Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Sorry if this has already been asked, what current routes are duplicate between AT and AC?
Originally Posted by tcook052
Royal Air Maroc?
^
I on occasion make the same mistake with AT vs. TS.

Exciting times for AC.
Old May 21, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
According to the globe, citing La Presse,
So AC might well be very much in the game. If only to stand against WS.
This is to me the best take on the whole AC involvement in a Transat acquistion: as a defensive play. The main assets, such as they are, are market share and routes. If westjet/Onex had picked those up that would have been quite challenging for AC. You don’t need to buy an airline to get aircraft, especially if that purchase results in acquiring staff, a different business culture, etc., etc., which are all challenges that have to be dealt with. Pick up routes and market share that would otherwise go to one or more competitors and you could be open to risking parts of your core well established business.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
Presuming AC does indeed buy TS and now has "2 discount carriers" on its books, can you see them merging destinations where Rouge and Transat fly once per day into one flight with an upsized plane or will they split the flights so that the flight times are further apart?

For example Rouge flies to BCN daily, whereas Transat flies every day except Mondays during the peak travel season (July and August). Rouge is obviously a 763 aircraft whereas TS flies an A332. Rouge flies out at 20:20 and Transat at 22:30. It's not like AC would begin to add the sardine can 773s into Rouge fleet just to merge the two flights into one, would they?
Old May 21, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
How would TS and AC unions "merge"? Is seniority grandfathered from the TS side? Or is it possible that they will remain separate?
(IANAL and although having been part of a union in the past, I don't know much about them, so I trust that the reader of this post gets the "gist" of what I'm asking)
Old May 21, 2019, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
How would TS and AC unions "merge"? Is seniority grandfathered from the TS side? Or is it possible that they will remain separate?
(IANAL and although having been part of a union in the past, I don't know much about them, so I trust that the reader of this post gets the "gist" of what I'm asking)
How many years did it take for UA/CO or AA/US unions to merge to the point where you could have a mix of them on one flight?

There are lots of issues to work out, and even after the livery is the same, you could very easily have one flight with an AC crew and another with a TS crew.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by wildace
Presuming AC does indeed buy TS and now has "2 discount carriers" on its books, can you see them merging destinations where Rouge and Transat fly once per day into one flight with an upsized plane or will they split the flights so that the flight times are further apart?

For example Rouge flies to BCN daily, whereas Transat flies every day except Mondays during the peak travel season (July and August). Rouge is obviously a 763 aircraft whereas TS flies an A332. Rouge flies out at 20:20 and Transat at 22:30. It's not like AC would begin to add the sardine can 773s into Rouge fleet just to merge the two flights into one, would they?
AC doesn't have enough 777s to merge every duplicate wide body route.
The unknown to us speculators, is the amount of connecting traffic at both ends.
Using your example only, and assuming only connecting passengers from North America, it would be reasonable for one flight to operate from YYZ and the other from YUL.
That would reduce stress at YYZ.
Better yet maybe some frequencies could be added from Western Canada.
Overall it will take a few years to optimize the network. Hopefully more non stops can be added from the Praries and Maritimes.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
How many years did it take for UA/CO or AA/US ....
Or to merge the lists of AC & CP.
No matter what happens some employees will benefit more than others.
Fences will probably be built to protect those who have more to lose.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tracon
AC doesn't have enough 777s to merge every duplicate wide body route.
The unknown to us speculators, is the amount of connecting traffic at both ends.
Using your example only, and assuming only connecting passengers from North America, it would be reasonable for one flight to operate from YYZ and the other from YUL.
That would reduce stress at YYZ.
Better yet maybe some frequencies could be added from Western Canada.
Overall it will take a few years to optimize the network. Hopefully more non stops can be added from the Praries and Maritimes.

Or to merge the lists of AC & CP.
No matter what happens some employees will benefit more than others.
Fences will probably be built to protect those who have more to lose.
I thought when AC and CP merged that it was a protracted drawn out process with the two unions fighting with each other. In the end arbitration. A good arbitrator is one that is skilled at listening to both sides then writing a decision that neither side likes.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fiordland
I thought when AC and CP merged that it was a protracted drawn out process with the two unions fighting with each other. In the end arbitration. A good arbitrator is one that is skilled at listening to both sides then writing a decision that neither side likes.
Hence my question above.
And that was ~20 years ago and I'll go out on a limb that the nature of things have changed since then... (not Dr. Suzuki style though)
Old May 21, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Hence my question above.
And that was ~20 years ago and I'll go out on a limb that the nature of things have changed since then... (not Dr. Suzuki style though)
I don't think much has changed. ....

You have two different unions. Likely only one will be there at the end of the process.

There are some cultural differences as well. Sounds like Transat has there pilots certified for the A320/A330 and can go back and forth as required. AC has some type of progression/seniority process at play with a very different pay scale.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
The first Transat A310 repainted in AC’s livery (C-FRQP)

InstaCredit: https://instagram.com/concept.liveri...=12a7hac0eja39
Old May 22, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: air miles
ACr is not unionized AFAIK so if transat IS unionized how does that affect the absorbtion of transat into rouge?
Old May 22, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
ACr is not unionized AFAIK so if transat IS unionized how does that affect the absorbtion of transat into rouge?
rouge is unionized . cupe for cabin crews .
Old May 22, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
ACr and AC mainline are covered by the same unions, and same Collective Agreements, with ACr generally noted in an LOU.
ffsim likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...tion-not-less/

G&M OpEd:Canada’s skies need more airlines and more competition, not less
Old May 27, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I generally don't like this. We (ie the family) fly Transat to Scotland every year. The reality is the planes used for this route are better than Rouge (when they flew it), even though I have *G (United not AC, like my complimentary upgrades from time to time). I see only an opportunity for reduced service (frequency and choices) with higher fares, which isn't a win for me at all. Generally my experience with AC is just fine (it's been excellent a couple times, and bad a couple times, so a wash) and Transat has always been good (but that is just a small sample size, shouldn't count). In many ways I see them as keeping each other honest on leisure routes, and no one else is flying to Scotland these days without a connection. Sunwing etc may handle the sun destinations fine, but trans Atlantic I think will suffer in particular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.