

I see one expiration notice. When I get "offers" every week from Aeroplan.

smilee May 15, 2019 4:35 pm

How is this a new story? If he had 370K Delta miles, it would have barely been enough at the saver level for a return trip in business class for him and his wife.

The way mileage programs are devaluing these days, probably in the near future 370K Aeroplan won't even get you a return ticket to Europe in business class.

mapleg May 16, 2019 12:50 am

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 31105523)
How is this a new story? If he had 370K Delta miles, it would have barely been enough at the saver level for a return trip in business class for him and his wife.

The way mileage programs are devaluing these days, probably in the near future 370K Aeroplan won't even get you a return ticket to Europe in business class.

Perhaps article could have been entitled “man flies a million miles, yet still does not understand his points can expire”.

RangerNS May 16, 2019 6:52 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31103895)
I see one expiration notice. When I get "offers" every week from Aeroplan.

Well, until reading an offer gives you points, they still expire after a year of not manipulating points :)

Alternative snark: If you took them up on any then your expiration date would reset.

More seriously, I'm not sure your point. The point expiry policy hasn't changed. The policy is the policy. There are new weekly offers.

s0ssos May 16, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 31107262)
Well, until reading an offer gives you points, they still expire after a year of not manipulating points :)

Alternative snark: If you took them up on any then your expiration date would reset.

More seriously, I'm not sure your point. The point expiry policy hasn't changed. The policy is the policy. There are new weekly offers.

Actually, it used to be the model that viewing ads made you money (remember the days of dialup free internet with ads?)

But actually, even after they "expire" you have a grace period, I'm not sure how long, but I did do a transaction after my expiration date and my miles did not expire then (this was last year though, better check again to see when they expire)

WaytoomuchEurope May 16, 2019 9:30 am

I honestly can't believe this is still being discussed 1 week later. I can't believe it was a story to begin with.

The rules are fair and they are clearly stated. AE sends out warning messages when expiry approaches.

This "million miler" goofed. Sucks to be him. His fault and not a story.

BTW - Is it just me or does the fact that this is about only 370k miles detract from the already pretty weak story?

Twickenham May 16, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 31105523)
If he had 370K Delta miles, it would have barely been enough at the saver level for a return trip in business class for him and his wife.

If he had had 370K Delta miles, they wouldn't have expired.

yyznomad May 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope (Post 31107778)
I honestly can't believe this is still being discussed 1 week later. I can't believe it was a story to begin with.

You must be new here. :p

patriwang May 16, 2019 1:23 pm

To be honest, 370k after a whole-life-career-flying doesn't sound a lot. This guy must haven't been to FlyerTalk before and learn all the tricks to quickly accumulate the miles. LOL

yyznomad May 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by patriwang (Post 31108570)
To be honest, 370k after a whole-life-career-flying doesn't sound a lot. This guy must haven't been to FlyerTalk before and learn all the tricks to quickly accumulate the miles. LOL

With this being your 2nd first post, Welcome to FT (finally brave enough to post?)! :)

WaytoomuchEurope May 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by patriwang (Post 31108570)

I don't even use any tricks nor do I have an AE credit card and 370k AE points still seems very low to me. That's like a year of flying for a lot of people here - 6 moths of flying for several. But somehow this guy who has flown a million miles thinks it's a lot? Doesn't add up.