Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan: one way to Europe 1 with CAI layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan: one way to Europe 1 with CAI layover

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Cool Aeroplan: one way to Europe 1 with CAI layover

Hi, trying to book a one-way trip YYZ to Europe 1 and maximize it with three consecutive layovers (<24h):
YYZ-IST (layover in IST)
IST-CAI (layover in CAI)
CAI-ATH (layover in ATH)
ATH-FCO.

YYZ-FCO's MPM (7500+) would allow such routing (less than 7300). Wonder anyone has done anything similar? Would have to call Aeroplan to book, not sure whether it would violate any of their routing rules considering it crosses into North Africa at one point.

I can end up anywhere in Europe 1, the destination does not have to be FCO. But it seems no other places would provide the required MPM (checked Switzerland and Austria already).
Old May 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
no

No stopovers on one-way reward travel:
Can you do a stop over on a one way reward ticket?
Old May 7, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I am aware that no stopover for one-way award. But these are layovers, they will all be less than 24h.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If that MPM is for real, and u can find the unicorn that is YYZIST, I don't see why the routing would not be allowed on the phone.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have done YOW-YYZ-IST-NCE as a Europe 1 redemption, but I am not sure how that would be affected by adding the CAI layover in there.

Please report back and let us know how it goes.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:17 am
Original Poster

@rankourabu I used the java script on the Aeroplan search page to get the MPM. Was not aware of the rarity of YYZ-IST. Do you have any suggestion on alternatives with reasonable availabilities in J? I saw plenty of YYZ-FRA-IST, of course that comes with $600 scamcharges. How about YYZ-ZRH on Swiss as the first leg, is it rare too?
Old May 7, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by GeorgeO
@rankourabu I used the java script on the Aeroplan search page to get the MPM. Was not aware of the rarity of YYZ-IST. Do you have any suggestion on alternatives with reasonable availabilities in J? I saw plenty of YYZ-FRA-IST, of course that comes with $600 scamcharges. How about YYZ-ZRH on Swiss as the first leg, is it rare too?
YYZ-ZRH is operated by AC, not LX. You are thinking of YUL-ZRH. And yes, availability on that route is more common than YYZ-IST on TK.

Last edited by jasdou; May 7, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasdou
YYZ-ZRH is operated by AC, not LX. You are thinking of YUL-ZRH. And yes, availability on that route is more common than YYZ-IST on TK.
Yes, YUL absolutely. Thanks
Old May 7, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can probably stll fit in YYZ-BOS-IST/ZRH, or YYZ-IAD, or YYZ-EWR-CPH by SK?
GeorgeO likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
If you don't mind changing up the order, I'm seeing availability on a couple of random dates, YYZ-CAI-IST-FCO, with the first two legs operated by MS and the last leg by TK. I'm still having trouble imagining that MPM is 7500 when the direct distance is only around 4300, but great if it is.
GeorgeO likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Maybe look at BRI as destination? It's MPM is 8217 from YYZ so you could do:
YYZ-YUL(AC)-ZRH(LX)-CAI(LX)-ATH(A3 or MS)-IST(TK)-BRI(TK) which is all decent or good carriers, low YQ and generally good availability at 7415 total miles.

Could even play around with the order as long as you make sure either ATH or IST is last before BRI. If you're extra adventurous you could look at adding some other stops between those cities - HBE and BEY come to mind. YYZ-YUL(AC)-ZRH(LX)-CAI(LX)-HBE(MS)-BEY(MS)-ATH(A3)-IST(TK)-BRI(TK) is 7943 miles so allowed, though I'm not sure if there is a maximum permitted number of legs on a 1 way!

Hope it works out for you!

Last edited by opentag; May 7, 2019 at 5:50 pm
Old May 7, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the details, this certainly looks exciting. I think the max number of segments is 10 or 12, so this is well within the limit ;-)
Old May 7, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm pretty sure I did more than 12 in 2018, but I definitely did more than 10.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the details, this certainly looks exciting. I think the max number of segments is 10 or 12, so this is well within the limit ;-)
It should be 16. It was blogged about somewhere, you'd have to google it. Aeroplan used to have a 10 segment limit, but that hasnt applied for a while.

When I flew my FONE6 rtw two years ago, there was something about airline systems not being able to handle more than 16 segments, and that seems to be more a broad limitation than an Aeroplan rule.
canadiancow and GeorgeO like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:07 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
YYZ-IST on TK isn't so bad in my experience. I was able to get 4 business seats (2 each way) last year via Aeroplan; booking at the 5 month before travel mark.

If you can hit a pocket of good TK availability, then you will be fine. You might try Boston and Dulles, which I have had success as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.