Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using remaining ticket for on UA for USA origin/destination

Old May 1, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Had a trip to Canada planned but it was canceled. Now have an unused ticket for Air Canada. Hoping that I can book codeshare on Air Canada ticket stock for USA origin/destination on United metal.

Having a hard time searching on Air Canada website, so thinking this might not be possible.

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I know quite a few work flyers that buy AC (non-codeshare) domestic tickets on United's website to earn thousands of miles more than buying them from AC, so why wouldnt you be able to buy domestic UA tickets on AC's website/phone?
Old May 1, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I'm wondering if this is a website limitation or Air Canada policy in general (even if I call in).

Last edited by elbejt2; May 1, 2019 at 8:52 am Reason: comment
Old May 1, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Please let us know what happens when you call. This could be an AC effort to avoid potential cabotage violations through a less than stellar IT system which requires manual review.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by elbejt2
Had a trip to Canada planned but it was canceled. Now have an unused ticket for Air Canada. Hoping that I can book codeshare on Air Canada ticket stock for USA origin/destination on United metal.

Having a hard time searching on Air Canada website, so thinking this might not be possible.

Thanks.
Let me get this straight to hopefully provide a proper response. I assume:
  • You bought a ticket USA to Canada on aircanada.com
  • You cancelled the trip and now have an unused credit to use with Air Canada
  • You'd like to apply your credit for a domestic USA purchase ("Hoping that I can book codeshare on Air Canada ticket stock for USA origin/destination on United metal").
If so, you won't be able to use aircanada.com for this. You cannot book Air Canada codeshare flights on a stand-alone basis within the USA; you'll need to be connecting from a flight to/from Canada as Air Canada will not sell "Air Canada" flights for itineraries that are entirely within another country (Air Canada won't have any fare basis that cover this situation) as this would be cabotage and not permissible under USA law.

You may be able to call in to purchase UA marketed/operated flights on 014 ticket stock, but this might not be cheap. Several UA fares have surcharges that are applied if the ticket isn't issued on its own (016) stock. You'll also have to pay any change fees associated with the original ticket, and you might not be able to combine the outbound and return segments into a single one-way credit to use on your UA flight - in other words this might be cost prohibitive. You might be better leaving the credit in case you end up travelling to Canada within the next year, or otherwise just forfeit the credit amount.
Adam Smith likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.