Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can I check an additional bag at stopover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can I check an additional bag at stopover?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Diamond
Question Can I check an additional bag at stopover?

Flying SFO-YYZ-YGK, will check a bag at SFO to YGK. Have six hours in YYZ, plan to go do some shopping around the airport. Could I check an additional bag at YYZ to YGK?

Thanks in advance for your help

drumbo
Old May 8, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by drumbo
Flying SFO-YYZ-YGK, will check a bag at SFO to YGK. Have six hours in YYZ, plan to go do some shopping around the airport. Could I check an additional bag at YYZ to YGK?

Thanks in advance for your help

drumbo
Yes, and the concierge can do that for you as well. (the additional bag check, not the shopping)
Old May 8, 2019, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, and the concierge can do that for you as well.
I find it odd to see suggestions like this along with complaints that there's never a concierge available.

Please don't use the concierge for things that every agent is fully capable of doing. In YYZ, it's going to take you extra time to use the concierge, since their office doesn't have a baggage belt.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I find it odd to see suggestions like this along with complaints that there's never a concierge available.

Please don't use the concierge for things that every agent is fully capable of doing. In YYZ, it's going to take you extra time to use the concierge, since their office doesn't have a baggage belt.
Was only directly answering the OP's question as I've done this before when a weird situation was thrust upon me and they were very helpful. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż
At my height of S100K-ism, I used the concierge services an average of 10 times a year, and all the other times they reached out to me unsolicited. But I don't need to justify anything here anyway.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, and the concierge can do that for you as well. (the additional bag check, not the shopping)
Great! Thank you
Old May 8, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Yes, not planning to use the concierge, unless an issue arises, dedicated SE100K lines in YYZ are usually very fast.

thanks again!
Old May 8, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by drumbo
Yes, not planning to use the concierge, unless an issue arises, dedicated SE100K lines in YYZ are usually very fast.

thanks again!
The SE100k line agents likely have more training & experience than the junior (new hire) concierges at YYZ.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Where was I recently where they were advertising a (not Air Canada obviously) concierge for shopping in the airport? Sign was in English so maybe LHR T2?

So maybe someone can do your shopping too ;-)
Old May 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Where was I recently where they were advertising a (not Air Canada obviously) concierge for shopping in the airport? Sign was in English so maybe LHR T2?

So maybe someone can do your shopping too ;-)
I know I saw a desk by the BA lounges about 6 weeks back (wasn't clear if BA affiliated as it was directly by the lounge on one of the upper floors), but that was T5.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: hahaha
Although the question's been answered, I just wanted to throw this additional data point. Was flying the final leg on my international ticket (AC) and it was a domestic hop. Our baggage allowance was already maxed out (2) so the YEG desk just treated our newly shopped bag as a third, with overage ($250?). Simple!
Old May 9, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
Although the question's been answered, I just wanted to throw this additional data point. Was flying the final leg on my international ticket (AC) and it was a domestic hop. Our baggage allowance was already maxed out (2) so the YEG desk just treated our newly shopped bag as a third, with overage ($250?). Simple!
So they hit you with the full int'l baggage fee, even though you only had a final domestic segment remaining?

Wow... Probably fully dictated per the fare rules, but that's pretty harsh....
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
In YYZ, it's going to take you extra time to use the concierge, since their office doesn't have a baggage belt.
Ummmmm have you been to their office in YYZ? It does have a belt (although not at the front where the desk is). 100%.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Ummmmm have you been to their office in YYZ? It does have a belt (although not at the front where the desk is). 100%.
Yes, around the back room on the left.
Maybe Nomad has been bluffing all these years about being SE?
Old May 9, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In YYZ, it's going to take you extra time to use the concierge, since their office doesn't have a baggage belt.
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Yes, around the back room on the left.
Maybe Nomad has been bluffing all these years about being SE?
You mean cow.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by pitz
So they hit you with the full int'l baggage fee, even though you only had a final domestic segment remaining?

Wow... Probably fully dictated per the fare rules, but that's pretty harsh....
It stung but what could you do? heheh

I have another data point about an itinerary PEK-YVR-YEG (6h to visit family)-YYZ in Y. We shortchecked full baggage allowance to YEG (Air Canada priority desk in YVR helped with that), and we took off all of our bags to give to YEG family as gifts. Then I repacked a new bag for the YYZ trip, and they were able to see that we had deducted 2 bags alighting at YEG (meaning our baggage allowance was now 0/2) and check in another for YYZ (baggage allowance back at 1/2). So very fair indeed!!!

So the AC IT for bagging isn't all bad IME

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.