Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Why can't I check in for my flight tomorrow morning?

Question: Why can't I check in for my flight tomorrow morning?

Old May 3, 19, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX MR, Aeroplan, UA Mileage Plus, Priority Pass
Why can't I check in for my flight tomorrow morning?

A family friend is flying TPA-SFO-YYC tomorrow morning, but the AC app/website will not let him check-in. It is past T-24 to departure, so I am not sure what the issue is here. It is populating the same screen that appears when you attempt to check-in prior to T-24 hours to departure, but the flight leaves at 6:45 am tomorrow morning. The first flight is UA codeshare to SFO, but the flight to YYC is AC. The booking was also done via Aeroplan.

Can anyone provide some guidance as to what may be going on here?

Last edited by codfather; May 3, 19 at 7:22 pm Reason: Minor errors when typing original message
Old May 3, 19, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
If the first segment is operated by UA, head over to United.com to check in online.
Old May 3, 19, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX MR, Aeroplan, UA Mileage Plus, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
If the first segment is operated by UA, head over to United.com to check in online.
We just tried that, but the locator is an AC one. Going through the UA site, unfortunately, did not work.
Old May 3, 19, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather View Post
We just tried that, but the locator is an AC one. Going through the UA site, unfortunately, did not work.
Nowadays your reservation on aircanada.com should show the locator(s) of other airlines.
Old May 3, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Nowadays your reservation on aircanada.com should show the locator(s) of other airlines.
if it doesn't show there for whatever reason, call either AC/AE with the AC PNR, or UA with the ticket number.
Old May 3, 19, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
What @Stranger said... or try to use the ticket number.

If aircanada.com doesn’t have the UA locator, you can call Air Canada reservations to get the UA locator as well.
Old May 4, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: Altitude E75K, Aeroplan Black, Bonvoy Titanium, Hiton Gold, UA MP Silver
And you can check-in for the AC leg by putting SFO as your point of departure once it will be 24 hours before that flight.
Old May 4, 19, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have had issues with checkin on trans border flights ,twice in last 6 months. Both times I received the SSSS code once I did get boarding passes.
Old May 4, 19, 8:04 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
Was going to say smells like SSSS (Super Special Security Screening)
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 11:03 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
A family friend is flying TPA-SFO-YYC tomorrow morning, but the AC app/website will not let him check-in. It is past T-24 to departure, so I am not sure what the issue is here. It is populating the same screen that appears when you attempt to check-in prior to T-24 hours to departure, but the flight leaves at 6:45 am tomorrow morning. The first flight is UA codeshare to SFO, but the flight to YYC is AC. The booking was also done via Aeroplan.

Can anyone provide some guidance as to what may be going on here?

Not to worry, what this means is that Air Canada does not want to ruin the surprise they have for your friends. When they go to the counter or Kios machine, they have to provide their NEXUS/Pass Ports and then they will be provided with a very special boarding pass with the distinctive four letters of SSSS. Many folks here can explain what SSSS stands for, but I like to say, this means the fine folks at CATSA will be treating your friends with extra care and attention upon arrival at US security. You can rest assured that they will be well looked after and no detail will be left unchecked as the SSSS is really for special folks. They should accept this as a badge of honour as they are not only contributing but also participating in one of the most important features of any airport.
Old May 5, 19, 5:06 am

If it's SSSS just get the other person to take all your super-special electronics through regular screening. heck, have them take your carry on bags too. That way, it speeds up the process.
Old May 5, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
Not to worry, what this means is that Air Canada does not want to ruin the surprise they have for your friends. When they go to the counter or Kios machine, they have to provide their NEXUS/Pass Ports and then they will be provided with a very special boarding pass with the distinctive four letters of SSSS. Many folks here can explain what SSSS stands for, but I like to say, this means the fine folks at CATSA will be treating your friends with extra care and attention upon arrival at US security. You can rest assured that they will be well looked after and no detail will be left unchecked as the SSSS is really for special folks. They should accept this as a badge of honour as they are not only contributing but also participating in one of the most important features of any airport.
Since AC doesn’t fly TPA-SFO it is almost certainly just an issue with not being able to check in for a UA flight with AC. His friend needs to check in with the operating carrier.
Old May 5, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post

Since AC doesn’t fly TPA-SFO it is almost certainly just an issue with not being able to check in for a UA flight with AC. His friend needs to check in with the operating carrier.
True, I find United funny with code shared AC booked flights. I usually get a non-boarding pass when I check in T-24 as they need to see my passport/Nexus before I can receive my actual boarding pass. When I am on a sole united flight within the USA, I have no issues!
Old May 5, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, UA*1K, Princess Elite
I find with UA/AC where UA is the first flight, if I wait until 24hrs prior to the AC flight (likely 18 or less before the original UA flight) and then attempt check-in I have greater success.

As for UA needing passport, since I have both a UA MP number as well as an AC Altitude number, I have my passport and nexus stored with my UA profile, and even if I am crediting to a different program I end up being able to check-in more often than not.
Old May 5, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar View Post
Was going to say smells like SSSS (Super Special Security Screening)
If OP does not even have the US locator, he won't even be able to access the system. So no need to go that far to explain...

Search this Thread