Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Aeroplan: one way to Europe 1 with CAI layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Aeroplan: one way to Europe 1 with CAI layover

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by opentag
Maybe look at BRI as destination? It's MPM is 8217 from YYZ so you could do:
YYZ-YUL(AC)-ZRH(LX)-CAI(LX)-ATH(A3 or MS)-IST(TK)-BRI(TK) which is all decent or good carriers, low YQ and generally good availability at 7415 total miles.

Could even play around with the order as long as you make sure either ATH or IST is last before BRI. If you're extra adventurous you could look at adding some other stops between those cities - HBE and BEY come to mind. YYZ-YUL(AC)-ZRH(LX)-CAI(LX)-HBE(MS)-BEY(MS)-ATH(A3)-IST(TK)-BRI(TK) is 7943 miles so allowed, though I'm not sure if there is a maximum permitted number of legs on a 1 way!

Hope it works out for you!
I have been looking into ZRH-CAI on LX and saw something strange. YUL-ZRH flight LX87 lands at ZRH at 6am. Currently there is an LX238 leaving ZRH at 9:30am for CAI, which looks good. However, starting from Jun 30th, LX238 will be changed to 10pm departure and arriving at CAI at about 2am. It looks it is going to stay, as I checked the schedule all the way till Apr 2020. So I would be stuck at ZRH for a day if I took the flight. Why would LX want to change the flight to such an ungodly hour? New trend that people like to visit Egypt at midnight?
Old May 10, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by GeorgeO
I have been looking into ZRH-CAI on LX and saw something strange. YUL-ZRH flight LX87 lands at ZRH at 6am. Currently there is an LX238 leaving ZRH at 9:30am for CAI, which looks good. However, starting from Jun 30th, LX238 will be changed to 10pm departure and arriving at CAI at about 2am. It looks it is going to stay, as I checked the schedule all the way till Apr 2020. So I would be stuck at ZRH for a day if I took the flight. Why would LX want to change the flight to such an ungodly hour? New trend that people like to visit Egypt at midnight?
Better utilization of aircraft? Cheaper landing slots? Plane needed somewhere else?
Better timing for return connections when the plane arriving from Egypt arrives in the early am?
Old May 10, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If that MPM is for real, and u can find the unicorn that is YYZIST, I don't see why the routing would not be allowed on the phone.
As noted, this transits a second region which would be a problem, and there is backtracking (CAI-ATH) after IST-CAI. Not sure that's permitted unless there is no STAR carrier flying the route.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As noted, this transits a second region which would be a problem, and there is backtracking (CAI-ATH) after IST-CAI. Not sure that's permitted unless there is no STAR carrier flying the route.
As far as I know there are not Aeroplan rules regarding regions transited. Region is only relevant for the origin and the most distant stopover/destination location, no? Believe as long as the route from origin to identified destination doesn't exceed the maximum permitted mileage (nor the maximum number of permitted segments) then regions passed through are not restricted.
Doesn't look like proposed routing goes twice through the same city so imagine by 'backtracking' you mean changing direction - a segment going back west when the rest have been going east. Believe that's a rule for RTW routing for carriers like ANA but aren't a factor for Aeroplan routings.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
Old May 11, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by opentag
As far as I know there are not Aeroplan rules regarding regions transited. Region is only relevant for the origin and the most distant stopover/destination location, no? Believe as long as the route from origin to identified destination doesn't exceed the maximum permitted mileage (nor the maximum number of permitted segments) then regions passed through are not restricted.
Doesn't look like proposed routing goes twice through the same city so imagine by 'backtracking' you mean changing direction - a segment going back west when the rest have been going east. Believe that's a rule for RTW routing for carriers like ANA but aren't a factor for Aeroplan routings.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding?
You are correct on all points.
only thing that matters is MPM
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.