Spend accounting for AC vs. WJ

Old May 8, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, HH
Spend accounting for AC vs. WJ

Does anyone know if AC and WJ account for spending the same way? Reason why I ask is as follows.

I've been following Flyertalk on and off for years, never contributed anything because I'm only a semi-frequent traveler. Not the general public who mostly fly once or twice a year but also have never earned any status in the past. Changed job last year and traveling more but still nowhere near most on this forum.

However, looking at the first 4 months and the remaining 8 of this year, I seem to have arrived at the following conclusion: WJ is much better for the semi-frequent domestic business travelers than AC:
1. Since Jan 1, I've flown with AC on 16 AQS, earned a pathetic 3796 AQM and spent $4,619 AQD;
2. For the remainder of the year, I'm guaranteed to reach 24 AQS, decent likelihood to exceed that and earn my first status. But nowhere near required AQM and way beyond required AQD;
3. No telling if I'll be traveling this much next year, likelihood is low;
4. Put all this together, if I fly AC, every year would be a stretch for me to reach E25K but guaranteed silver and high likelihood of reaching WJ Gold. Making it a no-brainer for me to convert to WJ starting 2021 if I don't maintain AC E25K in 2020.

Which circles back to my original question, do they account for spending the same? Would my current $4,619 AQD be equivalent if I had flown on WJ assuming the fares were close? Meaning I'd already be close to WJ Gold by now.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by chunerrr
Does anyone know if AC and WJ account for spending the same way? Reason why I ask is as follows.

I've been following Flyertalk on and off for years, never contributed anything because I'm only a semi-frequent traveler. Not the general public who mostly fly once or twice a year but also have never earned any status in the past. Changed job last year and traveling more but still nowhere near most on this forum.

However, looking at the first 4 months and the remaining 8 of this year, I seem to have arrived at the following conclusion: WJ is much better for the semi-frequent domestic business travelers than AC:
1. Since Jan 1, I've flown with AC on 16 AQS, earned a pathetic 3796 AQM and spent $4,619 AQD;
2. For the remainder of the year, I'm guaranteed to reach 24 AQS, decent likelihood to exceed that and earn my first status. But nowhere near required AQM and way beyond required AQD;
3. No telling if I'll be traveling this much next year, likelihood is low;
4. Put all this together, if I fly AC, every year would be a stretch for me to reach E25K but guaranteed silver and high likelihood of reaching WJ Gold. Making it a no-brainer for me to convert to WJ starting 2021 if I don't maintain AC E25K in 2020.

Which circles back to my original question, do they account for spending the same? Would my current $4,619 AQD be equivalent if I had flown on WJ assuming the fares were close? Meaning I'd already be close to WJ Gold by now.
IMHO, you're trying to compare apples and oranges... but that's just MHO.
You'll need to also compare the benefits of WS G vs. AC P25K and other factors including fare types and rules, and those aren't identical with AC and WS.
Also, if your work begins to take you to places where WS doesn't fly but AC does, then you'll need to also take that into account.

But if WS works for you at this juncture, then more power to you.
5mm likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Best to check the WS website.

"Subject to the exclusions below, annual qualifying spend is one hundred per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights you have flown within a qualifying year and, twenty per cent of the individual portion of the base price of eligible WestJet Vacations packages you have booked on or after August 20, 2018 and completed within a qualifying year."

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/contac...estjet-rewards

So, AC uses Base Fare and YQ, WS uses Base Fare - I assume they don't tack on YQ. It should be the same.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Best to check the WS website.

"Subject to the exclusions below, annual qualifying spend is one hundred per cent of the amount spent on eligible published base fares for WestJet-marketed flights you have flown within a qualifying year and, twenty per cent of the individual portion of the base price of eligible WestJet Vacations packages you have booked on or after August 20, 2018 and completed within a qualifying year."

So, AC uses Base Fare and YQ, WS uses Base Fare - I assume they don't tack on YQ. It should be the same.
Appreciated and forgot good friend Google. Found AC AQD definition (can't post URL due to fewer than 5 posts). I think that answers my question.

If anyone has feedback/disagreement on my specific scenario I welcome the insights. Using corporate agency I'm only allowed to book lowest logical fare, hence the low AQM earning power. The only way for me to maintain status with AC is through segments, which I have a hard time seeing myself doing year after year. Earning any sort of status with WS would be so much easier and I assume it's better to have some sort of status than none at all.
Old May 8, 2019, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Pick the status based on the airline you want to fly, not vice versa.
Jebby_ca, 5mm, Bohemian1 and 3 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And the benefits you might accrue once you get some status -- priority check-in, free luggage, Lounge access etc.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Academic
And the benefits you might accrue once you get some status -- priority check-in, free luggage, Lounge access etc.
No, that's pretty much the opposite of what I said.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
No, that's pretty much the opposite of what I said.
OK. I understand now. I guess my feeling is that the only reason for flying a particular airline is what else you're going to get. Especially if you're in Y, there's not much difference between the hard products, except maybe for seat pitch.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I don't get it. For someone that doesn't fly that many segments per year, wouldn't you choose to achieve some sort of status (vs. none) and choose the airline that you can actually achieve that status because of it?

Maybe I'm better suited to stay off this forum.

Last edited by chunerrr; May 8, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old May 8, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
I don't get it. For someone that doesn't fly that many segments per year, wouldn't you choose to achieve some sort of status (vs. none) and choose the airline that you can actually achieve that status because of it?
If that is how you want to prioritize getting status, then go for it.

However, @canadiancow is giving some experienced advice... and I agree with it, although again that's MHO.

When I first started flying, I had the same thought - just get status on whatever I could.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

I appreciate the challenges. Had always had a slight preference flying AC over WS. I'll get a taste of P25K later 2019 and all of 2020 and will strive to maintain it. We shall see.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Using corporate agency I'm only allowed to book lowest logical fare, hence the low AQM earning power.
Splitting miles and status across programs (snide aside: especially one with no global partnership) isn't "logical".

I've yet to make that argument, but I am willing to die on that particular hill if and when necessary.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

Maybe I'm better suited to stay off this forum.
Status and $3 will get you a coffee. If you are into braging rights, you do you. What from status do you want?

For *me*, flying from Halifax to a few Canadian and mostly US destinations, AC (and UA via *A) is and effective lazy choice. Status makes the 140 segments/year tolerable.

​​​​​​
Old May 8, 2019, 1:36 pm

OP,

Beware chasing status, there are many on this board who will likely envy you. By not having allegiance to a specific airline you have the freedom to choose the flight schedule, etc. that best suits your needs. Instead of chasing status you might be better served getting a credit card such as the Amex Platinum card which can get you lounge access, etc. And, as someone else mentioned does either WS or AC get you to all of the places you need to go? Even if you could concentrate your flying on a specific airline, you might still have to split your flying to get where you need to.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy having my various statuses, but its like an addiction. At year end, I start spending personal money and making trips I likely shouldn't just to renew if I'm short of the required cut-off (which is what the companies want you to do).
TechnoTourist and Symmetre like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@YEG USER is correct. Don't chase status.
That way, it's one less person to compete for upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.