Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Etihad Airways new Aeroplan partner as of May 1, 2019

Etihad Airways new Aeroplan partner as of May 1, 2019

Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Be careful. I was told today, on an unrelated matter, that they're allowed to retroactively change routing rules on you, thereby invalidating any bookings.
And we're allowed to file DOT complaints for deceptive and unfair practices.
canadiancow and jaundicedave like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:09 pm

Be careful. I was told today, on an unrelated matter, that they're allowed to retroactively change routing rules on you, thereby invalidating any bookings.
Then it'll be off to the DOT for me. I have a confirmed, ticketed reservation for which I transferred over a significant number of points from Amex, and if it's cancelled due to some ex post facto policy change, I will pursue every option available to me.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I'm not doubting this is what you were told, but this would be absolutely ridiculous!

So AC/AE make up their own rules on what routings are permitted, issue tickets based on the rules they created, and then supposedly can retroactively change the rules and cancel the booking?

You can't make that stuff up!
jaundicedave likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:16 pm

I'd be very surprised if they pulled back any bookings already confirmed (based on what they did with the 90% bonus points offer), but I bet the loophole has definitely been closed given all the attention its had in the last 36 hours!
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm not doubting this is what you were told, but this would be absolutely ridiculous!

So AC/AE make up their own rules on what routings are permitted, issue tickets based on the rules they created, and then supposedly can retroactively change the rules and cancel the booking?

You can't make that stuff up!
I agree that it would be ridiculous - but would this really be much different than a mistake fare?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Gunner14
I agree that it would be ridiculous - but would this really be much different than a mistake fare?
The argument often made for error fares is that "it should have been obvious to the customer to be an error based on the extremely low price".

No such thing here - the price is identical. And no obvious reason routing shouldn't be allowed, given the whacky MPM-compliant routings AP currently allows.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Are people able to get through to phone agents? The long wait times over?
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The argument often made for error fares is that "it should have been obvious to the customer to be an error based on the extremely low price".

No such thing here - the price is identical. And no obvious reason routing shouldn't be allowed, given the whacky MPM-compliant routings AP currently allows.
Understand that - but couldn't they just point to the fact that jfk-auh-syd is cheaper than jfk-auh as evidence of an "obvious reason".
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Understand that - but couldn't they just point to the fact that jfk-auh-syd is cheaper than jfk-auh as evidence of an "obvious reason".
The same applies to MLE and other destinations, too. Those rules have existed for a long time, way before EY.

e.g

YVR-TPE-SIN-PER is MORE expensive than YVR-TPE-SIN-PER-JNB, and the latter is most definitely a valid routing.

That routing has been around for a long time and has never been the cause of any post-facto routing rule changes.

same applies to any currently existing Middle East/North Africa routing, where continuing onto JNB will drop the price than if you ended in north africa, such as CAI-JNB.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE
Is this not very similar to that time when Aeroplan "accidentally" released LX F space and all those confirmed tickets were subsequently cancelled?

I am hoping those who managed to book it will get to fly it but I would not pack my bags just yet. Not to mention the risk of travel restrictions still being applied, reduced catering, mandatory PPE and whatnot.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Just got off the phone with Aeroplan, seem that it's not allowed in the system

Interesting observation: when looking up NYC-SYD on EF, it doesn't display the MPM. I wonder if this has to do with why it's not being permitted on Aeroplan's end
Old Jun 4, 2020, 5:43 pm

oddly enough aeroplan agent could find availability JFK-SYD in F but not JFK-SIN in F which is what I wanted.

EDIT: It was my account that was mostly the problem. Booked JFK-AUH-SIN in F for 107.5k + $22.31 CAD taxes + $30 CAD phone fee

Ticketed instantly!

Last edited by saaveraward; Jun 4, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jasdou
Is this not very similar to that time when Aeroplan "accidentally" released LX F space and all those confirmed tickets were subsequently cancelled?
I think the difference is at least in that case, there was a glitch with LX, the space wasn't supposed to be made available. And LX F space generally isn't made available. Not that the general public would know that, but certainly the FT community knows about that kind of stuff.

If AC were simply retroactively changing the routing rules to cancel some tickets, that's different, and dirtier, in my view. They didn't publicize any restrictions on routes, and has been pointed out upthread, things like SYD-AUH-NYC are well within MPM, so even sophisticated people had no real reason to suspect it wasn't legit.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think the difference is at least in that case, there was a glitch with LX, the space wasn't supposed to be made available. And LX F space generally isn't made available. Not that the general public would know that, but certainly the FT community knows about that kind of stuff.

If AC were simply retroactively changing the routing rules to cancel some tickets, that's different, and dirtier, in my view. They didn't publicize any restrictions on routes, and has been pointed out upthread, things like SYD-AUH-NYC are well within MPM, so even sophisticated people had no real reason to suspect it wasn't legit.
EY F space also generally isn't made available. I don't see much difference between booking EY F the day it becomes available and booking LX F. My LX F bookings were made over the phone, so if it were "against the rules", an agent could have said no.

My EY F bookings (I think I'm at 5 booked, 4 refunded) have all been made online, so there's actually more of an argument that EY F is simply a mistake.

I still haven't seen any official guidance that redeeming on EY is permitted (if I've missed this, then my apologies). In fact, it crashes the Aeroplan Android app, which one could assume means it's just a bug.

Heck, EY isn't *A, and the only other obvious non-*A partner you can redeem for (CX) requires calling in.

So while I don't actually believe this conclusion, it's much more likely that EY F is a glitch than that LX F was a glitch.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 11:51 pm

What do you mean by "My EY F bookings (I think I'm at 5 booked, 4 refunded)"

Did someone cancel your tickets?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.